$21.99 Der Big Red Max Kit on Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine should be arriving tomorrow via ups. I also ordered motors which arrived today via usps. I guess it all depends on which way the planet is spinning.

I still think this is a gimmick to get us to buy more 29mm motors they've been stocking up. I also got a pack of the new E35 motors. Maybe I'll put one in the old DBOM with an adapter (if the rain and wind would finally stop).

Quest 24mm and AT 24/40 & 24/60 reload motors are cheaper than Estes E9 and up, now that AC Supply carries Quest. Free shipping with no HAZ makes all the difference.
Quest/Aerotech 24 and 29mm motors are also available in much punchier thrusts than Estes 24 and 29mm motors. I consider DBRM takeoff speeds pretty marginal on the E16 and F15 and wouldn't consider flying one on those motors.

When Estes started talking about the high-thrust 24mm E motor a couple of years ago, I really expected them to phase out 29mm altogether, so it's been a surprise to see more new 29mm kits in the pipeline, including the Great Goblin which may end up heavier than DBRM (longer but probably lighter chute and maybe no nose weight, so hard to tell). Now I'm wondering if that high-thrust E will ever appear.

50% off would be $27.50, easy enough to typo that into $12.75 if you fat finger a 1 up front...

This, being the simplest (fewest steps/things that all have to happen) explanation, seems most likely true, IMO.

It occurs to me to wonder whether $12.75 is their actual cost on the kits. It's about the right ratio for something going out at $54 MSRP through multi-level distribution.

I figure Estes probably didn't lose money on these kits. More likely close to a break-even, especially if someone got sucked in and bought other stuff, like a couple of regular DRMs at 50-off or some motors. And I realized this morning while scrambling my eggs that they now have a list of people who spend a part of their Saturday evening reading about rockets on the internet and are willing to stay up past midnight Penrose time to get a deal on them. Even if they lose a few bucks per order (noting again they probably didn't), that might be regarded as valuable information by a marketing type and was obtained incredibly inexpensively, even if it was done unintentionally.

Last edited:
With free UPS shipping to Hawaii for orders over $50 they must have taken a bath.
Even if the $12.75 covered their manufacturing costs the postage for that big box was WAY over $50.

Last edited:
Now that the DBRMs are in hand, what to kitbash these into?
Great Goblin clone?
Boosted Great Goblin?
Boosted DBRM?
Upscale FSI Echo 1?
0505231829[1].jpg

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

My current plans are inspired by @James Duffy.

Max Buster, a.k.a. Glaxorous Glen
Stearmax PT-17 blue and yellow, or maybe the Navy's color scheme
Flaxing Tiger P-40

Will have to do some work before deciding what to do with the fourth cone that's here. Might mix and match in the Doorknob and do the big Alpha conversion in commercial airliner livery (vintage colors will be researched, of course).

I'm finishing up on my Great Goblin clone using a 4 fin tube from Estes. I'm using the cardstock CR and realizing how flimsy they are. I shoulda been patient and ordered the plywood rings or epoxied the snot out of it.

I'm finishing up on my Great Goblin clone using a 4 fin tube from Estes. I'm using the cardstock CR and realizing how flimsy they are. I shoulda been patient and ordered the plywood rings or epoxied the snot out of it.
Ya know... you only need one CR to prevent the ejection charge from venting... you can always use multiple vanes that are large enough to be glued to the motor tube and to the inside of the body tube, to increase the motor mount's ability to stay in place.

Last edited:
Ya know... you only need one CR to prevent the ejection charge from venting... you can always use multiple vanes that are large enough to be glued to the motor tube and to the inside of the body tube, to increase the motor mount's ability to stay in place.
True, but the TTW fin tabs are also acting like gussets, strengthening the centering rings.
Maybe leave the aft centering ring off to do internal fillets, then gluing it back on?

True, but the TTW fin tabs are also acting like gussets, strengthening the centering rings.
Maybe leave the aft centering ring off to do internal fillets, then gluing it back on?
That’s what I do but this time with the cardstock CR. The fins are solid with the internal glue. Not too confident with using the G80 at Aloun. Should be fine with the glorious F67.

Back