2 stage wizard?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
ok, im trying to devise a 2 stage wizard...has anyone attempted to make one of these before? any input would be appreciated. i figured that i would take a spare body tube and friction fit the booster stage to the upper stage with some tape, then when it ignites the booster stage will drop as planned and poof. the other question is, how stable is the rocket with TWO motors sticking out the back. heh.

Three Suggestions:

1. Add Nose Weight
  2. Add Nose Weight
  3. Add Nose Weight
    [/list=1]

Use Rocksim or VDP to tell you how much.

Don't plan on finding the sustainer on B or C motors.

how stable is the rocket with TWO motors sticking out the back
    You will put fins on the booster right? And you will make sure the booster tumbles when it drop so it doesn't lawn dart into some kid right? Check out a copy of the handbook of model rocketry available from www.nar.org. to tell you how.

Moin !

äh.. Hi !

I built my first Estes Wizard 5 years ago, if I remember correctly.. it can reach very high altitudes even on B- Motors.
Believe me... I lost 3 of them ;-)) :D
That´s why I built a 4X Wizard.. flew very straight on an G80T, though it´s 1,30m long and 75mm (3") in Diameter.

A Wizard on an D24 oder so (i would appreciate a SU motor ;-)) would be very cool, but recorering is the other thing..

pic: 4X Wizard on an G80T at ALRS4 (Switzerland)

i've shot a star dart(similar to a wizard) on a D21 SU...didnt find it. not surprisingly. i wanted to see how a wizard would fare on a 2 stage setup though. and yes, i know how to build a booster with fins. i dont really plan on finding it. if i do, then superb, but if i dont, i'll still consider it a sucess as long as it flies.

Booster motors add a lot of weight to the aft end. i make a kit called the Super-Samuri which flies extremely high. It is BT-20 with 9 inches for the upper stage and 2.75 inches for the booster stage. Upper stage uses a nice birchwood nose cone which has about 2.5 times the density of normal balsa, so no extra nose weight is needed. The upper stage uses medium sized triangular fins (similar looking to the Estes Ninja) and the booster uses large clipped delta fins. Extremely stable and the booster safely tumbles down.

Photo attached shows this model near the middle.

See the Estes technical report on multi-staging to learn how to install the motors and tape them together.

https://www.esteseducator.com/Pdf_files/1976clas.pdf

Originally posted by r1dermon
ok, im trying to devise a 2 stage wizard...has anyone attempted to make one of these before? any input would be appreciated. i figured that i would take a spare body tube and friction fit the booster stage to the upper stage with some tape, then when it ignites the booster stage will drop as planned and poof. the other question is, how stable is the rocket with TWO motors sticking out the back. heh.

Back