2004 Launch Fever launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
No way to make it up to fly with the big boys this weekend, so I called a friend and we did it ourselves. We launched ten birds on two fields and lost none of the rockets and sadly, one of the fields. (One of my favorite local fields is being developed into a high school sports complex.) I had a bunch of unflown stuff from the winter build that I wanted to see fly including my Semroc Astro-1.

.....and, the Semroc Micron, which led off the day's launching.

This would also be the day for the final flight of my always unstable Estes Wolverine clone. I made the mistake of building this with basswood fins, and no amount of nose weight has been able to straighten out the flight path. I'm going to start over with a new body and the old nose. (A BMS product and excellent I might add.)

This Estes Goblin clone was the pucker flight of the day. I flew it on a C11-5 because my friend's son thought it was cool looking.

And it rewarded me by getting caught in a tree five feet from the edge of the field. Rick climbed the tree and used a big stick that Sam found to get it unstuck, so everything worked out okay.

This Estes Scamp clone was the first rocket that I finished over the winter. I had to clean a layer of dust off of it to make it look presentable.

Unfortunately the Scamp's good looks wouldn't last as the ejection charge blew the streamer totally off and the rocket landed hard in the gravel parking lot. The black fin bore the brunt of the landing and now has a soft tip, but nothing a little CA and black paint can't cover. I guess if I wanted it to always look great I'd never fly one.

And the penultimate flight of the day, my Estes S.P.E.V. clone. I spent Saturday night getting the fins sanded and applied while watching Forrest Gump. Then Sunday at Field 1, I dropped a box on it and broke a fin in half. But then, that's what we have CA for, right? Next time I hope to have it painted, but this time the nekkid shell will have to do.

And FINALLY! I just stuck this in because I thought it was a cool shot. This is the SPEV as it floats toward the end of B6-4 Field where it recovered with 20 feet to spare. This was an awesome flight. Can't wait to get it painted, decaled and stuffed full of C6-5 up at VOA (or down in Kentucky with the BluesRockers, whichever opportunity presents itself first.)

Fishhead...great pics man!!! I didn't make it out at all; I had to drive to Charleston W Va Saturday and got stuck in the house Sunday. Kinda feel bad as it seems I haven't left the house for a month and have missed most of our build sessions, but all our other launches have been cancelled, so this weekend was the first missed. Kinda sucks, but I can actually make it to the next build.

Your shots and your field down there look great man!!! Iit sounds like you had some close calls and a couple mishaps, but it also appears you had a great time...good to hear bro!

Thanks for the report,

Carl

Back