2021 Estes catalog

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Got a small box of stuff from AC Supply today. Stuck in the box was a new 2021 Estes catalog. I haven't held an Estes catalog since the mid-70's. The thrill is still there. Looks like there will be some interesting new rockets coming out soon!

Last edited:
Just got my 2021 Estes Catalog, and I'm asking myself "What?! Why?!!!"

For decades the index of kits has been listed alphabetically (when they've had them (there have been years with no index)). I want to look for the Supernova, I look in the "S"s. This year they're organized by the kit number? That makes finding things harder, not easier.

Am I wrong for thinking that this is INSANELY wrong?

Am I wrong for thinking that this is INSANELY wrong?
I think you are only wrong in terms of the all-caps INSANELY.

Yeah, this is a dumb way of indexing the designs in the catalog. No, it has no impact on the world, and amounts to only a small annoyance to us even.

So I would say it is INSANELY wrong a bad choice.

To me it doesn't make any difference in which way they organize the catalog.
I don't think I ever used the index in any of the catalogs.
I turn the pages one by one and take in everything.
Every new catalog is just like the first one I ever received over 50 years ago.
In terms of speaking of thrill.
What I miss the most is all the balsa parts!

To me, this is another case of the designer not realizing how the end user would use it.. This is an 'experience' thing more than anything else..

They (Estes) probably use the part No/s more than the names. (Makes sense, from their point of view..) And that is likely how they decided to organize teh index.. But the end user goes by the name, not the part No.

estes and acsupply both stopped including catalogs with my cool stuff. matter of fact, last order didn't even have a 'packed by Summer' note. et tu, Summer? i often go to JimZ and ye olde rocket shoppe sites to peruse the old catalogs. the feeling of nostalgia is wonderful. great magic in this stuff, i feel. i have a 2021 catalog in every bathroom in my house.

estes and acsupply both stopped including catalogs with my cool stuff. matter of fact, last order didn't even have a 'packed by Summer' note. et tu, Summer? i often go to JimZ and ye olde rocket shoppe sites to peruse the old catalogs. the feeling of nostalgia is wonderful. great magic in this stuff, i feel. i have a 2021 catalog in every bathroom in my house.
When did that stop? I've ordered a few times from each in the last year or so and always gotten a catalog.

When did that stop? I've ordered a few times from each in the last year or so and always gotten a catalog.
don't know if it was an oversight but my last estes shipment was just product, box, and packing. i'm not complaining. i have at least a dozen of the 2021.

note to fellow catalog junkies... company called Micro-Mark has a beautiful catalog full of awesome stuff. not too much rocket stuff, but EVERYTHING else hobby wise; trains, tech, models, et al.

http://micromark.com

The odd choice for indexing isn't quite as perplexing as the lack of body tube diameters in the hard copy catalog several years ago.

The odd choice for indexing isn't quite as perplexing as the lack of body tube diameters in the hard copy catalog several years ago.
+1

In fact, the lack of text and specifications in the new catalog mostly removes the thrill for me. For some reason I really like seeing diameters and weights and other info for each rocket while browsing.

Although as a kid I wore out my catalogs just like everyone else, I've pretty much moved on from them at this point

In fact, the lack of text and specifications in the new catalog mostly removes the thrill for me.

Yeah, I've noticed this too, in other things.. pertinent info seems to be lacking in many industries these days. is is truly a lack of interest? that they can be found "online"? can they not process teh numbers? [How big is 1.63"? and how does that relate to 18mm?] or..

My biggest gripe here is the electronics industry. They will state all the electrical' stuff, yet they seem to forget someone has to put this "part" into a box, enclosure, panel, etc.. so, any dimensional info is usually left out, hard to find or just basic..

Back