2.56" Nose Cone with Removable Shoulder - Fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeke Johnson

Reaction score
>>>------->

Does anyone know of a good source for a 2.56" Fiberglass Nose Cone with Removable Shoulder?

My goal was to use the BadAss 65mm Nose Bay with the Mach 1 65mm Nose Cone.

I received the BadAss Nose bay in about 1 week ARO. I do not think the Mach 1 order will ever ship, however. It was ordered over 3 weeks ago with no shipping updates.

The Bad Ass Bay requires the nose cone shoulder to be removable.

The nose cone I am trying to replace is:

Plastic ogive nosecone LOC 2.56"- $15.39
Shoulder OD = 64.6mm
Outer OD = 67.2mm

This is the 2.56" plastic nose cone provided with Giant Leap kits.

The Mach 1 looks like an almost perfect match.

I found something similar by MadCow, but they do not provide any specifications for their nose cones on the Web Site. I emailed their support team and they do not have any specs to provide either.

The Wildman 2.6 cone is one solid piece.

Can anyone suggest another vendors to look at for fiberglass nose cones meeting this criteria?

Thank you,
Zeke

Actually they are. You can upgrade to them ad they shoulder he sells are also. I have several.
Not all of them, just the upgraded ones.

>>>------->

Does anyone know of a good source for a 2.56" Fiberglass Nose Cone with Removable Shoulder?

My goal was to use the BadAss 65mm Nose Bay with the Mach 1 65mm Nose Cone.

I received the BadAss Nose bay in about 1 week ARO. I do not think the Mach 1 order will ever ship, however. It was ordered over 3 weeks ago with no shipping updates.

The Bad Ass Bay requires the nose cone shoulder to be removable.

The nose cone I am trying to replace is:

Plastic ogive nosecone LOC 2.56"- $15.39
Shoulder OD = 64.6mm
Outer OD = 67.2mm

This is the 2.56" plastic nose cone provided with Giant Leap kits.

The Mach 1 looks like an almost perfect match.

I found something similar by MadCow, but they do not provide any specifications for their nose cones on the Web Site. I emailed their support team and they do not have any specs to provide either.

The Wildman 2.6 cone is one solid piece.

Can anyone suggest another vendors to look at for fiberglass nose cones meeting this criteria?

Thank you,
Zeke

I saw those as well and my thought was that you would cut off the shoulder of an existing nose cone and replace it with the sleeve and mount you purchased from them. I could be wrong as I haven’t pulled the trigger and ordered but that’s how I viewed it.

I saw those as well and my thought was that you would cut off the shoulder of an existing nose cone and replace it with the sleeve and mount you purchased from them. I could be wrong as I haven’t pulled the trigger and ordered but that’s how I viewed it.

Unfortunately, you can't just saw off the Wildman shoulder and use another standard coupler. The Inside Diameter of the shoulder is the same inside the nose cone. You would essentially need to find a coupler that would fit inside the existing coupler.

I'm not sure the Mach 1 nose cones come from Wildman. They look totally different. The Mach 1 cones say they are "Compressed Resin and Fiberglass". The Wildman nose cones are "Filament Wound".

https://www.mach1rocketry.com/fiberglass-nosecones.html
https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/nosecone

It would be awesome if Mach 1 was actually shipping product. This nose cone looks almost perfect:

https://www.mach1rocketry.com/store...Nose_Cone_with_Stepped_Aluminum_Tip_5:1_.html

If anyone has any nose cone supplier suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Zeke

The 2.2" fiberglass nose cone I got from madcow last year had a separate shoulder. I would expect a larger one to be the same. Not an authoritative answer, but hopefully of use to you.

I am surprised you didn't get a response from them -- I had a question recently about their slotted body tubes and got an answer in a couple of days.

We have 4 shapes
3:1 Ogive
4:1 Ogive
5:1 Ogive
5:1 Conical
More to come.

All filament wound Fiberglass with removable coupler

Thanks
Sales Dept
compositewarehouse.com

The 2.2" fiberglass nose cone I got from madcow last year had a separate shoulder. I would expect a larger one to be the same. Not an authoritative answer, but hopefully of use to you.

I am surprised you didn't get a response from them -- I had a question recently about their slotted body tubes and got an answer in a couple of days.

I got a reply from MadCow within a few minutes of my initial inquiry. They just could not offer any dimensional specifications. They could not verify the OD of the shoulder.

The MadCow WebSite provides no dimensions or technical information for any of their products.

Mach 1 is mostly non-responsive.

Zeke

Specs on Composite Warehouse look close.

How does Madcow not know the specs of their products? Or have one handy to measure. Wow. Come on Madcow, you can do better than that. For the record, I fly lots of Madcows, not saying anything negative, just don't see how you don't know the product you sell.

>>>------>

I ended up ordering the 2.6" nose cone from Composite Warehouse.

Fortunately, the nose cone shipped on the day they promised, and I actually received it a day earlier than expected. I placed the order on Monday, and received it on Friday.

Overall, it seems to be a very high quality product. After doing my research on this forum, I discovered that Mad Cow is just reselling the Composite Warehouse fiberglass products.

I never did get accurate info from Mad Cow on the nose cones. I did get a few responses, but the dimensions were not what I asked for, and the measurements provided were not accurate.

I think if Mad Cow spent about 5 minutes updating their Web Site, it would benefit them. There is very little info on anything they are selling, and the pictures are not the greatest.

The information @CompositeWarehouse provided via the Chat option on their Web Site was spot on.

I did have to sand down the shoulder quite a bit, I mean A LOT, to fit into the 2.56" Giant Leap air frame. The end result, however, is a very nice fiberglass nose code, with a Bad Ass Sled, on top of my Giant Leap Doppler Shift.

Thank you, @CompositeWarehouse, for the accurate information and speedy delivery of the nose cone.

We have 4 shapes
3:1 Ogive
4:1 Ogive
5:1 Ogive
5:1 Conical
More to come.

All filament wound Fiberglass with removable coupler

Thanks
Sales Dept
compositewarehouse.com

Zeke

>>>------>

I ended up ordering the 2.6" nose cone from Composite Warehouse.

Fortunately, the nose cone shipped on the day they promised, and I actually received it a day earlier than expected. I placed the order on Monday, and received it on Friday.

Overall, it seems to be a very high quality product. After doing my research on this forum, I discovered that Mad Cow is just reselling the Composite Warehouse fiberglass products.

I never did get accurate info from Mad Cow on the nose cones. I did get a few responses, but the dimensions were not what I asked for, and the measurements provided were not accurate.

I think if Mad Cow spent about 5 minutes updating their Web Site, it would benefit them. There is very little info on anything they are selling, and the pictures are not the greatest.

The information @CompositeWarehouse provided via the Chat option on their Web Site was spot on.

I did have to sand down the shoulder quite a bit, I mean A LOT, to fit into the 2.56" Giant Leap air frame. The end result, however, is a very nice fiberglass nose code, with a Bad Ass Sled, on top of my Giant Leap Doppler Shift.

Thank you, @CompositeWarehouse, for the accurate information and speedy delivery of the nose cone.

Zeke

You know, you could have ten different people take measurements and you will probably get ten different answers. Afterall, the nosecone you got from Composite Warehouse had to be sanded down quite a bit to fit. Your criticisms are ill thought out and unwarranted.

You know, you could have ten different people take measurements and you will probably get ten different answers. Afterall, the nosecone you got from Composite Warehouse had to be sanded down quite a bit to fit. Your criticisms are ill thought out and unwarranted.
I was just stating the facts. The info I received from Mad Cow was inaccurate. Their Web Site lacks a lot of info. Their pictures are not the greatest. If they updated their Web Site, it would probably benefit them.

Example:

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/fiberglass-2-2-54mm-filament-wound-composite-tip-select-shape/
Composite Warehouse provided extensive, accurate, dimensional specifications.

I now know the Composite Warehouse and Mad Cow nose cones are the same. They all come from Composite Warehouse.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Maybe you could call it "Constructive Criticism".

Zeke

I was just stating the facts. The info I received from Mad Cow was inaccurate. Their Web Site lacks a lot of info. Their pictures are not the greatest. If they updated their Web Site, it would probably benefit them.

Example:

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/fiberglass-2-2-54mm-filament-wound-composite-tip-select-shape/
Composite Warehouse provided extensive, accurate, dimensional specifications.

I now know the Composite Warehouse and Mad Cow nose cones are the same. They all come from Composite Warehouse.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Maybe you could call it "Constructive Criticism".

Zeke

That’s why I said that ten different people could come up with ten different measurements . . . who’s right and who’s wrong?

That’s why I said that ten different people could come up with ten different measurements . . . who’s right and who’s wrong?
If there is no objective reality, even given that people make mistakes, we would have never gotten to the moon. Out of all the people making measurements one of them is closest to the reality. We generally designate that one as right.

Back