• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

20# N2O Tanks - Make me an offer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
I've got 2 - 20# nitrous tanks available for pickup at LDRS. The tanks will require a certification test to be refilled. I really don't want to bring these back from the field so reasonable offers / trades / whatever will be considered.

1 is a NOS tank that appears to be this one. It was new in the box, I opened to take a picture and verify the size. - best offer

nos1.jpg

nos2.jpg

The other is a 20# Nitrous Works bottle that was in a box that was already opened. Filled weight written on the bottle matches the weight from the club scale. - Best offer

nW-1.jpg You can see LDRS raffle prizes in the background of this picture! Got to love those black and yellow boxes.

nw-2.jpg

Last edited:
What are the certification dates of the tanks? Do they need to be re-hydrotested?

Edward

What are the certification dates of the tanks? Do they need to be re-hydrotested?

Edward

Where would I find that on the tank? There is information stamped in the tank but hard to tell if one is a certification date. I think these were bought new back in the 90's.

If they are new in the 90's they definitely need certification being DOT 3AL tanks. The tanks are to be retested every 5 years. Just a data point on price - I bought a 35# aluminum tank two years ago with a dip tube and CGA 326 valve for $225 new.

Edward

If they are new in the 90's they definitely need certification being DOT 3AL tanks. The tanks are to be retested every 5 years. Just a data point on price - I bought a 35# aluminum tank two years ago with a dip tube and CGA 326 valve for $225 new.

Edward

Thanks for the info and it looks like these will need to be re-certified to get them filled. Thought the stated price was good since it was 50% less than what they are going for now but will adjust the price based on the market. Thanks Again Edward.

Odds are if the tanks do not have hydrotest dates stamped on them (usually near the valve collar) then they have not had a hydrotest done since they were new. The both look to be made by Luxfer (Luxfer makes cylinders for many house brands like NOS) and the manufacture date is part of the serial # iirc. Usually hydrotests are easy to spot because the stampings (if done that way, are not as neat as the roll stamps done at the factory).

Last edited:
Back