2 Part Foam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
The most common foam I see used is the NHP or PML 2oz foam. This stuff expands like crazy however I can't see how it adds much in a fin can as it is so fragile. Do any of you vary your foam weight by use. The stuff goes all the way up to 16oz foam which is like a brick....

Again my reference is US Composites

I've only used 8 oz. and only to fill nosecones and the fins on my Terrier. I still have reservations about using foam in a fin can. It is very dense.

steve

I've used the US Composites stuff in a fin can. Does it add to the structural integrity? No clue. Doesn't hurt anything, though. Use sparingly. It does expand like crazy and it's messy as all get out if it spills on everything. I've also used it to seal nose weight in nose cones.

As with any adhesive (face it, that's what it's for & how it's typically used), 2-part foam should be used in moderation. I have used it in place of internal fin fillets for rockets like my PML Phobos where there is very little room to get in there to do typical epoxy fillets. Much easier & faster to pour a small amount of foam for those kinds of applications.

And like Kermie said, it also does an amazing job holding noseweight in place--especially in the funky plastic of Crayon nose cones!

Back