2.6-inch 29mm MPR Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up where I left off

After a not-so-brief hiatus for doctor's appointments, tests, and other inconveniences associated with health problems, I'll pick up where I left off in July. Before I had set everything aside, I did manage to finish the fin fillets and apply another coat of gray filler primer, then sand everything with #320 paper.

104.jpg 105.jpg

I'm going to spray a final coat of white primer, sand with #1000, then shoot the top coats of black and white enamel.

Before that, though, I want to secure the altimeter in a dedicated bay.

Altimeter Bay

Ever since I purchased a FlightSketch Mini, I've been kicking around various methods of securing it. Initially, I thought I would just tether it to the nose cone and tuck it in with the parachute. But I didn't like the idea of the Mini dangling for the duration of the descent.

I finally settled on the idea of building a small bay that would fit into the base of the nose cone. Before I could start construction, I needed to know exactly how much space the Mini would occupy, oriented with the long axis of the board parallel to the long axis of the rocket.

Using the ribbed, upper portion of a sock, I stitched a small pouch that would give the board adequate padding, while allowing the barometer to breathe. Slightly compressed, the dimensions of the pouch with the Mini inside were .5 inch x 1 inch x 1.5 inch.

106.jpg 107.jpg

The material I'll be using for the bay is .063 thick sheet polystyrene (from Hobby Lobby).

109.jpg

Now I needed to decide which cement would be best for bonding it to an Apogee Components PNC-66A nose cone. (Apogee's description says the cone is styrene, but I've come to realize that styrene is a term that encompasses a number of different materials.)

108.jpg

I have CA glue (of course), as well as Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, and a tube of Testors 3501 (same stuff as the 'airplane glue' I used for models when I was a kid). The Tamiya and Testors will melt the polystyrene to some degree, which is what I want. The CA? Not sure, but I'll find out by testing.

110.jpg

I cut three small pieces of the sheet PS and glued them to a section of the nose cone that I would ultimately remove for the finished bay, and numbered them 1 (CA), 2 (Tamiya) and 3 (Testors 3501).

111.jpg

I let these dry overnight, then tested by slowly pushing the top of each strip sideways until it broke.

112.jpg 113.jpg

Numbers 1 and 2 broke at the glued joint, but left a small portion of the PS strip adhered to the cone. Number 3 actually started breaking well above the glued joint, and left a sizeable chunk adhered to the cone. This told me the Testors 3501 does a better job of welding these two plastics together.

I also tested the Testors on a sheet-to-sheet joint, since this represent the bay itself. That joint broke the same way as the Testors joint on the nose cone.

So Testors will be my go-to glue for this project.

Last edited:
Next, I cut pieces for the bay. I started by cutting with sharp tin snips, but the narrower strips of PS were curling. So I scored the PS with a straight edge and #2 X-Acto knife, then snapped the pieces apart and cleaned up the edges with #320 paper on a sanding block.

116.jpg

The cementing process was straightforward—run a thin bead along the edge of one piece and press it against the second piece, then hold with moderate pressure for 20 seconds. With the plastic melting a little almost immediately, there was no movement in the pieces once I let go, and it was easy to get straight, squared joints.

117.jpg

Once dried, I tested the fit of the Mini in its pouch.

119.jpg

Next, I positioned the bay on the base of the nose cone, then traced an outline. I cut the opening using a saw blade in a Dremel, being careful to leave the penciled line I traced (for reference), then sanded the edges with a nail file until the bay slipped in with almost no gap at all.

120.jpg 121.jpg

Then I fashioned a flange.

122.jpg 123.jpg 124.jpg 125.jpg 126.jpg

Altimeter Tether

Finally, I need a tether just long enough to reach from the top end of the bay, to the attachment point of the nose cone. Finished length will be about 5 inches, but I'll need about 15 to make this.

Using 250-pound braided Kevlar, I tied a surgeon's end loop on the end that will attach to the cone. I trimmed the excess cord, then finished the knot with a piece of transparent heat-shrink tubing.

132.jpg 133.jpg 134.jpg

Then I slipped another piece of HS tubing onto the Kevlar prior to tying off the other end on the Mini.

135.jpg

For the Mini end of the Kevlar, I want a knot that I allows me to make the loop smaller after the knot is tied. So I used a simple slip knot with two turns, then finished it with HS tubing.

136.jpg 137.jpg 138.jpg 139.jpg

All that remains now is the final painting—a coat of white primer, followed by the enamel top coats. And with that in mind, I'm trying to decide if I want to wait until it's painted, or just head down to the dry lake bed at Jean and light 'er up.

Decisions, decisions.

I love the plastic work on your altimeter bay! Your attention to detail for this build is fantastic.

I was curious, I didn't see any holes in the airframe or the nose cone for pressure equalization during flight to ensure accurate barometric pressure readings. Otherwise the altimeter readings would only be reliable after ejection.

Attached is the best method I've found to determining hole size and placement.

Attachments

• Static Port Holes.pdf
    488.9 KB · Views: 23
I love the plastic work on your altimeter bay! Your attention to detail for this build is fantastic.
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

The air frame has three .125-inch pressure relief vents located 3.5 inches below the top of the body tube. This is where the parachute is, which sits just below the bottom of the nose cone. The nose cone has a .25-inch vent located next to the altimeter bay.

83.jpg 127.jpg

The air frame has three .125-inch pressure relief vents located 3.5 inches below the top of the body tube.

Ah, I see why I was confused. I use a separate set of holes for airframe pressure relief and sampling barometric readings for two reasons:
  1. I keep my avionics entirely isolated from the ejection gasses
  2. The pressure equalization requirements are different.
    1. For the airframe, you want the holes just large enough so the rocket components don't have an unplanned separation during ascent. Larger holes vent ejection gasses; going too large puts the planned separation in jeopardy.
    2. For the avionics, you want large enough holes to ensure equilibrium between the avionics bay and the atmosphere. This requires larger holes than is typically used for airframe vents.
You should be fine but you may want to ground test, especially if you end up using a shear pin in the nose.

I really like how clean those holes are! I get impatient and just use a drill.

@rocketlabdelta --

I'm not using a separate avionics bay, and the nose cone uses no shear pins, relying instead on a slightly tight fit in the body tube to keep it in place.

The nose cone sits directly above the parachute package, which sits on the forward plate of an ejection baffle, which is midway between the motor mount and the top of the tube.

The volume of the tube from the forward centering ring to the bottom of the nose cone (a distance of 19.5 inches) is 103.5 cu. in.

Regarding the attachment in your post (Static Port Holes.pdf), a cursory review of this paper left me with the same feeling of panic I experienced in high school algebra. I had to lie down, wishing I had a Xanax.

Seriously, though, after wading through the equations in the paper (none of which I could follow competently), I found a reference at the bottom of the paper that refers to a spread sheet on the author's web site (offwegorocketry.com). Using this spread sheet, I calculated a port size of 6/64 inch. (See Static Port snippet 1 below.)

Static Port snippet 1.JPG

Compare this to the spread sheet I used in calculating port size for my rocket. (See Static Port snippet 2 below.) Based on this spread sheet, I came up with a port diameter of 1/8 inch, which is 1/32 inch larger than is recommended in Static Port snippet 1.

Static Port snippet 2.JPG

I can only hope that a difference of 1/32 inch x three ports is not a fatal miscalculation. If it is, I could fill the existing ports (not sure how), and cut new ones. I just don't know if I need to.

I can only hope that a difference of 1/32 inch x three ports is not a fatal miscalculation. If it is, I could fill the existing ports (not sure how), and cut new ones. I just don't know if I need to.

Sounds close enough to me! No need for rework.

What really matters is how the rocket actually functions. Some of that you can figure out with a ground test ahead of your first flight.

What really matters is how the rocket actually functions. Some of that you can figure out with a ground test ahead of your first flight.
I don't have the means to do a black powder test. I'm going to do a simple blow test with a tube that fits tight in the motor tube. If I can't blow everything out, I'll figure out something else. (Like how to do a black powder test.)

Are planning to use motor eject to deploy the parachute? Then a vacuum cleaner set to blow might be sufficient to test deployment.
Rex

Bp tests will work... If you have a source of bp and a charge holder. The bp is the hard part, try the vacuum first :cool:.

If you have a source of bp and a charge holder
I don't have either. I'll start with a blow test, which is easiest with what I've got. If that doesn't work, I've got a shop vac I can try. It seems to me, out of those two, the blow test would be better at producing a sudden burst of pressure.

It can be fun accumulating bp. I built a saucer for 24mm and flew it mostly on F12s w/o ejection charges, seemed like every one liked it And I didn't have to walk very far to retrieve it.:) the unused bp went into my stash(I flew a lot saucers)

I don't have either. I'll start with a blow test, which is easiest with what I've got. If that doesn't work, I've got a shop vac I can try. It seems to me, out of those two, the blow test would be better at producing a sudden burst of pressure.
Was reading this thread to see how the launch of your rocket went…? No problems concerning vent / sampling holes ?

Ejection Baffle

(Here again, I began assembly before I started taking pics.)

This is an Apogee BT-80 ejection baffle. I'm using a 5/32" eye bolt for shock cord attachment, rather than the oversized (for my use) eye screw that came with the kit. The eye bolt passes through the baffle plate and reinforcing disk, with a flat washer and nut on each side of the plate. The lower nut is secured with a little J-BW. A dab of J-BW is also applied to the eye to eliminate the gap in the wire.

I modified the design in such a way as to eliminate particle build-up in the body tubes. (I don't know why I dislike crap accumulating in the rocket, but I do. And I will expend a little extra effort to keep that from happening.)

The short tube (1" BT-55) on the aft baffle plate is a choke. It concentrates the flow of hot particles and directs them into the longer tube—the collector—(1.75" BT-60) on the forward baffle plate, where they hit a solid wall (the gas vents are around the perimeter of the plate). After a flight, the particles that remain in the baffle can be shaken out the top of the upper body tube. Any particles that drop back through the baffle to the bottom tube can be shaken out through the motor mount after the motor is removed, along with the ejection charge cap.

The choke and collector tubes are epoxied in place with J-B Weld for heat resistance. Because it is facing directly into the blast of the ejection charge, the back side of the aft baffle plate is coated with a thin film of J-BW.

View attachment 468258 View attachment 468259 View attachment 468260View attachment 468261 View attachment 468262

After the J-BW is fully cured, the edges of the baffle plates and the outside of the tube coupler are masked. Then everything is painted with high-temp paint.

View attachment 468263

Speaking of high temp, I stepped out onto the back patio to spray paint, and was reminded why we do things like this early in the morning in Las Vegas. This was June 6th. I can't wait for July. Then August?!

View attachment 468264

These are the components ready for assembly:

View attachment 468265 View attachment 468266

Really like what you have done with this baffle. I typically stay away from this style as I've had burning embers get past the baffle and up into the recovery gear and burn the shock cord and parachute.

In the past I've cut a third plate. Basically made a duplicate of the upper late with the holes around the outside and used it as the top and bottom plates and used the plate with the small holes in the middle of the baffle.

I think your design has even less chance of embers getting past and it's probably a little lighter as well.

Was reading this thread to see how the launch of your rocket went…? No problems concerning vent / sampling holes ?
I haven't launched the rocket yet. I keep getting sidelined by health problems (doctor's appointments, tests, etc.) On the days that I'm not dealing with that, I'm trying to finish painting the rocket. I just put the last primer coat on a couple of days ago. Now I'm waiting for a day with no wind to start spraying the top coats.

Concerning the vents, I go back to a conversation with @rocketlabdelta (posts 39-43 above) about vent sizing. The calculator he posted suggested a size for my rocket of three 3/32" vents. The calculator I used suggested 1/8". In those posts, we kind of decided that a difference of 1/32" wouldn't matter much, if at all.

Following that exchange, I started thinking again about the volume of body tube that needs to be pressurized, and my feeling that single-use F and G motors are going to be marginal in their ability to eject everything with .7 grams of BP. And while I'm running through all this in my mind, I'm staring at the holes, and it hits me that these are WAY bigger than 3/32". I pull out a 3/32 drill bit and stick it through the vent, and see this:

151.jpg

While I'm cursing quietly, my mind goes back to the brass tubing I used to cut those holes (page 1, post 28, after the rail-button hole cuts), and I realized that 1/8" is the inside diameter, not the outside. A very stupid mistake on my part because I've known since I was a kid that when it comes to tubing—brass, copper, PVC, even garden hose—IT'S INSIDE DIAMETER!

I throw the micrometer on it, and yes, it is most definitely bigger than 1/8". Almost twice as big.

152.jpg

If I wasn't worried about the ejection charge being enough to pop the nose cone with enough force to pull the chute out, I would leave these holes as they are. But I am worried. So, I decided to patch the existing holes and cut new ones.

And while your (@Philip Tiberius D.) question wasn't about this specifically, I'm putting this in here because I was going to post it anyway. I just never got around to it. (I apologize if this turns into 10 minutes of your life you'll never get back.)

Patching a hole in a body tube wall that is only .04" thick, in such a way that any kind of a plug wouldn't simply pop out under the pressure of ejection, took some brainstorming. I finally settled on a method that's the same as a plug-and-patch tire repair—Elmer's Carpenters Glue is the plug, paper tape is the patch.

I used this paper tape from Staples because it sticks better than any tape I've ever used. (The box tape from U-Haul is a close second.)

153.jpg

But it needs a hard surface to stick to. So, I started by swabbing the inside of the body tube around the holes with CA glue to harden the surface.

154.jpg

Next, I had to figure out how to place three small squares of tape down inside the body tube where I couldn't reach with my fingers. I took a wooden stirring stick and soaked the end of it in water, slowly bent it to a slight angle, then left it to dry. Once the stick was ready, I rolled a piece of Scotch tape with the sticky side out, then trimmed it to 1/4" square and super-glued it to the stick. Touch that to the back side of a piece of patching tape, and voila; it worked perfectly.

155.jpg 156.jpg 157.jpg

After placing the pieces of tape, I burnished them with the rounded end of a 1/4" dowel that I use for applying epoxy in hard-to-reach places.

158.jpg

Then I applied a drop of glue to the exterior side.

160.jpg

I let that dry, sanded it flat, dressed it with a little Carpenter's Wood Filler, then sanded it again. This is the tube with old hole on the left, new hole on the right:

161.jpg

This may or may not hold. I won't know until I launch it. And I WILL throw a post up here when that happens.

Really like what you have done with this baffle. I typically stay away from this style as I've had burning embers get past the baffle and up into the recovery gear and burn the shock cord and parachute.

In the past I've cut a third plate. Basically made a duplicate of the upper late with the holes around the outside and used it as the top and bottom plates and used the plate with the small holes in the middle of the baffle.

I think your design has even less chance of embers getting past and it's probably a little lighter as well.
Thank you. I haven't launched this rocket yet, so I don't know how well it will work. But I feel pretty good about it. I'll post a launch report on this same thread when I know for sure.

Enamel Top Coats

Finally got around to spraying the top coats. This is the paint scheme I had in mind—white and classic gray, gloss:

Test Rocket color scheme.jpg

This is not modeling any specific rocket, NASA or USAF. Just my own invention with a military feel. I'll call it the Joint Research Project.

162.jpg 163.jpg

The rocket is close to 40 inches long, so I clamped a 1-inch dowel horizontally to a step ladder rung that would slide up the motor tube. That way I could stand back and spray side to side without changing the distance of spray to rocket, and still rotate the body tube during the painting process.

The white went on fine. Slight orange peel, but only slight. Then gray on top of that, which actually coated better. I did have two small problems—a small spot where the paint creeped underneath the Tamiya tape, and another where the paint chipped.

165.jpg 166.jpg

[Edit] I forgot to mention, I used Dupli-Color Plastic Adhesion Promoter on the polystyrene nose cone. I sanded the cone with 600 paper, wiped it down, then sprayed three light coats, waiting three minutes between coats. Five minutes after the last coat, I sprayed the gray top coats. Turned out great, very smooth, no orange peel.

Last edited:
After I apply the vinyl lettering and logos, I'll coat the entire rocket with acrylic floor polish to protect the paint from further chipping, and to seal the edges of the vinyl so it doesn't peel off in flight.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

167.jpg 168.jpg 169.jpg 170.jpg 171.jpg 172.jpg

Last edited:
Applying Vinyl

I created the text for the vinyl lettering and logos in InDesign, then converted everything from typeface to vector art. Signs.com in Salt Lake City output the vinyl for me.

174.jpg

After cutting the text and logos into individual strips, I marked positions on the body tube in pencil, then Windexed the tube where the vinyl would lay. Then I used the standard method for applying vinyl to a car window or door, which is basically using blue masking tape for a hinge.

After applying the hinge, I lifted the piece and carefully peeled back the carrier paper. The piece was lowered against the body tube, then flattened with a 2-inch rubber brayer. The application tape was then peeled away by lifting the tape hinge first, then slowly peeling it back. The completed strip was burnished again.

The vinyl released from both the application tape and carrier paper nicely, with no hangups.

175.jpg 176.jpg 177.jpg 178.jpg 179.jpg 180.jpg 181.jpg 182.jpg

I'm really pleased with the way the vinyl turned out. The black lettering compliments the gray quite nicely.

As I mentioned in the post above, I plan on coating the entire rocket with acrylic floor polish to seal the edges of the vinyl, and to protect the paint from wear and tear. I'll post again when that's done.

Last edited:
Back