2 Parachutes for a BT-80 Titan - Help needed please

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to know if there is a trick to having 2 parachutes on a BT-80 size rocket? I have not built a Saturn V so I don't know how you are supposed to install 2 chutes on a rocket. Would anyone be able to help? I could imagine if I just tie 2 chutes on that they could become terribly tangled. Any help will be appreciated. I was going to put 2x18" parachutes on the rocket below.

Attachments

• 20171221_110230.jpg
    20171221_110230.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 18
I wanted to know if there is a trick to having 2 parachutes on a BT-80 size rocket? I have not built a Saturn V so I don't know how you are supposed to install 2 chutes on a rocket. Would anyone be able to help? I could imagine if I just tie 2 chutes on that they could become terribly tangled. Any help will be appreciated. I was going to put 2x18" parachutes on the rocket below.

The Estes Saturn V kit uses two chutes for the body simply attached via shock cord, teabag style, to opposite sides of the tube. Third chute used for the LEM.

Thanks Jim. Since the Titan is going to be one piece, I'll need to tie both parachutes to the shock cord. I have swivels on both chutes and have tied a loop in the shock cord to attach them. I hope this works. I've spent a good amount of time on this one and would hate it to come down too hard.

Thanks Jim. Since the Titan is going to be one piece, I'll need to tie both parachutes to the shock cord. I have swivels on both chutes and have tied a loop in the shock cord to attach them. I hope this works. I've spent a good amount of time on this one and would hate it to come down too hard.

Is there any reason you need to use two chutes? I would think a single 30" or so chute would be easier.

As far as I know most two parachute kits have separating sections- the Saturn V being an exception with two chutes in the booster.

FAIW, if you use two chutes, I would add separate risers (extra lengths of cord) between the common shock tether attachment point and where each chute's shroud lines come together. I saw this recommendation in an old article by a professional parachute person. I personally have always thought it was easier and more reliable, as noted above, just to use one upsized chute. IIRC the multiple chutes in the real world are mainly to add stability on the way down.

Back