2018 Hobby Lobby Summer Clearance

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by goose_in_co, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Aug 1, 2018 #61

RocketRohde

RocketRohde

RocketRohde

Was just at the local Hobby Lobby and they've done a shelf reset. Appears the space has been made smaller and nothing new will be added.

2. Aug 2, 2018 #62

JonathanOtt

JonathanOtt

JonathanOtt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aug 3, 2018 #63

FlyBy01

FlyBy01

FlyBy01

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Sounds like a good move, grounded = build time. Rocket math, you're welcome.

4. Aug 21, 2018 #64

scott johnson

scott johnson

scott johnson

Made a trip through HL a couple months ago.....returned home with a Big Bertha and a Baby Bertha. I'll have to snoop around and look for the "D" rack. Been bitten hard by the bug, after a 43 year layoff! Currently building a Star Orbiter, trying to figure out a delayed chute release. I found an old Parkzone "brick" from a defunct Hobbyzone Champ that will be my R/C chute release, don't want to lose the Star Orbiter on the first launch! I've also made me some fin jigs, will post pictures as soon as the epoxy sets up on my last fin.

5. Aug 21, 2018 #65

hcmbanjo

hcmbanjo

hcmbanjo

My local Hobby Lobby has done the same thing. Smaller area for rockets, less selection of kits and engines.

6. Aug 22, 2018 #66

walterb

walterb

walterb

I wonder if they worried about the Hobbico stuff. they usually have two or three of the new things each year. I wonder of they thought the supply chain might not be good so cut back on what could be empty pegs. They would have planned the thing back in march or so, so uncertainty might have been a factor.

harsas likes this.
  7. Aug 22, 2018 #67

shreadvector

shreadvector

shreadvector

8. Aug 24, 2018 #68

Alan15578

Alan15578

Alan15578

I stopped in at my local hobby shop, Hobby Corner. ALL of their rocketry stock was gone and the space was replaced with non rocketry merch. I asked the attendant what happened, and he said Hobbico and their supply chain ended. I did not find that explanation satisfactory or complete. Ii looks like I now have to travel farther to a semi local Hobby Lobby to find rocketry supplies. :(

9. Aug 24, 2018 #69

scott johnson

scott johnson

scott johnson

Hobby Lobby here in Columbia, SC still has some stuff. Not much, but they had E and F motors so I am a go for the maiden of my star orbiter on Sunday.

10. Aug 24, 2018 #70

Bob Austin

Bob Austin

Bob Austin

In Hobby Lobby today and it looks like its not just the rocketry stuff that is smaller. Nearly all of the Pinewood Derby stuff is gone. What they have is on clearance. Plastic model cars have lost at least one vertical rack of space as well, being replaced by matchbox type cars. Sad, just sad.

MarcoPolo likes this.
  11. Aug 24, 2018 #71

harsas

harsas

harsas

I would talk with the manager. Certainly a small hobby shop cannot afford to lose any customers. They can contact Estes easily enough to find out the new distributor to order through. Ask them to include rocketry items into their inventory because you really would hate to have to shop elsewhere...

12. Aug 25, 2018 #72

Bellgate

Bellgate

Bellgate

I sent a PM to Alan15578 to get contact info for this hobby shop. We are a veteran owned and operated Estes distributor that caters to small hobby shops, hobby vendors and schools.

harsas likes this.
  13. Aug 26, 2018 #73

SaintJohn

SaintJohn

SaintJohn

Unfortunately you will find that while they do still carry Estes rockets and supplies, their stock is far smaller than what it used to be. A bunch of us scored big on some seriously discounted rockets hoping that they were clearing space for new rocket items, but instead they simply reduced their overall inventory.

14. Aug 26, 2018 #74

Gerald

Gerald

Gerald

Hobby Lobby in my area was doing a crazy discount on everything for Rockets, and boy I hit everyone of the stores in a 100 miles radius. Got Estes wading for $2 a pack of 275 sheets, D & E engines for 70% off, Flight Packs of the A, B, C engines for $20. I got the V-2 for $10. so bought 3 of them. Many other rockets were also 70% off. After spending over $400.00 I am now set for many years with hundreds of engines and over 2 dozen rockets.

15. Aug 26, 2018 #75

Donaldsrockets

Donaldsrockets

Donaldsrockets

Maybe it's because rockets are not typically big selling items as not everyone has access to a space big enough to fly them. Especially the larger E and F powered rockets.

I haven't flown a single rocket in over 2 years now due to the fact that I have nowhere to fly.:(

16. Aug 26, 2018 #76

harsas

harsas

harsas

You can always fly with the group out in Labelle Don.

17. Aug 26, 2018 #77

Donaldsrockets

Donaldsrockets

Donaldsrockets

That is true but I wouldn't mind having a local field for LPR stuff. I lost my local spot about 3 years ago and haven't found anything since. Now that I recently scored a NIB North Coast Rocketry Eliminator at a good price, that might rekindle my interest.;)

And the La Belle experience hasn't been the same for me since you left.:(

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  18. Aug 26, 2018 #78

harsas

harsas

harsas

I get it. I have not flown anything since I moved for the same reason. But hey, you have an eliminator now so you have to fly. Don't forget to change the mount to 29mm so the single use will fit.

Thanks for the compliment but it really has nothing to do with me. The mood of the club changed when Bill took over. I mean no disrespect to Bill, he took the club and kept it going, but the focus changed to larger rockets. Of course, they probably will still not let you fly sparkies... ;)

19. Aug 27, 2018 #79

KarlS

KarlS

KarlS

At my H-L, the space is still the same but they have reduced the count to about 1/2 the number of kits. So there is the possibility of more kits coming later. They have also started carrying 4 different plastic Airfix (UK) aircraft kits.

20. Aug 27, 2018 #80

Bob Austin

Bob Austin

Bob Austin

Also noticed some Lindberg Line plastic models. Given Revell is now solely a German company, wonder how it will impact plastic model availability in the US as well as costs.

21. Aug 27, 2018 #81

Andrew_ASC

Andrew_ASC

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd

At HL in Chattanooga, they have plenty of kits and motors D-F. At full retail price. They even had the new two stage kits. And no launch sites to fly at lol. Had to go fly at ROSCO sport launch this summer under Tripoli insurance in Rembert, SC. I snagged a couple of E-12-4’s, D12-5, D-12-0, epoxies, and launch support equip. Funny that, the place without a launch site has rocket stuff.