2016?! REALLY?!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry you had such a bad year but if I'm not mistaken wasn't it your choice to live in China?

Just blink a little longer and you won't even notice it.

Sorry you had such a bad year but if I'm not mistaken wasn't it your choice to live in China?

Um... let see... There has been a nasty political camPAIN that has greatly diminished the opinions of the U.S. in the eyes of the rest of the world, terrorism, then there's all the great performers who have died, the scientists, the authors, and even friends. I don't think that has anything to do with my current location.

I had some absolutely GREAT experiences in 2016, but in general, this year was crap. I'm ready to see it gone!

Cant help but ask, why are you in china? I follow a lot of your posts and it doesnt sound all that great where you're at.

I wanted to get a job where I could travel, and wouldn't be replaced by a computer (like I was when I was a travel agent). I had an opportunity to go back to school, and the best way to meet my desire was to teach English. I decided on Taiwan/China for a number of reasons, such as need, number of potential job openings, domestic safety (Middle east? No thanks!), as well as need for knowledge in the US on the foreign culture after the fact.

Taiwan is my ultimate goal, China has been always intended as a temporary landing point (it's a larger place to get to). My first job was a complete bust, my new job is much better, though I've had to wait to get a full paycheck (first one was on Dec. 15th), now I'm trying to catch up with bills that I haven't been able to pay until now. With 2 years experience, the pool of possible employers will greatly expand. I'd loved to jump to TW already, but due to the lack of funds, I had no safety net, nor could I even afford to make the move.

K'Tesh, it is far better to accumulate experiences than stuff. Traveling is a great way to experience amazing stuff. I wish you well.

This^

I live in America permanently from now on, and even my year was bad until a few months ago.
Had I been overseas, I don't know what I what have done.
Get home K' and quit trying to be altruistic to folks that really have better things like day to day survival on their minds. At least now you have had the taste you wanted, so i'm glad you found it sour, and will chip in on your plane ticket for a fiver.
Come home already.
I'm in for a fiver, anyone with me?
It's time to bring him home.

This^

I live in America permanently from now on, and even my year was bad until a few months ago.
Had I been overseas, I don't know what I what have done.
Get home K' and quit trying to be altruistic to folks that really have better things like day to day survival on their minds. At least now you have had the taste you wanted, so i'm glad you found it sour, and will chip in on your plane ticket for a fiver.
Come home already.
I'm in for a fiver, anyone with me?
It's time to bring him home.

It'll take more than a fiver to bring me home... I'd need a job, and a place to live when I got there.

I got 5 on it!
You could save up enough there to come here and go to truck driving school.... Good job, home on the road, see our country side, just throwing that out there...

I wanted to get a job where I could travel, and wouldn't be replaced by a computer (like I was when I was a travel agent). I had an opportunity to go back to school, and the best way to meet my desire was to teach English. I decided on Taiwan/China for a number of reasons, such as need, number of potential job openings, domestic safety (Middle east? No thanks!), as well as need for knowledge in the US on the foreign culture after the fact.

Taiwan is my ultimate goal, China has been always intended as a temporary landing point (it's a larger place to get to). My first job was a complete bust, my new job is much better, though I've had to wait to get a full paycheck (first one was on Dec. 15th), now I'm trying to catch up with bills that I haven't been able to pay until now. With 2 years experience, the pool of possible employers will greatly expand. I'd loved to jump to TW already, but due to the lack of funds, I had no safety net, nor could I even afford to make the move.

So you're in communist China a year now and just got your first paycheck. Something is wrong with this dude! Get the Fire truck out of there!

So you're in communist China a year now and just got your first paycheck. Something is wrong with this dude! Get the Fire truck out of there!

REALLY? You get a full paycheck for working at a place less than a full month? What is it that you do, and how do I apply. Really though... I started mid October, and the pay doesn't get done until the 15th of the next month. I worked all of November, and got that paycheck in December.

Besides, I couldn't get back to the US if I wanted to... My savings was burned up in going to school (~$19K), and getting here (~$1.5K). I'd have no job, and no place to live. I'd be on the street if I went back right now. I couldn't live with my folks, because they live too far for me to get to and from a decent paying job, and my sister's house is full of her family.

I worked in Taipei, Taiwan from June to August of 1992. It was a wonderful experience. Although I was working as an engineer, at that time they really sought native Americans as English tutors and I think they were paying highly for them. I'm not going to repeat the hourly wage that I recall, because looking back it seems pretty high. I don't know what the situation is now with respect to employment. They teach English in their schools at an early age and many come to Canada or the USA to have babies so their babies can have dual citizenship in case China tries something.

Steve Shannon

Hang in there man. The wheel always turns and an up is inevitable. You have crazy skills with or and designing the Rocket details. Maybe a career as a graphic artist! I know guys that made a ton doing that during company proposals. Regardless, hope your 2017 is awesome.

Back