24mm D9 Reload

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHamel

Reaction score
Does anyone fly this motor? If so what rocket do you fly with it? The Thrust Curve shows a very low initial thrust. My guess is the rocket would have to be a minimum diameter low drag light weight rocket.

Thanks

I use them in the Estes Eliminator, and 24 mm versions of the Red Max and Patriot. Most Estes D/E rockets should be good candidates as long as they meet the max launch weight spec on the reload package.

I've flown them in my Eliminator and when the wind is calm Oracle & Big Daddy. I like slow liftoffs....
Craig

The D9 works great with most rockets that work on D12 motors (with the exception of the heavier end, >6oz or so). I would save them for calmer days though. They are quite a bit more spectacular than Estes motors - louder and with a larger flame than the D12.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I look forward to trying them.

Keith

Please read https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3456

I suggested that NAR S&T conduct additional static fires of the D9 and we observed that the AT D9 appears to be susceptible to propellant aging (oxidation) that causes ignition delays resulting in delayed peak thrust development of up to 0.6 seconds longer that shown in the manufacturers thrust curve. The AT D9 is a c-slot motor so IMO you should lightly sand the c-slot (not mentioned in the instruction sheet) to roughen up the propellant surface and remove surface oxidation to insure prompt ignition.

Old Estes D12 motors do not exhibit this phenomenon.

Bob

Keith

Please read https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3456

I suggested that NAR S&T conduct additional static fires of the D9 and we observed that the AT D9 appears to be susceptible to propellant aging (oxidation) that causes ignition delays resulting in delayed peak thrust development of up to 0.6 seconds longer that shown in the manufacturers thrust curve. The AT D9 is a c-slot motor so IMO you should lightly sand the c-slot (not mentioned in the instruction sheet) to roughen up the propellant surface and remove surface oxidation to insure prompt ignition.

Old Estes D12 motors do not exhibit this phenomenon.

Bob

Thanks Bob...great info.

Yeah, thanks Bob! I like to use the D9 in my Thrustline Arapahoe-E; it has a nice long burn, but keeps the altitude low on the small field I sometimes fly from.

This is a light, low drag bird designed for an E9, so I thought a D9 would be fine, especially given the lighter weight. The first time I used a D9, it lifted off very slow and did loops, hitting the ground under power, though little damage due to the deep snow. I was mystified, since the Arapahoe-E should be plenty stable. I added a couple washers to the NC, and it has flown fine since then on this motor. All the loads are about the same age. I'll make sure to sand the grains in the future.

A guy at my club flew 3 of them in a cluster. That was pretty impresive for a rocket of that size.

Sam

Back