24mm Outlander Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of building my Outlander, which will have a 24mm motor mount, instead of the stock 18mm. For those who have made this conversion, how much nose weight was needed? I plan to fly it on D12's, and E9's.

build it all up, load up the biggest motor you want to fly in it, then add nose weight until the CG is in the stock location.

good luck!

That Outlander is so doggone heavy, the last thing it needs is more weight anywhere! Everyone I've seen has been lucky to make it off the pad under power from a C6-x... I wouldn't think that you'd need to worry about adding any weight till you got into composite Fs (even then I bet it's unlikely!)

Just my $0.02.

Lance, that's kind of what I was thinking. It's short and stubby enough that the margin should be okay. I just can't believe Estes designed this thing with an 18mm mount. I love low and slow flyers, but 100-150 feet is too low.

My Outlander flew yesterday at the Manchester, TN launch, on an E9-4. No nose weight was added, and it boosted perfect, showing no signs of instability at all. Here's a couple of pics.
First, setting on the pad.

And second, at liftoff.

It flew to about 400 feet, recovered about 100 feet down range on a Recovery Technologies 20 inch chute with spill hole, and nailed the four legged landing perfect.

That was a very nice flight. That one may also want the E18 or F24 composite motor...hhmmm, maybe I should build mine, I have a 24mm mount that I'm not using from my Executioner.

I've just orderd my very first Outlander , im not sure wether to convert it to 24mm or keep it stock. Could someone tell me step by step what I would need to do to convert it to 24mm , and what I would need please?

Why not just build it stock and use the new Quest D20 motor in it?

D20 = 18 x 70 mm AP motor per reports from NARAM on r.m.r.

Originally posted by Karl
I've just orderd my very first Outlander , im not sure wether to convert it to 24mm or keep it stock. Could someone tell me step by step what I would need to do to convert it to 24mm , and what I would need please?

Originally posted by shreadvector
It would help if I used the correct letter, DUH.

D20

D

D20

not F.......

Oh look, I can edit messages when I find errors. How cool. I think I've got the original message fixed now. ......

cool , I didn't know quest have new motors out . And you say they are AP? Sweet! Now I realy need my exolocives licence!!

Why not just build it stock and use the new Quest D20 motor in it?

D20 = 18 x 70 mm AP motor per reports from NARAM on r.m.r.

I'm halfway done with mine... That means I converted it to a 24mm for nothing :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This info on the Quest D20 makes me want to clone an Astron Streak again.......

esmil.gif

The Quest motors sound nice. No offense to anyone, but considering the difficulties most of us have been having procuring our AP motor of choice, I am not counting on a steady or generous supply of the new motors any time soon. I realize the AT is doing a yeoman's job in recovering from a catastrophe, but the supply isn't exactly stable yet. Perhaps there is another supplier?

Back