2 years work experience as Mech Engineer or MS in engineering?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they are (usually) always the first impression you give others..

(many replies you [Andrew] have received, should convince you of that by now..)
I have interviewed more than a half a thousand people for a fortune 100 company which consistently ranks as a top-rate employer.

Andrew, please believe me when I agree: the way one practices presenting one's self in writing reflects and affects one's ability to organize their thinking.

If a person won't cohesively order their thoughts in a written format, typically their spoken arguments convince no one because their point is lost.

These forums are a great place to practice discussing technical matters in a mostly friendly low-risk environment.

Best wishes.

Another thing about communication, it’s not a one way street. You seem to ask question for the sole purpose of creating an opportunity for you to express your opinions. You appear to disregard the advice given. Understand this advice is not given freely. People take the time to form their thoughts in attempts to help you. Your rambling rebuttals only show people your disinterest. I’m surprised they still attempt to help.

Take the two years experience. If you're worth your salt, you can leverage that xp to get into opportunites closer to where you want to be.

Be mindful that the space/defense industry is ever in flux. For example, Orbital ATK is in the process of being acquired by a leading company in the industry with different hiring processes and values that will likely affect the entry process.

On the side, do be careful what you say about any company in particular. This may be 'just a forum', but it's a forum of rocket enthusiasts, and I guarantee you there's a larger concentration than normal of past and current employees in the field you say you want to enter. If I were a recruiter for Orbital or their purchaser, I wouldn't be impressed by your track record here.

From prior evidence Andrew, I think we're close to the same age. You have time to try a couple career paths, and make a couple mistakes. The discrimator will be if you can learn from them and adapt to come out better off than you went in. I've been in the industry for two years now, and I can tell you one thing: Attitude is key to a successful career and advancement. If people can't stand working with you, you're not going to make it far.

Another thing about communication, it’s not a one way street. You seem to ask question for the sole purpose of creating an opportunity for you to express your opinions. You appear to disregard the advice given. Understand this advice is not given freely. People take the time to form their thoughts in attempts to help you. Your rambling rebuttals only show people your disinterest. I’m surprised they still attempt to help.

I have more to say, but I think I am done trying to help this guy. He comes here and asks for life and career advice and then says he doesn't take it seriously. OK, neither will I.

I just wanted to thank all for their advice given. You all have helped me see problems with myself. I'm currently studying for finals.

Back