Quantcast

2.6” Nike/Arcas style high power two-stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rfjustin

Reaction score
Inspired by some fine two-stage action at Airfest 26 (2020) in KS over Labor Day weekend, I cooked up a preliminary design in my head for a 2.6” diameter two-stage, 54mm mounts in both top and bottom. (4) Nike style fins for booster, (4) Arcas style fins for sustainer. This is not meant to be scale in any way, just a sporty two stage that should be able to stretch its legs a bit in KS next year.

Overall length will be kept minimal, but not painfully so. Max motor for both top and bottom will be the AT 2800/CTI 6XL. Intended motor combo for Airfest 27 (2021) is an AT L-1090 to AT K-250. Booster components are on order from Mach 1 rocketry, and other orders need to be placed to PerfectFlite, Missile Works, Wildman, Additive Aerospace, and Featherweight.

Sustainer will be head-end dual deploy, with Missile Works RRC3 and Featherweight Raven 4 for deployment back-up and lighting of the sustainer motor intelligently. Booster will be single deploy from an RRC3, plus PerfectFlite timer to fire a small separation charge.

This is a less than typical build thread for me as I usually don’t begin a build thread until I have all the parts in hand, but this will be a work in progress over the fall/winter, so here goes. I’m very much looking forward to seeing what Mach 1 Rocketry delivers in the near(ish) future. Fins are also on order, more to come…

Fins scribble stick.JPG

Eric

Reaction score
That will be an amazing flight. Looking forward to seeing your interstate coupler design.

rfjustin

Reaction score
That will be an amazing flight. Looking forward to seeing your interstate coupler design.
Nothing fancy, just glass coupler that will slide into sustainer, avionics contained inside said coupler for booster deployment as well.

David_Stack

Reaction score
'passed them over the router with good results...' I'll say. That looks fantastic!

Would be curious to gain a better understanding of how you did that work. CNC, or otherwise? If your process has been addressed in a prior thread, a hint on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

rfjustin

Reaction score
'passed them over the router with good results...' I'll say. That looks fantastic!

Would be curious to gain a better understanding of how you did that work. CNC, or otherwise? If your process has been addressed in a prior thread, a hint on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

TimothyG

Reaction score
I can't believe you found a K250. I've been looking for a year now with no luck. Any chance your source has another?

rfjustin

Reaction score
Shout-out to Ian D. from Badass Rocketry for getting me set up with proper fin thickness 2.6" guides. Now we can really think about putting pen to paper in the next couple months. :)

Resized_20201025_135539_8633.jpeg