2021 Rocketry Goals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulexis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This has been one of my favorite thread topics since joining TRF. I'm surprised nobody has started one yet, so I decided I would. Hopefully this will be a reminder to go back to last years thread and tell us how you did with those goals. In addition please add your 2021 goals here. I'm looking forward to see what everyone is planning for this year!

For this year

-Drag race my souped Star Orbiter on I205s with a club friend
-Build 13mm competition copter kit
--Fly my 4 competition models
-Help my wife finish building her G-force
-Build the estes Master series Mercury Atlas (1/35) (hopefully fly it too)
-Go to Airfest and help a project I was invited along with
-Build estes Sidekick

2020 goals were L1 and first dual deploy flight.
- got my L1 in July 2020
- completed just under 30 consecutive dual deploy flights on 3 different dual deploy rockets

2021 Goals
- Get my L2 (taking the written tomorrow). Will complete the flight in a couple months when my L2 capable fields open back up.

My main goal for the year is to finally get around to building some pretty optimized minimum diameter designs. If all goes to plan, I should be able to build several fun 29mm rockets around a common avbay and nosecone design.

I'd also like to do some high power two stage flights this year. I have a sustainer that's half built that should fit on top of my 3" tubefin that should be a decent test bed.

If both of those happen according to plan, I might try to get the staged I impulse altitude record this year.

Depending on how things work out financially, and I get enough flights with electronics, I might also start work on an L3 rocket. I have some ideas on how to build something that will be relatively affordable, capable of flying on a wide range of motors, and should stay under the waiver at my launch site.

I would love to just be able to go to any launch. As I am my wife's sole care partner and I feel it necessary to very near her 24/7 to prevent her injuring herself that is unlikely to happen. I am looking for respite opportunities but don't know if I can trust them to provide the care she needs..

Break the sugar altitude record and then reach space ( 62 miles-100 km ) using sugar propellant.
Then reach 25,000' with my LOX hybrid.

My goals for this year are a bit simpler then last year:

1) Don't become a rocket motor vendor
2) Don't become a rocket motor manufacturer
3) Thank my current motor vendors and manufacturers for putting up with me/us
4) Fly more rockets than I did in 2020
5) I really want to get Skunk'd to complete a 100% successful flight with both airstarts and a good recovery.
6) Fly an I470 in Fandango (LaserLoc 1.63), for Mach 1+

My goals in rocketry, for this year and beyond...

1) Build interesting new designs which can be tested and flown in my nearby 500' x 500' field. In other words, nothing of terribly high altitude.
2) Research interesting recovery solutions. Currently, that is horizontal spin with Magnus Effect.
3) Research and improve upon the ring fin concept and implementation.
4) Research alternative materials and products which can reduce build time, improve performance and durability. These include PETG and polystyrene plastics, and structural shapes such as angles and t-sections.

This has been one of my favorite thread topics since joining TRF. I'm surprised nobody has started one yet, so I decided I would. Hopefully this will be a reminder to go back to last years thread and tell us how you did with those goals. In addition please add your 2021 goals here. I'm looking forward to see what everyone is planning for this year!

Why don’t you start things by listing your own goals, in other words YOU FIRST.

Why don’t you start things by listing your own goals, in other words YOU FIRST.
Wow, really! Now there's some wonderful positive energy to wake up to on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to you Friendo.

To be honest I thought I had added my list. At the time I started this thread I hadn't finished it. Probably since the thread had started and ended with such negative energy I lost interest.

I can't find the post-it with my list, so here's what I remember.

1) Buy a smaller number of kits. FAIL - I'm sure I bought many time more than my number.

2) Fly a mile high. PASS

3) Break mach. FAIL

4) Fly electronic dual deploy. FAIL

5) Maybe get Level 2. PASS

There you have it. Thanks for asking. For next year my goal is to not participate in this thread, so nobody can jump down my throat if I haven't done something correctly. I started this thread because for several years there was a thread with the exact same title. Sorry there was another. You should probably chastise the other person for using the incorrect format. It's so fun hanging out with a bunch of over opinionated grumpy old men.

Merry Christmas to All!

Launch some of these rockets... :facepalm:
..........................................................................Down Arrow.jpg

Last edited:
- L2 (drougeless and JLCR)
- Build my Eggtimer units and do 1st DD flight
I got my L2 and built most of my Eggtimer units (I still have two on the fritz I haven't figured out but did get my Eggfinder Mini completed (and used it), a Quantum and 3 Quarks. I did not get my first DD flight in - ran out of time. Will get it done this winter/spring with my 65mm Miss Riley before the crops go in.

For next year my goal is to not participate in this thread, so nobody can jump down my throat if I haven't done something correctly........ It's so fun hanging out with a bunch of over opinionated grumpy old men.

Merry Christmas to All!

And therein lies the reason for the ignore function! Why limit yourself when it's so much more satisfying to ignore the GOM !! :angiefavorite:
Merry Christmas back at ya!

Last edited:
Wow, really! Now there's some wonderful positive energy to wake up to on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to you Friendo.

To be honest I thought I had added my list. At the time I started this thread I hadn't finished it. Probably since the thread had started and ended with such negative energy I lost interest.

I can't find the post-it with my list, so here's what I remember.

1) Buy a smaller number of kits. FAIL - I'm sure I bought many time more than my number.

2) Fly a mile high. PASS

3) Break mach. FAIL

4) Fly electronic dual deploy. FAIL

5) Maybe get Level 2. PASS

There you have it. Thanks for asking. For next year my goal is to not participate in this thread, so nobody can jump down my throat if I haven't done something correctly. I started this thread because for several years there was a thread with the exact same title. Sorry there was another. You should probably chastise the other person for using the incorrect format. It's so fun hanging out with a bunch of over opinionated grumpy old men.

Merry Christmas to All!

You are a very sensitive individual if you thought I was jumping down your throat; quite the opposite, it was a challenge to participate in an activity you encouraged. You are being quite defensive and perhaps should drink some eggnog and chill. No name-calling would be refreshing too.

Last edited:
You are a very sensitive individual if you thought I was jumping down your throat; quite the opposite, it was a challenge to participate in an activity you encouraged. You are being quite defensive and perhaps should drink some eggnog and chill. No name-calling would be refreshing too.

Ditto.

Back