2 Opposite Events, What the drive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
President Kennedy's Speech where he says, "We choose to do this and the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard" made me think of 2 events in the past.
One, obviously, is quite well known. The trip to the moon and back (several times) which one turned into a think tank rescue mission that turned out to be one of NASA's Finest moments in history.

The other one, not so widely known about to the general public, but more so towards those in the that particular field, or branch of Service. However, one of the 2 men involved with that single, and only, mission had his last name popularized in a widely known TV Series as a future generation of this individual. (If anyone knows if that ship is on display somewhere, please let me know by PM.)
Some will know undoubtedly who this person's last name is (please keep it to yourself).

So, I was wondering IF we were to follow President Kennedy's Speech and choose to do the hard things...
Then why are we leaving the 2nd event off the list of things as a Nation? To me, the 2nd event is just has important and hard, if not more so, to do than going to the moon and back. And the exploration of our own planet is not as important as discovering other planets? Is it harder to make telescopes to look into space, or put them in space to see farther out than it is to make one that can see to the bottom of our Oceans?

The 2nd Event I speak of is the single trip to the bottom of the Mariana's Trench.
What is harder to think about? Instantly freezing or your body exploding in Space? Or instantly being crushed by thousand of tons of water? Or is the possibility of slower prolonged event by suffocation or drowning?
Personally, I think it is harder to make reliable ships to withstand the pressure of deep water, than it is to confine the lower pressure of the atmosphere we need to survive. To launch we simply use Gravity, unlike Space Flight where we have to escape it. (Reversed on the trip back, of coarse.)
And I also think it is more important to find out what is in the depth of our Oceans, than what can be learned from going to Mars.

Some Scientists have speculated that the deep scar on Mars was formed by a giant electrical arc. They have found area's on Mars with traces of large nuclear explosion signatures. Would this have something to do with a missing planet and the Asteroid Belt? Do we really need to know?
We are almost 100% sure Science has ALL LIFE coming out of water. To me, wouldn't it make more sense to find out what's in our Oceans? We know private missions has found life in the Oceans where they previously thought life could not exist. There must be more?

Or, do certain groups in power know something about the past, maybe what is going on today, that is pushing their drive to Space?
Perhaps something that Must Be Kept from the general public about this planet?
Leaving out all speculation of UFO'S, Impossible Structures built by humans with no technologies, and all other stuff...
Please, post your thoughts on why we are so dead set on Space Travel than Exploring the depths of our Oceans. And I mean as a Nation, not the private sector. Like NASA, there should be something for the exploration of our Oceans.

I'll be watching this one to see what others feel and comment.
My personal thoughts are with space, you can see what is in front of you.
In water, light is pretty much gone around 200 meters IRC.
Bottom of the ocean visual work is difficult because they only have the light of the sub.

Back