Quantcast

2 Stage Rigel 3 With Engine Clips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Dseter

Reaction score
Many, many years ago when the Rigel 3 came out, I was thrilled that Estes found another reason to make the old Odyssey plastic nose cone. I remember, however, being shocked and amazed that they had gone to employing engine clips on both the upper and lower stages!! Mind boggling. What I can't remember, is if I scrapped the clip, at least on the lower stage because of concern with the lower stage engine not firing up high enough to light the next stage. Anyway, I'm building another one I managed to get my grubby paws on and am wondering what you folks think about having clips on both stages. I know eliminating one or both won't really allow me to put the engines any closer together but it's still a little scary. With the clips in place, the lower stage engine will be 1 1/2' inches from the upper engine. Will it be too far to light the upper or am I freaking out for no reason? Thank you!!:shock:

Buckaroo

Reaction score
I think you are freaking out for the wrong reason. I have flown "gap staged" models with as much as a 3 inch gap, and I know there are examples of models that have flown with significantly longer gaps with a "stuffer tube" to keep the staging charge pointed at the right spot.

I built a 2 stage rocket out of 2 Semroc Squire kits for an EMRR contest that uses engine hooks in both stages and a 3" gap. It's not min diameter, but less than 24mm. If I remember the Rigel 3 is BT-55?

I don't know what maximum gap is that you can get away with, but the Rigel 3 should be no problem.

Hope this helps, post some build pics! :D

FreeBird 041 cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Dseter

Reaction score
Awesome and yeah, I was thinking after mocking the engine mounts in, that it does look ok after all. I think I probably built it that way originally years ago and I know I launched it a few times with no problems. Thanks for the reply, though, now I can get to gluing!