24mm CTI motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRIFFIN

Reaction score
I'm glad to see these motors are coming.....anyone got any good ideas on how to remove all these engine blocks and metal hooks on all my overweight estes "D" rockets (like my 15oz. Phoenix)

Not going to say what???
you're not going to make fun of my overweight rocket.....she's just big boned!!

Layne's been trying to get people to stop putting in thrust rings for a long time. People would just laugh at his unrealistic visions for future motors.

Now that long 24s besides the E9 are a reality, we just have to laugh at him for other reasons.

Well I have only been back into rockets (after a 20 year break) for less than a year. Had I known about reload motors at all, I would have put a 29 in the phoenix. Unfortunatly I had to buy it NIB on E-bay and payed way too much for it so my last thought was to do anything other than stock.....I thought I was rebel for putting a longer "E" size engine hook. However, now I only fly it on a 24/60 rms reload case...with a spacer.....good thing I put that long clip in....NOT!!!

Not going to say what???
you're not going to make fun of my overweight rocket.....she's just big boned!!

He's not going to say how he's been forewarning us about engine blocks.

He's been telling people not to put them in any rockets!

While SOME of us listened:neener: others did not:rolleyes:

Your motor choices aren't limited to just Estes black powder and CTI's as-yet unreleased Pro24s. There are 24mm diameter composite motors that are currently available which will fit your mount without modification.

Mark K.

Hold it right there!

Put down the dremmel and step away...slooowly!:D

Kidding aside.

I was able to see the proto- Pro-24 hardware at NARCON. One case (single grain?) is a direct fit to common BP 24mm length.
They seem to have thought it through.

So don't go shredding all your 24mm rockets!

There where also plenty of longer cases too for the high speed Junkies.

Can't wait to see what type of propellents will be available.

But would the external thrust ring mess with the motor clip?

Not unless you make it ridiculously thick. 4-6 times around the motor should be a plenty-thick ring without having it interfere with the operation of the motor hook.

she's just big boned!!

WHY is your Phoenix so heavy? Did you follow the kit instructions, or did you "fix" it up?

A properly-built Phoenix may be a bit on the sluggish side with plain 24mm BP motors, but at least it does work.

...Nevermind about removing the motor block on my overweight Phoenix :(

phoenix 001.jpg

phoenix 002.jpg

phoenix 003.jpg

Last edited:
What happened?

It performed a perfect lawn dart. It landed out of sight. When I arived at the site, I found fire!!

It looks like the ejection charge blew after it hit the ground. It's sad to see her go....but man this rocket was a PITA from busted fins to constant nose weight adjustments. I would like to build another one. Maybe a bit bigger with TTW fins and a 29 mount. 3" with a 29 or 4" with a 38 or 5" with a 54.....and so on and so on!!!

Back