3D Printing 2.85mm Filament

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, after Chuck's excellent review on the Polymaker True Orange, I went online to Amazon and bought a kilo of True Blue. Only one problem...

It's 2.85mm diameter. My machine is set up for 1.75mm filament. What can I do with this filament? Anything? Or, is my best bet to put it on the Yard Sale forum for someone to buy who can use the thicker filament? It's unopened, BTW.

Most machines use 1.75mm, and onlyfew machines like the Luzbot take 2.85. It won't work on your machine so maybe you should sell it

Most machines use 1.75mm, and onlyfew machines like the Luzbot take 2.85. It won't work on your machine so maybe you should sell it
Yup, there are very few printers that can take 2.85mm. My Taz 6 does, but I'm really picky about brands (cat). My other two printers take 1.75mm.

My ender is set up to print both with some high grade tweaking. I would not recommend this fro most.

Yup, there are very few printers that can take 2.85mm. My Taz 6 does, but I'm really picky about brands (cat). My other two printers take 1.75mm.
My prusa is like a dog, not picky and eats any filament, even the cheap ones. It then poops out plastic into a 3D object like a boss

My prusa is like a dog, not picky and eats any filament, even the cheap ones. It then poops out plastic into a 3D object like a boss
Plus fleas, loose stools and the occasional cat turd. Prusa makes a good printer, but I'd like to see it print Nylon and TPU without some serious work. :)

It loves nylon. (54mm retainer)

Attachments

• 20171108_200106.jpg
    20171108_200106.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 10
Plus fleas, loose stools and the occasional cat turd. Prusa makes a good printer, but I'd like to see it print Nylon and TPU without some serious work. :)
IDK what you did to yours but in the engineering lab I was in we had two Prusa's that would print anything we wanted including nylon and Ninjaflex TPU (the 85A stuff). We also had just gotten some polycarbonate to print with too and they also printed with carbon fiber infused and wood fill just fine.

IDK what you did to yours but in the engineering lab I was in we had two Prusa's that would print anything we wanted including nylon and Ninjaflex TPU (the 85A stuff). We also had just gotten some polycarbonate to print with too and they also printed with carbon fiber infused and wood fill just fine.
did the thermal head reliably heat to ~270C? Our Prusa in the lab does not. If you upgrade the head to something like a volcano or somesuch… then yes I'd assume it (and any other would then print nylon). I love Ninjaflex, Armadillo and Cheetah. Just no dogs.

did the thermal head reliably heat to ~270C? Our Prusa in the lab does not. If you upgrade the head to something like a volcano or somesuch… then yes I'd assume it (and any other would then print nylon). I love Ninjaflex, Armadillo and Cheetah. Just no dogs.
It heats up to 285C without problem. They are completely stock except for hardened nozzle when needed and a sock becasue cleaning the blocks gets annoying.

My Prusa will reach 285 and the one with the Mosquito will go a little higher.

Back