$21.99 Der Big Red Max Kit on Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a prolonged gestation the 226% Bandit project is back on track.
More progress on the 226% Estes Bandit produced using the Estes DBRM as a foundation...

With the stripes forward of the fin can already painted, we can mask those off and spray the yellow areas (no pictures, sorry). After the Tamiya TS-47 Chrome Yellow lacquer cured overnight, more masking for the black areas was applied. We then hit the model with TS-14 Black lacquer.
bandit1.jpg

Now the masking materials can be removed, staring with the tape on the fins.
bandit2.jpg bandit5.jpg

We next move on to the airframe paint demarcation:
bandit3.jpg bandit4.jpg

And finally the mask materials protecting the striped area can be removed.
bandit6.jpg

Next up: the circumferential black stripes forward and aft of these segments need to be applied. I could paint them, or I could simply use some black mylar tape I keep around for situations such as this. Hmmm....

Also, the white nose cone bugs me. Yeah, it's faithful to the original Estes Bandit, but part of me feels that the model needs some additional scale-like contrast. There are a couple of options here. One is to spray the cone with silver, simulating an aluminum part. Many sounding rockets and missiles also used phenolic nose cones, so a red-brown color is a possibility. I'll mull this over for a bit...

More later,
James

Next up: the circumferential black stripes forward and aft of these segments need to be applied. I could paint them, or I could simply use some black mylar tape I keep around for situations such as this. Hmmm....
I've decided to go with the black mylar tape, as it is both quick and good-looking. First step is to place a pair of 6mm tape strips in place to act as guides.

image2.jpeg

Next, the black mylar is placed using the masking tape guides.
image1.jpeg
The tape guides can then be removed, leaving perfectly aligned mylar stripes behind. Easy peasy!

image0.jpeg

More later,
James

Last edited:
Also, the white nose cone bugs me. Yeah, it's faithful to the original Estes Bandit, but part of me feels that the model needs some additional scale-like contrast. There are a couple of options here. One is to spray the cone with silver, simulating an aluminum part. Many sounding rockets and missiles also used phenolic nose cones, so a red-brown color is a possibility. I'll mull this over for a bit...
The decision has been made to go for the phenolic look, so the cone was sprayed with Tamiya TS-33 Dull Red lacquer.

Using bits of tape to create alignment guides the cut vinyl from Stickershock was applied. I found it interesting that the vintage Estes directions do a pretty poor job of defining where all of the markings are supposed to go. Is there no single canonical markings guide for this model?

0B0FE80B-153E-4B4E-856C-9586E4CE353C.jpeg

350703B8-F500-49EB-BA6B-F331F525C656_1_201_a.jpeg

With the markings in place the motor retainer was installed, along with a pair of rail buttons. The nose cone is popped into place, and yet another Der Big Red Max-derived 3" OD model is complete!

2F015FDA-36FA-4069-9D4C-7BEC47CC939F.jpeg

Come join us at the Austin Area Rocketry Group launch this weekend and you can see it fly!

James

Last edited:
The 3d file above has versions for the estes tube and the slightly larger LOC tube, as well as having a built in electronics sled.

I just received mine (which surprises me since they routed it from Texas to Ohio and then Arizona). The body tube is stronger then I expected and I will cut some 1/8 plywood fins for it tomorrow. All the commercial upgrades appear to be unavailable (possibly due to difficulty in getting good thin plywood). The nosecone is not a very good fit for LOC tubing, the shoulder is too loose and outside diameter is too large. With plywood fins it should be good for up to baby H's. I plan on using polyurethane glue to beef up the stock centering rings and upgrade the recovery system also.

Last edited:
The 3d file above has versions for the estes tube and the slightly larger LOC tube, as well as having a built in electronics sled.
Nice I didn't know that. I should have looked closer, lol..

From site item description:

AVAILABILITY:1/8 inch plywood of sufficient size and quality is currently unavailable

AVAILABILITY:1/8 inch plywood of sufficient size and quality is currently unavailable
Interesting. Still allows being added to the cart, so perhaps the text is obsolete, or perhaps the ordering system is.

Gave one of these Rocketry Works upgrades (along with DBRM kit) recently to a local Lego maestro some of us hope to convert to a rocketeer. Still have a Vanderburn upgrade for my one remaining unbuilt DBRM.

My existing, mostly stock, DBRM (known as "Der Big Yellow and Blue Max") will likely soon gain two 24 or 29mm sidepods in order to serve as a cluster ignition testbed (my last such testbed having been lost in an unfortunate accident, soon after having been repaired from an unfortunate accident; I seem to be good at having such accidents).

I finally got a shipping update of my 2nd of two, ordered months ago. Will have 5 total soon, 1 will be turned into a Goblin.

I just received mine (which surprises me since they routed it from Texas to Ohio and then Arizona). The body tube is stronger then I expected and I will cut some 1/8 plywood fins for it tomorrow. All the commercial upgrades appear to be unavailable (possibly due to difficulty in getting good thin plywood). The nosecone is not a very good fit for LOC tubing, the shoulder is too loose and outside diameter is too large. With plywood fins it should be good for up to baby H's. I plan on using polyurethane glue to beef up the stock centering rings and upgrade the recovery system also.
IIRC LOC shoulders fit in Estes couplers.

Bummer. Bad Boy Rocketry (Jim Bassham) is showing the plywood fins and CR’s upgrade for the 3” big red max and 4” mega red max available.

I contacted James Cramton (Rocketry Works) and he now has a source of good quality 1/8" plywood and the upgrade is now available for purchase. He will update the website soon to reflect that. James is our local club's President so I have the advantage of being able to pick it up at his store or have it delivered to a launch. I have now ordered the upgrade.

Okay, so I have a nosecone, can buy the plywood fins/centering rings. I just need a pre-slotted body tube and I'll rebuild it better, faster, stronger!

NEW PRODUCTION AND PACKAGING...

Just got delivery from Amazon for last order if these. :bravo: (We won't say how many that makes now... 🙄 ) But I wanted to note these are in NEW packaging.

All if the ones from before were stamped date code 09/30/20 with date code (8-20) printed after the PN.

The NEW ones are stamped 03/31/22 with (2-22) printed.

Old on Right, NEW on Left.20221005_134525.jpg20221005_134536.jpg20221005_134546.jpg20221005_134559.jpg20221005_134741.jpg

I'll open it and see about and part or instruction changes when I get some time.

Back