2008 F250 superduty........

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Well my dad bought one, 6.4L 5spd auto, turbocharged, upgraded alternator, supercab 8ft bed, gooseneck, tow package, 4 wheel disk brakes, 50gal aux. tank in the bed! Oxford white in color lariat leather interior.

I really like this thing. Anyone have any performance upgrades they suggest. Its got 87k miles so were not worried about ruining any warrantys at this point (referring to the 100k mile 5 year powertrain). I want to get rid of the exhaust. go 5" all the way back from the headers. Im tired of the regen cycles due to the DPF filter. Its only getting 11.5mpg and dumping that and the cat. converter should push it to 13-14mpg.

My dad and I were looking at chip upgrades. at $650 avg. we want to get it right. I would like something that has some user interface so we could set turbo limiter and things like that. Gas milage is a key, power and torque are nice added benefits. I would like a turbo limiter over 65mph because once you get rolling you can keep it at 10psi or less because you don't need all that power at those speeds it just eats gas.

Air intake is another big upgrade. Looking at doing that but for $300 or so I would rather get exhaust first.

Some little things I want to do are use the upfitter switches to add airhorn, running board lights, and a police/strobe kit. Always wanted to flip that on to get slow cars out of the way, people listen when you have strobes :p

Just looking for comments/suggestions. I will try and get some shots of her. The only thing thats it will need come next spring is new tires. Looking at like 22s with 34" tires 9.5" or 10" wide. Something good on the road but with nice mud grip incase we go to another LDRS ;) :p

Ben

Ben ,
I don't mean to be the buzz kill but... The strobes may land you a big ticket if you're not a vol. ff. or police.
Just a FYI.

I used to drive a tractor trailer and on the back of the cab was an utility light(white) I changed it to a blue lense because it matched the paint. I got a $150 ticket in VA for that little upgrade. I was told that the blue lights are for police only.
Years ago lighted CB antennas were poplar. In NY, they became illegal because they were causing distractions and the red and blue ones were the colors for police and fire. People were getting tickets for them .

So, just check you area first.
BTW, strobes ARE cool though.

Last edited:
Ben ,
I don't mean to be the buzz kill but... The strobes may land you a big ticket if you're not a vol. ff. or police.
Just a FYI.

I used to drive a tractor trailer and on the back of the cab was an utility light(white) I changed it to a blue lense because it matched the paint. I got a $150 ticket in VA for that little upgrade. I was told that the blue lights are for police only.
Years ago lighted CB antennas were poplar. In NY, they became illegal because they were causing distractions and the red and blue ones were the colors for police and fire. People were getting tickets for them .

So, just check you area first.
BTW, strobes ARE cool though.

I have a way around that. Strobes in general are not illegal. if I use LED's that are clear but light up a color I can sort of get around it. white ones in the headlights and reverse and some red/blue in the grill :D

Scott Evil: I am already looking into those. Im thinking some 5" will do nicely. The only problem is the 50gal. aux. tank. I would need to move it forward. Im not worried about the heat its just the space that would be taken up. I might get a custom job box made thats like 8" deep to give me some storage for tow straps and such and then have the tank follow that. Sounds complicated but It should look pretty good.

Ben

Do you really want to test that? Law Enforcement takes a dim view of Impersonating a Police Officer these days whatever state you live in.

Getting all the other mods done would do as much to get you places as fast as flashing blue lights without having to explain it to a judge...well, except for a speeding ticket :p

Do you really want to test that? Law Enforcement takes a dim view of Impersonating a Police Officer these days whatever state you live in.

Getting all the other mods done would do as much to get you places as fast as flashing blue lights without having to explain it to a judge...well, except for a speeding ticket :p

Its not high on the list to get in. been looking at the Banks programmers. at $1200 though :y: Its top of the line though

Ben

A pair of CTI ProX 150's
under the bed...
:D

Yeeaaaaahhhhhh :D That'd get people out of the way:bangpan:

an airhorn and police lights? At least no modifications would be needed for the next local parade :neener:

For my first car. I'm gonna get a 68 baja bug with a rocket rack and a dixie duke general lee horn :neener:

He's already stated in a public forum that he wants to remove a catalytic converter.

That should answer your question....

-Kevin

He's already stated in a public forum that he wants to remove a catalytic converter.

That should answer your question....

-Kevin

Cat. converter and DPF filter got to go. At 11.5mpg, the diesel is costing more than any ticket ever could. should be looking at about 20mpg with Spartan tuner and new exhaust

Ben

...excuse me. No, it does not and I don't care for smart-*** answers.

I asked a civil, simple question and expect the same in return. I don't care if your a mod or whatever.

And the quote you put up has nothing to do with my question at all, I don't know where your even coming from.

You know something, screw it. Last post ever.

I asked a civil, simple question and expect the same in return. I don't care if your a mod or whatever.

And the quote you put up has nothing to do with my question at all, I don't know where your even coming from.

I think you took the answer in a wrong way. My take is removing the cat. con. is illegal so it doesn't matter that the lights are illegal as well.

wow there Dave, Kevin isn't using his high horse to answer your question. What would you have done if I posted that response?

just take a breather man.....

Ben

At 11.5mpg, the diesel is costing more than any ticket ever could.

facepalm.jpg

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

if you want a cool big truck for everyone to look at...mabey hang some of those cow testes on it... it suits the image.(even tho you can't afford the gas it would draw attention in the driveway)

if you want a cool big truck for everyone to look at...mabey hang some of those cow testes on it... it suits the image.(even tho you can't afford the gas)

lol, my dad already said I might be getting truck nuts for my Bday in April :roll:

Ben

Another hot ticket item in some states...
:confused2:

You're building a real world class
cop magnet...
:D

well, we have a state trooper that lives like 5 houses up. I might get to know him faster than I planned.

Ben

Sorry you took offense to it, Dave, but it was not a smart-aleck answer. You asked if Ben really wanted to risk getting a ticket by selecting light bars that could well generate them.

I pointed out that he's already stated publicly that he intends to remove a catalytic converter, which will get you a nice fine. Thus, fines and actions that generate them don't seem to be a concern of his, unfortunately.

-Kevin

Here in Arizona, the vehicle can not get through emissions testing and can not be registered if the emissions system has been modified.

Sorry you took offense to it, Dave, but it was not a smart-aleck answer. You asked if Ben really wanted to risk getting a ticket by selecting light bars that could well generate them.

I pointed out that he's already stated publicly that he intends to remove a catalytic converter, which will get you a nice fine. Thus, fines and actions that generate them don't seem to be a concern of his, unfortunately.

-Kevin

Kevin I don't like that you are insinuating that I am a lawbreaking teenager looking for trouble. I am sure you break laws everyday even if they are small, speeding? ever littered and not bothered to picked it up?

The cat converters put on and DPF filters and other EPA items actually cause more harm then they prevent. The filter traps the black soot created from burning a diesel engine. Well, in order to clean that filter (its a regen cycle) it adds more fuel in to heat up the filter/pipe to about 8-900 degrees and blows it all out. Well, its burning more fuel and just adding all that from the exhaust back into the air. Its not saving anything. The only time these engines produce black soot is if you put it to the floor. The turbo kicks in and give a little bit of soot. Other than that they burn extremely clean with the new cleaner low sulfur diesel and better combusting engines.

Ben

Kevin I don't like that you are insinuating that I am a lawbreaking teenager looking for trouble. I am sure you break laws everyday even if they are small, speeding? ever littered and not bothered to picked it up?

Do I do it intentionally? No. Do I do it inadvertently? More than likely.

That said, you've stated publicly that you plan to remove a catalytic converter.

Whether you like what that means, or not, it's what you stated.

-Kevin

Do I do it intentionally? No. Do I do it inadvertently? More than likely.

That said, you've stated publicly that you plan to remove a catalytic converter.

Whether you like what that means, or not, it's what you stated.

-Kevin

I accept that fact. It needs to go. And I would recommend it to anyone.

Ben

Ben, Congrats on the truck. I have a whole fleet of 6.4's. Can you find out the mechanical history of the truck? The reason I ask is that they have problems blowing out EGR cooling tubes in the intake. Not to big of a job but a bit of a pain. See if it has been done already. Also take a good look at the front end suspension. We had a whole rash of ball joints to do but keep in mind my guys beat the heck out of them hauling and plowing. All in all a darn good truck. I just bought 11 more 2009's.

....my brain hurts and I'm staying out of this from now on.

Did I tell you my newest rocket design has 31 nosecones and a boat-tail? ;)

Ben, Congrats on the truck. I have a whole fleet of 6.4's. Can you find out the mechanical history of the truck? The reason I ask is that they have problems blowing out EGR cooling tubes in the intake. Not to big of a job but a bit of a pain. See if it has been done already. Also take a good look at the front end suspension. We had a whole rash of ball joints to do but keep in mind my guys beat the heck out of them hauling and plowing. All in all a darn good truck. I just bought 11 more 2009's.

Ill have to take a look. This truck was VERY well serviced. A guy bought it to haul horse trailer (gooseneck) from Richmond to DC. It was all highway miles. 12k or so a month. All fluids, sensors, etc. serviced and replaced on time. Ill go take a look and see if thats been done on the intake. I know the engine light came on that Code I got was a P040D ( I beleive) the EGR sensor was bad or shorted to power. It only acts up when it gets warm and have been driving for a while. It goes on and off every couple days. Im going to go to the dealer and let them check it out and for $50 might as well replace it if needed.

Ben

Back