$23.37 Big Daddy Kit on Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. As I'm just getting back into the hobby I'm not familiar with all of the vendors. I did just place a large order with Apogee.
You picked a great time to get back in to hobby rocketry (as long as you have a place to launch! That can be problematic.) There are so many great vendors online:

eRockets
Sirius
JonRocket
Balsa Machining
Flis Kits
Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP)
Rocketarium
Squirrel Works
Flight Sketch
Launch Lab
Discount Rocketry
Belleville Hobby
AC Supply

And that’s just the general and LPR vendors I can recall off the top of my head, there’s even more when you get into the HPR and electronics worlds.

Welcome back!

Thanks for the recommendation Scott_650, the Balsa Machining 3" School Rocket does look like a great kit but I really need another rocket like I need another hole in my head as I already have a dozen or more kits in the build pile, I just need to get busy and build all the kits I have already purchased!

I keep saying "No more rockets" then something of interest grabs me!!!

Thanks for the recommendation Scott_650, the Balsa Machining 3" School Rocket does look like a great kit but I really need another rocket like I need another hole in my head as I already have a dozen or more kits in the build pile, I just need to get busy and build all the kits I have already purchased!

Only a dozen? I’d need to update my spreadsheet but my count is way, way more…not bragging, I have a issues for sure…but as soon as the B.O.S.S. hits the discounters there’ll be one more on the pile…

I just happen to like the Estes nose cone on the BD better than the longer PNC-300K that BMS sells.
So far as I know, the Big Daddy cone is the smallest and lightest hollow cone for either Estes/BMS 3" OD tubing or LOC-style 3" ID tubing. That makes it a good fit to me for cardboard testbed rockets I want to fly on mid-power motors - especially Fs, which could struggle with the weight of 4" rockets - high enough where I might want to have a tracker in the nose.

Although I like the Big Daddy and will eventually build one in some form or another (possibly a clone), I have bought several just to pillage for the nose cone.
no_more_rockets.jpg

Amazon is back up to $29 for it now :mad: I wonder if I could persuade a worker at Hobby Town to reduce the price? probably not likely

Yeah, they have good prices and I started to order some stuff from them but the shipping was almost $30. I wound up adding a few things and placed a $100 order with AC Supply and got free shipping.
That's the major downside to not having any local shops. Other than Hobby Lobby I have nothing local (there is 1 hobby shop an hour from me, but they have little more compared to HL - mostly trains/planes). 3D printing has been super helpful for me, so at least for small stuff (like motor retainers) I can just make it myself. The reason Amazon is appealing is the free shipping. Its frustrating when it costs as much to ship a part as the part itself. I try to plan ahead, but sometimes you order a kit, only to realize you want one more thing and then have to pay shipping a second time. The incredible availability of vendors now a days is great, but I still miss physical shops. There was a great hobby shop in my hometown outside Chicago growing up and one outside of Cleveland when I was in college. Both had LPR, MPR and HPR stuff. Both are sadly long since gone too.

Yeah, they have good prices and I started to order some stuff from them but the shipping was almost $30. I wound up adding a few things and placed a $100 order with AC Supply and got free shipping.

It looks like it was the bulk of the BD box that made the shipping bad. I haven't seen anyone beat Chris on Quest motors (he's $10 less than Apogee on the E35, BTW), and the shipping is reasonable. Also, when I did a big order last year, I got a refund for shipping charges that ended up exceeding the actual cost. Will buy again!

after reading the Big Daddy lawn dart thread I crossed this one off my list

I think fixing the nose cone is no big deal. There's a Doorknob build thread where he shows the way. (It uses the same cone.) I've done that method on a Baby Bertha cone and it is straightforward and works great.

I think fixing the nose cone is no big deal. There's a Doorknob build thread where he shows the way. (It uses the same cone.) I've done that method on a Baby Bertha cone and it is straightforward and works great.
When these go on sale I always pick up a couple and kit bash them. Have never had a problem - I just cut off the oblique portion of the shoulder and epoxy a new bulkhead in (have been 3D printing them, last 2 I installed egg timer apogees for electronic deployment (was using as a test bed for a mid power hybrid motor). Its honestly a great rocket (especially if you pick up plywood fins/rings kit). I foam around the fins too, thing is damn near indestructible.

Back