2.4X Upscale Estes MK-109

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Well, here I go again.......... Doing another estes upscale rocket...... This time I going to do a 2.4X Estes MK-109......... I think I have everything except the nosecone......... So take a wild guess where I am going to get that?.........

Sandman, here's that screen shot you asked for.........

Let me know if you need help scaling this one up since I made the RockSim file for the MK-109.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
Let me know if you need help scaling this one up since I made the RockSim file for the MK-109.

OK Bruce, I have an extra 2.63" body tube that I am going to use..... The estes kit is 1.1", so 2.63 / 1.1 = 2.4........ So this is going to be a 2.4X upscale???????

I have asked Sandman to make a 11" nosecone...... (2.4 X 4.6) with a 1" or 2" shoulder...........

MK-109 Stingray length is 15 5/8" with an 11 1/16" long body tube not couting the engine hook. I agree with the 2.4 X factor for the scale up. The main body tube should be 26.5" long the model should have an overall length of 37.5" which means an 11" long nosecone.

Sandman has finished the nosecone and will be shipping it soon....(he's faster than santa)......... I will be ordering some 1/8" fin stock.......... I have some 3/16" stuff, but I think it's overkill (yea, it's hard to believe "I" am saying that)........ I have emailed papa tango decals to see if they can make the decals..........

I will start on the centering rings soon........

Tom at Papa Tango Decals is having a hard time finding the orginal decals........ He has asked me if I know what number the MK-109 is....... I have no idea, as the box is long gone....... Can anyone here help..........

Randy,

I have an Mk-109 in the box. It's Estes #2131. I can scan decals if needed, just let me know.

By the way, I think this is going to be one cool upscale. I'm anxious to see it.

bmhiii

Originally posted by bmhiii
Randy,

I have an Mk-109 in the box. It's Estes #2131. I can scan decals if needed, just let me know.

By the way, I think this is going to be one cool upscale. I'm anxious to see it.

bmhiii

bmhiii, you are great!!!!..... I have emailed Tom and told him the number and told him you offered to scan them....... We will see what he says.....

Yes, I am getting excited about the upscale myself...... I have ordered the fin stock, so just waiting right now.....

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by bmhiii
I can scan decals if needed, just let me know.

I just got another email from Tom....... If you can scan your decals it will help out a bunch......

Randy,

Here's the scan. I'm not an expert at doing this so if doesn't work, let me know what's wrong and I'll try to redo it.

Notice the 1 inch line for scale.

Good luck!!!

bmhiii

I got a package in the mail today!!!!! It's the nosecone from Roachworks INC....... And it was autographed..... How cool is that!!!!

Great job Sandman........ I can't wait for my fin stock to get here so I can really get started..........

Goody boxes from Sandman are like magic to those of us scratchbuilders.

Nice!

How do you plan to power your big MK-109? 3x24mm? 29mm?

Inquiring minds want to know....... ;)

Originally posted by Fore Check
How do you plan to power your big MK-109? 3x24mm? 29mm?

Inquiring minds want to know....... ;)

BOTH.......I have been thinking trying a "multi-configuration" motor mount...... an exchangable motor mount, one with 3X24mm and one with a 29mm.........

What you think?

NICE -

I saw somewhere that someone was selling an interchangeable mount like that. Maybe it was truemodeler.com - I can't remember.

goog luck! Can't wait to see build pics.

I got my 1/8" fin stock today....... I "should" finish my 3X estes Bullpup before I start on this one......... (whether or not I "do" what I should is another question)

While waiting for epoxy to dry on my Bullpup, I worked on the fins for the MK-109 upscale.........

Here's how they turned out.......

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
While waiting for epoxy to dry on my Bullpup, I worked on the fins for the MK-109 upscale.........

Here's how they turned out.......

Very nice. I like the fin stock cut outs. Don't military scale missiles just look cooler when they're bigger? :D Looks like it's a real pleasure to build.

I was able to spend a little time on my interchangeable motor mount system...........

Here's a pic of the bulkhead....... The outer diameter has already been cut to the right size and now I am about the cut the inside.......

Here it is all sanded, holes drilled and the 6-32 all-thread ready to be installed.....

The pic is NOT my work..... This is what I got from our very own flying silverado........

NOW.......... Here is what a G80 looks like next to the motor mount........ My question is this........ Is that too much sticking out the other end (the end towards the nosecone) Will the motor mount be able to support this motor?

Or can I get longer 24mm motor tubes, thus enabling me to use a longer 29mm motor tube......

I have pretty much competed the motor mounts...... Here is the (3) 24mm motor mount...... I ordered longer tubes from FLisKits......

To secure the engine modules into the rocket, I will have a bulkhead with T-nuts up in the body tube....... I have made 3 long bolts (all-thread and wing nuts epoxied together) that will run through the engine module and into bulkhead.........

Here's the bolts I made..........

Oh yea, in the pic with the (3) 24mm motor mount, there is a piece of 6-32 all-thread in the middle of the 3 motor tubes sticking out about 3/4" ....... This is my motor retention system..........

Latest posts

Back