220v Power Outlets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr_rocket04

Reaction score
I have a power supply which needs to operate on two separate 110v breakers, or on one 220v breaker. I don't want to have a cord running across the room, so I decided to use a 220v right near the supply. Now all I need to find is the correct outlet to match the cord type, since it is not installed yet (the 220v wiring is already there).

I have only found one 220v cable with the correct female end. Here is what the male end of it looks like, which is what they are calling a European 220v:

e7682a3d7b.jpg

Does anyone know where I can buy or order this specific 220v outlet from, or what its actual designation is?

Thanks

Looks like a NEMA 10-20 configuration, which is largely obsolete here in the US. A few places still stock them, but they are becoming harder to find:

https://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=4795

The NEMA 10-20 was originally intended for 240/120V non-grounded applications, with 2 hot legs and a neutral. Installing one with the neutral terminal used as a frame ground is technically a violation of the electrical code in the US. If your installation is subject to inspection, it may get rejected.

What I would suggest is to cut off the plug, and install a more modern connector type. The current standard for a 240V, 20A grounding, non-locking setup would be a NEMA 6-20. 6-20 plugs and receptacles are available at any "big box" home center or electrical supplier. If you want a twistlock (a good idea if you are powering a server or something critical), go with an L6-20.

Back