2 stage question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoAP

Reaction score
I've tried a few searches but can't find an answer.

Regarding a 2 stage high power rocket where the booster is below the second stage....

what causes the seperation of the stages? I realize it's probably not explosive shear pins hahaha. How are the stages held together prior to seperation? I am becoming fascinated by multiple stages that are stacked.

Thanks for any answers.

Staging is not my thing, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since you actually want the booster to detach at burnout, you don't need shear pins or anything else. Just stick the tubes together. They should separate naturally due to gravity and drag.

Either drag separation OR separation charge from the interstage coupler.
Interstage Coupler (IS) replaces the NC on the booster and has altimeter to fire separation charge and Chute for booster.

This is where I would like to go too!

In the HIGH POWER forum, look for 2-stager or "my first 2-stage" and Gus has a nice 2-stage "Scooter & Red Dog"

PS, I have exactly one 2-stage under my belt that ended with a engine CATO so I don't know jack...yet

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Either drag separation OR separation charge from the interstage coupler.
Interstage Coupler (IS) replaces the NC on the booster and has altimeter to fire separation charge and Chute for booster.

This is where I would like to go too!

In the HIGH POWER forum, look for 2-stager or "my first 2-stage" and Gus has a nice 2-stage "Scooter & Red Dog"

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

hey I just watched the vid of scooter and red dog on your youtube channel.

Read anything by JimJarvis or Kip_D(not sure about the last name spelling)

They've got good discussions on the situations for drag separation vs forced separation (via charges).

I used to use a mercury switch and electric match to fire the upper stage. Mount it so contacts are UP.

1 second after booster burnout, the mercury "floats" up and closes the switch. Worked every time.

Make sure you arm ON PAD. Otherwise, tilting the rocket will set it off.

If using a tiny battery, put a 470uF cap across it.

I used to use a mercury switch and electric match to fire the upper stage. Mount it so contacts are UP.

1 second after booster burnout, the mercury "floats" up and closes the switch. Worked every time.

Make sure you arm ON PAD. Otherwise, tilting the rocket will set it off.

If using a tiny battery, put a 470uF cap across it.

Mercury switches and roller switches are now prohibited in the Tripoli Safe Launch Practices document, for the reason described above. You need appropriate safety inhibits to prevent unwanted, untimely ignition.

Thank you everybody, I have found some good threads and it's all begining to make more sense.

hey I just watched the vid of scooter and red dog on your youtube channel.

Hi DinoAP!

I was in that video, (for about 2 seconds) and the "Green Eggs & Scram" video too. High Power staging, that's an advanced topic... and SUPER AWESOME :shock: to see in person. Videos don't really do it justice.

I see you are located in Indy. You really should come to MWP, and talk to my friend Gus!!!

https://www.midwestpower.org/

Oh yeah, if you come to MWP, don't forget to bring sunglasses. :facepalm:

IMGP4274 (2).jpg

Hi DinoAP!

I was in that video, (for about 2 seconds) and the "Green Eggs & Scram" video too. High Power staging, that's an advanced topic... and SUPER AWESOME :shock: to see in person. Videos don't really do it justice.

I see you are located in Indy. You really should come to MWP, and talk to my friend Gus!!!

https://www.midwestpower.org/

Oh yeah, if you come to MWP, don't forget to bring sunglasses. :facepalm:

I saw you and Gus in the videos. I'll be at MWP already registered and have my banquet ticket.

I saw you and Gus in the videos. I'll be at MWP already registered and have my banquet ticket.

Sabrina- Dino and, I met at our Tripoli Indiana launch last month! ;) I even signed off his Cert. paperwork too. Real great guy!

Back