2020 Rocketry Goals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine:
Build a 2X29mm Mini Magg that comes in under 1500G
Build my first all Fiberglass rocket (Madcow Twitch)
Fly a strengthened Estes Big Daddy on an F-39 reload :)

New job, new position in the club, less busy list this year.

-Fly my 18/20 and 24/40 cases
-Build my Pro Series Patriot (maybe get the new Estes cluster rocket so the 4x24 in a classic discontinued kit isn't my first cluster attempt)
-Build the Star Orbiter that's been tucked behind my couch

(bonus) find a summer HPR flying field

My goal is to finally get that Steampunk Protostar done. That project has been dragging on for 2 years now. Also, I need to get cracking on the ever-growing build pile. There have been more 'gozintas' than 'gozoutas' as of late.

1) Complete three scratchbuilds
2) Attend at least three launches
3) Attend at least one launch outside of New Jersey (probably either Metra or MDRA)

3) Attend at least one launch outside of New Jersey (probably either Metra or MDRA)

If you're interested in coming to MDRA for Red Glare (April 3-5), it is a great opportunity to see a lot of impressive projects launched. Last year it was very well attended, so there was a bit of a line for the low power pads on Saturday, but I still got a bunch of LPR in the air.

My 2020 rocketry goals:
1: Finish my Quest Astra andd fly it on the A8-3 and B4-4 motors that I have.
2: Get my Estes Crossfire ISX out of that tree and recycle it so as to not litter.
3: Get another rocket or two so I have more than one in my fleet.
Edit: And possibly find a lobster and rutabaga pizza, @mbeels

Goal #3 complete. I got a Mark IV Square (New Way Space Models)
Now goal #1 includes that one as well as the Astra. :D

Been away from it all for a few years and main goal this year is just to get back in a little. Toward that end:

1: Certs lapsed, so at least redo L1
2: Finish build and fly a large "stubby" joint project with my brother
3: Possibly build another fun/crazy scratch built idea.

These are my 2020 goals

1 - Fly my first N at LDRS 39 with the father-in-law (AT N2000)
2 - Transition rocket support laptop OS to Linux Mint, and consolidate files there
3 - No crashes
4 - No CATOs

Going to fly a 12-yr old CTI L1030 next weekend, so #4 gets put to task right away. The grains were sealed and they looked fine to me...

Goal #2 is finished when MAWD, SL, ARTS2, and BRB can be connected to the Mint laptop using their respective computer programs. Happy New Year!

-Jeb

These are my 2020 goals

1 - Fly my first N at LDRS 39 with the father-in-law (AT N2000)
2 - Transition rocket support laptop OS to Linux Mint, and consolidate files there
3 - No crashes
4 - No CATOs

Going to fly a 12-yr old CTI L1030 next weekend, so #4 gets put to task right away. The grains were sealed and they looked fine to me...

Goal #2 is finished when MAWD, SL, ARTS2, and BRB can be connected to the Mint laptop using their respective computer programs. Happy New Year!

-Jeb

For your BRB sub-goal: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/big-red-bee-software-under-linux.155886/

Anything else under LinuxMint, just drop me a DM and I'll gladly help you come up with a solution.

Barbecue plate sale, raffle, misc...... Sometimes you have to find other funding sources

Unfortunately what we're able to generate from fundraising can only take you so far in high performance high power rocketry.

Nothing particularly exciting or specific:

1) Don't buy any more rattle cans in 2020. Learn to finish by brush and/or airbrush.
2) Fully complete and fly all of my rockets this year at least once (Skunk'd, Plasma Dart II XL, Celestial Jet, 1 sigma, Tummy Trouble, King Kraken, Bare Metal)
3) Put a dent in the pile of motors I ordered in the Wildman sale.
4) Get to Red Glare 2020.

For 2020 there are several things on my wish list...

1. I would like to get my Level 1 certification

2. I would like to establish a rocket club in my community...there seems to be enough interest but no active club in my town.

3. Make it to a regional launch...been wanting to go for years but have never made it a priority...

4. Finish all the builds on my table top...almost all of them are waiting for paint...[emoji6]

5. Get better data on my launches [emoji573]

Not a personal goal, but I'm mentoring a TARC team and I'd really like to see them make Nats. Given the back-to-basics nature of this year's competition, it's gonna be tough.

Personally, I'd like to get my build pile down...

For Eggtimer Rocketry, I haven't decided what I'm going to do this year. I have a few ideas, though.

*Familiarize myself with reloadable motors
*Build my scratch-build level-1 rocket and get certified
*Get my home-brew chute release operational
*Get better at video editing and post a bunch more to my YouTube channel

1. Fly Stage-a-saurus, my as-yet-unflown 2-stage composite motors rocket (G-F to H-H impulse). This rocket is built, so I should be able to knock this goal out pretty quickly.
2. Build and fly Spruce Goose, an F/G/H rocket with a wooden airframe. This rocket is in concept design stage.
3. Help the TARC team I mentor get to nationals this year. The last two years, we were the first alternate.

Knocked out #1 yesterday with a flight on a boosted dart configuration (all that fits our field). I did have a spare ematch pretending to be an upper stage igniter so I was able to give the computers a full up test. The TARC team was flying as well, so progress made on #3 as well.

Knocked out #1 yesterday with a flight on a boosted dart configuration (all that fits our field). I did have a spare ematch pretending to be an upper stage igniter so I was able to give the computers a full up test. The TARC team was flying as well, so progress made on #3 as well.

Nice. So the ematch fired? Any photos, videos, or data of the flight?

Nice. So the ematch fired? Any photos, videos, or data of the flight?

One of the students took video, but I don't have that yet. Data and more will be posted on my build thread here. The ematch that simulated the sustainer igniter did fire, so that all looks good. I had a second small BP charge on that just like my separation charge, and I was hoping to see a puff of smoke, but no luck there.

My 2020 goals are much too similar to my 2018 and 2019 goals.
  1. Fly some rockets.
  2. Redo my L1 flight. It's not lapsed (I think, maybe I should check) but it's been ever since then that I haven't done a high power launch and my once wetted feet have dried out.
  3. Fly some rockets.
  4. Finish my current partially complete builds: Triple Vee scratch build, LOC Park Flyer Magnum, 2 stage conversion of a Quest Terrier-Orion, a 99% done Estes Solar Flare, and finishing work of the L1 rocket,
  5. Fly some rockets.
  6. Also finish the L2 LOC EZI-65 that's been 3/4 finished for years.
  7. Fly some rockets, including more H and I flights
  8. Gain L2 certification.
  9. Fly some rockets.
  10. Begin mentoring a local middle school or high school rocket club.
  11. And maybe fly some rockets.

1) Complete three scratchbuilds
2) Attend at least three launches
If you're interested in coming to MDRA for Red Glare (April 3-5), it is a great opportunity to see a lot of impressive projects launched. Last year it was very well attended, so there was a bit of a line for the low power pads on Saturday, but I still got a bunch of LPR in the air.
And NARAM is in Geneseo, NY this year. That may be a bit of a stretch distance-wise, but doable.

And NARAM is in Geneseo, NY this year. That may be a bit of a stretch distance-wise, but doable.

It looks like about 5 hours for me, and nearly half way to my parent's house, so if I plan carefully, I could possibly do a combo trip which makes the time in the car more manageable.

I hope you at least get to "fly some rockets".

1) Launch a rocket. Last launch was 1981-ish.

2) Get TRA membership since that is my closest high power club.

3) Join said club.

4) Build more rockets than I buy. So far so good, minus one to the build pile.

5) Level one certification.

Update on my goals.
1) Done. 70+ launches

2) Done. TRA 20087

3) Done. Awesome place! Tons of fun.

4) Extreme failure. Lost ground on the build pile by more than 100.

5) Level one accomplished.

1. Learn to solder
2. Solder an Eggfinder GPS kit together
3. Put said Eggfinder in my L2 cert rocket
4. Get L2
5. Build some of the level 4 and 5 Estes kits in my build pile (Cosmic Interceptor, Black Star Voyager, Odyssey, Conquest, Shuttle...)
6. Get started on the Sirius Saturn V sitting in my closet
7. Fly more reloads. I just picked up the AT Hobbyline cases
8. Fly more rockets than I did in 2019

1. Check.
2. Check.
3. Check.
4. Fail. Never got a chance to fly it with an L2 motor. Clouds were too low for the one chance I had this year.
5. Built the cosmic interceptor, conquest and shuttle and flew them all. I can’t find the black star voyager or odyssey and now I’m wondering if I imagined them.
6. Check minus. I’ve installed the motor mount and filled the tubes spirals. And it’s back to sitting in the corner.
7. Check minus. I flew a couple, but because of COVID, I didn’t get to fly much this year which leads me to:
8. Fail. ☹️

My 2020 goals are much too similar to my 2018 and 2019 goals.
  1. Fly some rockets.
  2. Redo my L1 flight. It's not lapsed (I think, maybe I should check) but it's been ever since then that I haven't done a high power launch and my once wetted feet have dried out.
  3. Fly some rockets.
  4. Finish my current partially complete builds: Triple Vee scratch build, LOC Park Flyer Magnum, 2 stage conversion of a Quest Terrier-Orion, a 99% done Estes Solar Flare, and finishing work of the L1 rocket,
  5. Fly some rockets.
  6. Also finish the L2 LOC EZI-65 that's been 3/4 finished for years.
  7. Fly some rockets, including more H and I flights
  8. Gain L2 certification.
  9. Fly some rockets.
  10. Begin mentoring a local middle school or high school rocket club.
  11. And maybe fly some rockets.
  1. Pass.
  2. Fail.
  3. Pass.
  4. Triple Vee: fail (mostly due to losing access to a laser cutter due to COVID); Park Flyer Magnum: pass, but not yet successfully flown; Terrier-Orion 2 stage: fail, due to discovering a fatal design flaw; Solar Flair: pass, but not yet successfully flown.
  5. Pass.
  6. Total fail. Still gathering dust in the corner.
  7. Fail, no high power launches.
  8. See 7.
  9. Fail; I haven't flown enough to get a pass five times.
  10. Fail on the school's part.
  11. See 9.
My 2021 goals are mostly retries of the failures above.

Last edited:
Back