29 Aug 09 Fireside - Sirius Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
TRF is pleased to announce that David J. Miller of Sirious Rocketry is going to be the guest host for the August Fireside Chat.

It will be an open format with David fielding questions scheduled for 8-10pm Eastern Time on the 22nd of August.

Thanks Dave!!!!:D

============
Re scheduled to 29 August

Last edited:
But????:confused:

That's the second day of NARAM.

Oh, wait! you edited it to Aug 22nd...nevermind.:blush:

You can't edit the title.

I think that's Aug 09 as in August 2009 rather than the 9th of August?

The August Fireside Chat hosted by David Miller of Sirius Rocketry has been rescheduled.

The even will now take place on 29 of August from 8-10pm Eastern time.

Be sure and check to see that your chat applications are working since the big changeover.

Thanks to everyone and thanks to David Miller especially.

Just a reminder, even though it's a sticky, for this upcoming weekend . . .

Thanks for the heads-up. It's done. We're on for the 29th.

We're there and ready to start. Stop on by for some vendor chat!

Dave

Thanks again Dave. It was fun.

Here's the transcript for tonights chat session, in three consecutive parts:

Part I

[18:58] <AKPilot> Good evening to those with us. This evening we'll be speaking to Dave of Sirius Rocketry. Sirius, Dave, is a well-known vendor for many of us. Probably most known for his original kits, such as his 1/64 Saturn V. He also has designed very original space kits such as the Interrogator, the Atlantis, and the Cestris. He's also known for purchasing the molds from Moldin Oldies. Dave, it's your show.
[19:00] <Sirius> Gee, like I am on? AK did his research. Thanks AK. We do do that and more. I am going to toally leave this open to ask questions, talk scale or sci-fi kits, and more.
[19:01] <Sirius> What we are is sort of a hybrid store, I manufacture my own kits and also sell the "Best of the Rest".
[19:01] <Sirius> Just did a revamp of the online store and have doubled in size the last year...
[19:01] <AKPilot> Okay, then I've got to ask the typical question - where do you get your inspiration for your sci fi kits?
[19:02] <AKPilot> They're pretty ingenious!
[19:02] <Sirius> That is a great question...
[19:04] <Sirius> Thank you... It helps to be somewhat of an artist to start with. But there was a prime period in the history of Estes, Centuri and others (70's or so) where I passed by every three fin and a nose cone kit that they had, and went directly for the sci fi stuff...
[19:04] <Sirius> ...and loved them all. I still have origianl Mars Landers, Alien Invaders, etc...
[19:05] <Sirius> ...Those kits intrigued me, and challenged me, and I try to recreate that same feeling with all my kits...
[19:07] <Sirius> I like a fun build, but I also am a huge fan of just about any good sci-fi. You can see a little Trek in one kit, a little homage to 1999 in another, there is a little 2001 on the slate for something in the near future and a few more very original designs in the works for late 2009, early 2010.
[19:08] <AKPilot> Cool. And when will you get to the Eagle from Space 1999? I'm kidding.
[19:08] <Sirius> That would be a challenge, not only with the licensing, but can you imagine a bag full of dowels to construct the skeleton on that beast?
[19:09] <AKPilot> Your Saturn V is well known here in the midwest and across the states. Have you ever thought of complimenting that kit with others, such as a Redstone, Atlas, Saturn IB, etc?
[19:10] *** JAL3 has joined #TheRocketryForum
[19:10] <JAL3> Howdy
[19:11] <Sirius> There has been, and still is, a Saturn 1B in the works. But, if you are familiar with the Saturn V, if I do it, I will do it right! And that takes time, but is well worth it. I do really want to do an Atlas!
[19:11] <AKPilot> Welcome!
[19:12] *** les has joined #TheRocketryForum
[19:13] <Sirius> That is the other passion of mine, besides the sci-fi kits, and that is scale. But it is never anything I want to undertake unless it is well-researched and done correctly.
[19:13] <AKPilot> Dave, since rocketry won the lawsuit concerning HPR motors, has your company seen a renewed emphasis towards the purchase of HPR motors?
[19:15] <Sirius> Yes, in fact you will see them back in the online store within the next week or so. I have already had stock out to local launches and events, and am able to ship HAZMAT. I only had to add about (what seems like ) thousands of skus to the store. But equally, a renewed interest in rocketery in general.
[19:15] <AKPilot> Great!
[19:16] <Sirius> Welcome Les!
[19:16] <JAL3> While he's typing his answer, are we doing the wait until called on format?
[19:16] <AKPilot> Not sure. There's only three of us here.
[19:16] <Sirius> If anyone wants to jump in with a question, I am fine with that.
[19:16] <les> Thanks - This is the first chat I've attended
[19:16] <Sirius> Thanks for coming les!
[19:17] <hazegry> I am paying attention
[19:17] <hazegry> glad there is a renewed intrest
[19:18] <JAL3> It seems that you are famous for the quality of your scale products but it is the science fiction ones which captured my attention. Can you reveal anything about future scifi products coming down the pike?
[19:18] *** sandman has joined #TheRocketryForum
[19:18] <les> Please tell - I love Sci Fi type rockets
[19:11] <Sirius> Welcome JAL
[19:11] <AKPilot> Welcome!
[19:12] *** les has joined #TheRocketryForum
[19:13] <Sirius> That is the other passion of mine, besides the sci-fi kits, and that is scale. But it is never anything I want to undertake unless it is well-researched and done correctly.
[19:13] <AKPilot> Dave, since rocketry won the lawsuit concerning HPR motors, has your company seen a renewed emphasis towards the purchase of HPR motors?
[19:15] <Sirius> Yes, in fact you will see them back in the online store within the next week or so. I have already had stock out to local launches and events, and am able to ship HAZMAT. I only had to add about (what seems like ) thousands of skus to the store. But equally, a renewed interest in rocketery in general.
[19:15] <AKPilot> Great!
[19:16] <Sirius> Welcome Les!
[19:16] <JAL3> While he's typing his answer, are we doing the wait until called on format?
[19:16] <AKPilot> Not sure. There's only three of us here.
[19:16] <Sirius> If anyone wants to jump in with a question, I am fine with that.
[19:16] <les> Thanks - This is the first chat I've attended
[19:16] <Sirius> Thanks for coming les!
[19:17] <hazegry> I am paying attention
[19:17] <hazegry> glad there is a renewed intrest
[19:18] <JAL3> It seems that you are famous for the quality of your scale products but it is the science fiction ones which captured my attention. Can you reveal anything about future scifi products coming down the pike?
[19:18] *** sandman has joined #TheRocketryForum
[19:18] <les> Please tell - I love Sci Fi type rockets
[19:20] <Sirius> If you liked the Cestris, you will like a variant on that model coming next year. Picture the same cockpit on something about 4 feet long. Also, another kit that rings enough of a bell to pay "homage" to a design, but not duplicate it witll be out before the end of the year.
[19:21] <JAL3> Fascinating...more?
[19:21] <les> In time to put on our Christmas Lists?
[19:21] <Sirius> The problem is they are all more complex to develop....I wish I could do a release like that every month. But I think everyone agrees they are worth the wait.
[19:22] <Sirius> les, I am hoping for xmas, yes!
[19:22] *** verb0ss has joined #TheRocketryForum
[19:22] <JAL3> Absolutely worth it.
[19:22] <Sirius> The toughest and longest part of development, is the manual!
[19:22] <verb0ss> hi
[19:23] *** sandman has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[19:23] <Sirius> welcome Sandmand and verb0ss!
[19:23] <Sirius> If the manuals would write themselves...
[19:24] <Sirius> ...those sci fi-type kits would come out much faster! :)
[19:24] <les> Anything someone could do to help?
[19:24] <JAL3> Is it the actual writing or the coming up with illustrations, or finding the right vergiage? Some combination?
[19:27] <Sirius> All of the above! :) Theere is a certain look and consistency you need to have, and I am a stickler for detail and that takes time. Tha manual cannot look like it was scratched out on a notepad. But the scit-fi type kits usuallly wind up with 203 times the steps as a three fins and a nosecone...
[19:27] <Sirius> 203 = 2 or 3
[19:28] <Sirius> and we always want to reflect the quality of our kits, and part of that is in the manual...
[19:28] <Sirius> ...plus sometimes you just have to sit down and DO IT! :)
[19:29] <JAL3> I beg to disagree, to match the model you would have to send out leather bound manuscripts, illuminated and illustrated in a Benedictine abby and price yourself out of the market.
[19:30] <Sirius> I appreciate that JAL! I really do hope that folks find the kits of high quality. A lot of love goes into them.
[19:31] <Sirius> les, the best thing anyone can do is help spread the word about Sirius Rocketry. Being a smaller company, I do not always have the time to do even things like this....my time gets spent in develoipment. Any good words or anything anyone can do to help get the word out is more valuable in my book than anything else.
[19:33] <AKPilot> I think this chat session and the subsequent, printed, transcription on TRF will help with that.
[19:34] <JAL3> Another hosital page. Bye and thanks!
[19:34] *** JAL3 has quit (Quit: Using The Rocketry Forum chat page.)
[19:34] <Sirius> That always helps. Even though we have been around 10 years, sometimes we are one of the best kept secrets in rocketry!
[19:35] <Sirius> Now, I would like to ask a question. How do you percieve our company, and what would you like to see? What do you like, and what do you think we can do better>
[19:37] <AKPilot> Anyone else?
[19:37] <Sirius> ...and as I mentioned before...please pardon the typos, I am trying to type rather quickly. I think that they need to make a man size keyboard instead of this one with the keys so close together...
[19:39] <Sirius> I often wish I could spend more time on TRF, and I used to, but often it comes to splitting time between R&D and all the other stuff. Which is why the word of mouth is so important, and has been one of our best assets.
[19:39] <les> As I said, I love Sci Fi. I've got the USS Atlantis, Interegator, and Cerius. I am planning on taking advantage of some of your Moldin' Oldies. I am definitely looking forward to your new kits
[19:39] <Sirius> Which has also helped me to step up the release schedule for the next few years.
[19:39] <Sirius> Thank you Les. I think you will like the next two or three kits.

[19:40] <Sirius> There is either a love-or-hate relationship...
[19:41] <les> In terms of advertising, I do see your adds in Sport Rocketry - so they help get your word out
[19:41] <Sirius> ...with the amount of decals in our kits. People either love the amount of decals in the kits, or they look intimidating.
[19:42] <Sirius> ...to some anyway!
[19:42] <les> Decals can take a rocket from ho-hum to WOW! Yours go for WOW
[19:44] <Sirius> Thanks! It is that artist in me. That was what made some of those old kits so cool in the 70's. I want that same WOW factor that made me buy them. But anyone can clone, I want to make NEW kits that make people go wow! And, really they are not that hard to build.
[19:46] <Sirius> The detail is in the decals! TM If that is what you like, then there are more kits that you will enjoy coming up.
[19:46] <Sirius> And the detail decal sheets sell well too.
[19:47] <Sirius> Has everyone here had experience with at lease some of our product>
[19:47] <AKPilot> So, Dave, do you have a set plan for Sirius - as far as how many kits you'll release a year? Is it a matter of when your life allows it? Or simply, as you feel inspired?
[19:48] <AKPilot> To answer your question, I've seen your products up at Narcon a couple years ago and am holding out for your Saturn V.
[19:51] <Sirius> AK The inspiration is always there. There are enough kits in the backlog that I can go on for decades. Getting them to a sellable state takes a little bit of time, but that schedule is accelerating. When Sirius Started 10 years ago it was a part time business. The economy, increased sales and other factors have turned this into more of a full-time business...
[19:52] <Sirius> ...which means I can accelerate the schedule a bit...
[19:52] <AKPilot> That's great! Congrats!
[19:53] <Sirius> ...and a kit that would be coming out next year should be out by xmas, and instead of one on the schedule for next year, there will me many more.
[19:53] <Sirius> There is another line of the business...
[19:53] <Sirius> and that is helping other manufacturers grow.
[19:54] <Sirius> I love this hobby, and we subcontract withother manufacturers.
[19:56] <Sirius> You may not even know it, but there are some of our creations in several other lines of kits, although I cannot mention them. But they are a small, but important part of what I do.
[19:57] <Sirius> Those jobs also helped us to grow.
[19:59] <AKPilot> That's really a good thing! Well, we're coming up at the end of our hour . . . does anyone else want to take the time now to ask Dave of Sirius a question?
[19:59] <les> Are the new rockets going to be LPR, MPR, or HPR?
[19:59] <Sirius> I thought we were doing two hours? I am just fine going on for a while yet.
[20:00] <les> He just wants to give you a chance to work on those new kits ;-)
[20:00] <Sirius> Thanks les! Formulating answer...
[20:01] <AKPilot> If you're good for two hours, let's do it . . .
[20:02] *** verb0ss has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[20:03] <Sirius> Some of the most poular kits are the mid-power or d-e range of kits. One release will fall in that area. Another will fall in the standard LPR area. And witht he Interrogator G, I started a series called the Transition Series that is a line of models that can be flown on MPR motors, but good with all the accessories included to get you into HPR. There is another one of those planned ofr next year.
[20:03] <Sirius> No more sizes of Interrogators though!
[20:03] *** Northwoods has joined #TheRocketryForum
[20:04] <Sirius> I'm game AK!
[20:04] <les> Thanks for the info - I got my L1, but have not gone further (mostly due to $$$$)
[20:06] *** Northwoods has quit (Quit: Using The Rocketry Forum chat page.)
[20:07] *** Northwoods has joined #TheRocketryForum
[20:07] <Sirius> les, let me tell you something. I have flown up to level 2, but my philosopy on the hobby is not how high you can go, but can I see the entire flight and enjoy it. I still fly black powder as much as high power. But I have to see the whole flight. If it goes out of sight, that is not fun for me.
[20:07] <Sirius> Welcome Northwoods.
[20:10] <Northwoods> Hi.
[20:11] <les> I find I can fly a dozen LPR for the cost of an MPR. But I have to admit I do like to see the big stuff fly
[20:11] <Sirius> If I have not elaborated on anything enough, let me know. Otherwise anyother questions? I do want to thank TRF too for asking me here...
[20:11] <Sirius> les, I know how you feel!
[20:12] <AKPilot> Thanks Dave
[20:14] <Sirius> Momentary break here... BRB... ask away...
[20:14] *** RandyT0001 has joined #TheRocketryForum
[20:15] <Northwoods> Hi I'm new to this chat thing. Is this an appropriate place to talk about construction techniques for an upscale Orbital Transport?

[20:16] <RandyT0001> Sorry I'm late, did I miss the chat? Will there be a log posted?
[20:17] <Sirius> Ok, I am back.
[20:18] <Sirius> Hi Randy. I do believe there will be a transcript/log, right AK?
[20:18] <Sirius> Orbital Transport another one of my faves...
[20:18] <AKPilot> Yes a transcript of this chat will be put up on TRF. As for questions, for the new short while we're talking to Dave the owner of Sirius Rocketry and are asking him questions concerning his products and business.
[20:19] <Sirius> Randy, you have a question since you just joined in?
[20:20] *** RandyT0001 has quit (Quit: Using The Rocketry Forum chat page.)
[20:21] <Sirius> The orbital Transport though, was another one of those 70's kits that I had circled in the Estes catalog. Loved that model.
[20:21] <Sirius> Those were the models that inspred me...
[20:23] <Sirius> ...and my designs I hope give people the same feeling.
[20:23] <Sirius> But it is not just the kits, we are also a quite friendly and fast online shop! For those who may not know us, go to www.siriusrocketry.com
[20:24] <AKPilot> You do have a nice website. Does anyone else have any questions for Dave this evening?
[20:25] <Sirius> I do want to ask a question on Scale, because there are a few projects in the works. Sounding rockets or manned spacecraft?
[20:26] <les> Dave - where do you see the future of model rocketry? Will we grow and inspire the next generation?
[20:26] <les> For me, manned craft. Too many sounding rockets are 3FNC
[20:28] <AKPilot> I'd like to see more scale-manned craft of your quality as well.
[20:29] <Sirius> That is where it is important that we spend more time with the next generation and actually get down and build a model with them like our parents did. Video games are fun, but are often a babysitter, and the kids really want to do something with mom and dad. The future of the hobby is safe if we get our kids to get away from the XBox and see what happens in real life by building and flying a rocket...
[20:29] <Sirius> ...if we do that, then the future of the hobby is assured.
[20:31] <Northwoods> Thanks Dave.
[20:31] *** Northwoods has quit (Quit: Using The Rocketry Forum chat page.)
[20:32] <les> I tried to get my kids interested. Unfortunately, they did not have the patience. Too many steps where "sat aside to dry" - whether glus or paint. They are part of the instant info instant gratification generation
[20:32] <Sirius> Les, manned craft are may faves too. But some are being done to death, but not at a level I would like to do them.
[20:32] <Sirius> les, I do think that is one of the battles we face, is the instant gratification thing.
[20:33] <Sirius> Which is what I think I like single-use over reloadables myself! :)
[20:33] <les> Unfortunately, there are not a lot of manned craft to choose from
[20:33] <Sirius> (Used to spend four hours prepping hybrid and electronics for one flight...)
[20:34] <Sirius> Test craft can be fun too. There is a Saturn 1 Block two that has been on the drawing board for a few years, and some parts have been prototyped.
[20:35] <les> Same scale as your Saturn V?
[20:37] <Sirius> The block II would be in a larger scale, but that would not preclude me from doing it in the same scale as the SV once the 1B is done. But this one was already drawn out the same time I developed the SV. And it was on a much larger scale (I do not recall directly at the moment, but 1:46 or something like that.) Again, one I will not do unless I can do it right.
[20:38] <Sirius> The coolest thing that the manufacturers can do is to take that wide-eyed kid at a launch and hand him/her a kit or a catalog, and watch their face light up.
[20:40] <AKPilot> I'd add - it's the coolest thing any of us can do!
[20:42] <Sirius> The old "pay forward" saying is a good one, but I also like to think of it as "pay younger."
[20:42] <les> I know. I've helped a local 4H club. I think the best thing that happened was a young girl that I helped prep her rocket, and she was afraid to launch it. I held the arm key and convinced her to push the launch button. However, the second time to fly, she wnated to do everything herself - and launched it all by herself with a smile from ear to ear
[20:43] <Sirius> Les, that is what I am talking about!
[20:43] <Sirius> That is the future of the hobby. And you cannot do that with a PS3.
[20:45] <Sirius> There is a lot of focus on old rockets and reliving OUR childhood with clones and stuff, but we have to come up with ways to give the future generations reason to look back on this as their nostalgic years!
[20:46] <Sirius> Anyway, lest we get too deep on that topic, any wants/desires/wishes? What do you not see in rocketry that you would like to see?
[20:47] <les> A better way to store the rockets and a way to get kits without getting the wife upset :)
[20:49] <les> Again, a love/hate relationship. Some folks love 3FNC. I avoid them - too much the same. Need the unusual and exciting. You've got some great examples
[20:50] <Sirius> LOL! I hear you! At NARAM this year Caleb Boe (chutes by Boe) had a solution to that problem. All the credit card orders were charged to his dad's company with an entirely different name (heating/plumbimg or something like that). Like why didn't I think of that!
[20:51] <Sirius> Well, I do not have a whole lot of 3fnc in the plans, again, everyone is doing that. Do look forward to more of what you have come to expect.
[20:54] <Sirius> But that does seem to make our market smaller, so we do need th extra plugs and the word of mouth. We do have to not only sell a limited amount of our own product, but the other product that we also carry that represents what we love about the hobby in order to keep on coming out with the kits that you do like.
[20:54] <Sirius> #1. If you enjoy what we have to offer...SPREAD THE WORD!
[20:56] <Sirius> It has been really nice this evening to talk with you. I have a bit yet, and will hang around for a little while yet if there are any more comments or questions.
[20:57] <les> I want to thank you for taking the time to support this chat. Now get cracking on those new kits! ;-)
[20:57] <AKPilot> Dave, thanks for taking the time to come and talk to us about your company, products, and philosophy. It's been a pleasure to get to know you better and I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to be here. Troy
[20:58] <Sirius> Thank you all, I will get cracking, and everyone who came here, PM me for a little gift as well...
[20:59] <AKPilot> Have a good night gents! Thanks again Dave!
[20:59] <Sirius> Thanks AK and everyone, it has been apleasure, and I hope to do this again!

Latest posts

Back