2010 ESTES Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta-IV

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to building my Estes Saturn V I bought a few years back. I decided to make it capable of a 5 motor cluster by making 1/8" lite ply centering rings, 3D printed fin fairings and a 3D printed LEM shroud.

My thought was to fly it on a single E18-4 for the first flight but unfortunately, my stock of two E18's had lost the sheet telling if it had a 4 second or 7 second delay charge. I wanted the 4 second only. So lesson learned here is, don't make last second substitutes. So I used an Estes E12-4 motor, boy was that a mistake.

After re-build it will go with a minimum of an F21 on a single motor or a cluster of black powder motors only.

I am posting this as a caution to anyone who has bought these kits, even building to stock, a D12 or E12 will be an under-powered flight.

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

Last edited:
That really sucks to see on such a beautiful kit. After my last D12-3 flight on mine, I decided no more of that. Will add a little nose weight and just fly it on E20s, at minimum, from now on.

The 24/60 AT F35 reload is good for the Saturn V. You just need rethink the engine block/motor retention for the longer 24 mm cases

Last second swaps are never good - Gene Kranz would NOT approve. ;)

Beautiful rocket tho, hope the rebuild goes well and you get it airborne again soon!

Back