$21.99 Der Big Red Max Kit on Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris has it for $30. Edit: I don't have direct knowledge of stock, but you can at least put it in the shopping cart.

Yeah, but.... the $13.54 of freight brings it to $43.01. Chris doesn't have an order size threshold that gets you free shipping. I'm OK just waiting for AC Supply to get it back in stock. Since it's still in the 2023 catalog, I expect that to happen.

Yeah, but.... the $13.54 of freight brings it to $43.01. Chris doesn't have an order size threshold that gets you free shipping. I'm OK just waiting for AC Supply to get it back in stock. Since it's still in the 2023 catalog, I expect that to happen.
I think we can have a group effort to watch for restocking. I think they are due in lat January.

Mike is currently working on a fin set for a 307% Alpha, and I believe that both of these will be available from Galactic Manufacturing in the near future.

James

Now available for preorder.

https://galacticmanufacturing.com/products/3-diameter-estes-alpha-upscale-parts-kit
You do need to buy a Doorknob kit to get the nose cone. I suppose a Big Daddy would also work, but the Doorknob includes more goodness for just a few bucks more.

There's a thread on here about the Citation Patriot conversion kit. The builder notes the fins from Galactic were not quite flat.

Nylon parachute. Motor mount is 29mm instead of 24mm and longer, too.
Aha, the nylon chute is a nice touch, thanks. I already have the 29mm retainers running out my ears, but the chute's probably reason to pick up a Doorknob instead of a Big Daddy the next time I need that cone.

Doorknob has a longer body tube and the 29mm retainer. Anything else set it apart?
Doorknob also gives you a head start on the upscaled Omega that will use the spare DBRM nose cone you now have on hand. You'll need a second Doorknob kit to make it two-staged, but you probably already have that in the stash.

James

Doorknob also gives you a head start on the upscaled Omega that will use the spare DBRM nose cone you now have on hand. You'll need a second Doorknob kit to make it two-staged, but you probably already have that in the stash.
My stash is sadly behind the curve, but I like the way you think!

To make 3in Omega get a BDRM kit for the NC and the rest from Balsa Machining.

or print your own NC if proficient enough(not me)

My $21.99 DBRM has already been kitbashed. I swapped the Nosecone with my 3" BMS "School Rocket", because the DBRM nosecone is about 2" taller, making my School Rocket just 1" shy of 5 feet tall now. So looking at the School Rocket nosecone on the DBRM body tube, I was suddenly struck that it looked Big-Daddy-ish -- so, I dug out the fins left over from another project and what I've got is now "MAX DADDY" which I will finish up with an interesting paint job once it gets more pleasant outside. My 29mm Big Daddy has been glommed together and it was such an easy build.

Attachments

• IMG_5399.JPG
    IMG_5399.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 1
The decision has been made to go for the phenolic look, so the cone was sprayed with Tamiya TS-33 Dull Red lacquer.

Using bits of tape to create alignment guides the cut vinyl from Stickershock was applied. I found it interesting that the vintage Estes directions do a pretty poor job of defining where all of the markings are supposed to go. Is there no single canonical markings guide for this model?

View attachment 539659

View attachment 539660

With the markings in place the motor retainer was installed, along with a pair of rail buttons. The nose cone is popped into place, and yet another Der Big Red Max-derived 3" OD model is complete!

View attachment 539661

Come join us at the Austin Area Rocketry Group launch this weekend and you can see it fly!

James
Hi James:
I really enjoyed your vNARCON talk about how you mask and finish these rockets, including the excellent bandit upscale shown here.
During your talk, I did not catch any tips for what I find to be the hardest part of masking fins.
Do you have any tips for how to place the overlapping tape when making fin stripes on the leading edge of the fins two sides (really any edge)? I'm never sure whether to try to wrap a bit around the fin leading edge to the other side, or to "pinch" the tape tightly on the leading edge and cut it short. I'm trying to avoid paint leakage on the edge where the tape meets, and the tape wants to "bend" when going from one side to another and it is a little tough to line up perfectly. I think I always wind up "ad hoching" it a bit with extra tape bits until it looks right.Do you have a method for this that works reliably? I couldn't tell exactly what you did in the video.
Thanks,
-a

My DBRM order from the last round of $22 sales showed as shipped and arriving today but was cancelled this morning due to availability. Easy come, easy go.

mine was supposed to be arriving today. but i just checked my order history and there's no trace of it. no email or message with an explanation. had to go to cancelled orders to figure out what happened. and even then they didn't say why.
that's kind of BS, the order should stay in your list so you can refer back to it instead of quietly moving to cancelled orders with no heads-up.

Back