2 shock cords and a chute protector

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingMonkey

Reaction score
North Coast Rocketry supplied a kevlar line and a shorter elastic one to work together. Would you put both lines through the Protector or just one?

Also, I've seen recommendations to pack the protector into the bottom and then add chute or roll them up like a burrito.
What do you prefer?

For the shock cord, I'd fold a strip of ductape over the first couple feet of elastic and leave the Kevlar as is.

I put the folded chute and z-taped shock cord inside the flat protector and burrito wrap it. Key is to secure the protector on the shock cord Away from where your parachute is tied off. This should ensure that the separation of the rocket pulls the chute out of the protector.

20200223_113103.jpgso I ended up putting both lines through the protector. Pushed the protector to top of the tube and wrapped my chute and lines inside the protector.

It ejected fine but my chute wouldn't open (apparently that's a known issue with x form type chutes). I did forget to put a swivel on the chute but those lines werent tangled. Apogee was 700ft so I could clearly see that the chute was free to open the whole way down but simply refused.

Interesting note, and my concern, was that the 2 shock cords got tangled.

The pic is a little misleading as my son carried the rocket back. When it landed the chute cord was not wrapped on anything.

Back