1st Mid Rocket - Another Rocket Lost

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDude

Reaction score
What's up dudes.

This is my 2nd rocket I've launched. The 1st was an alpha 3 which I launched twice. The 1st on an A motor which was easily recovered. Then I got hungry for height and went to c motors and lost the alpha 3.

i decided c motors weren't enough and bought a star orbiter from hobby lobby and a couple of f motors. Star orbiter seemed lame to me so I renamed it and painted it to my liking. Launched it today at a local park I knew would probably lose the rocket at, but didn't want to drive 20 miles to the rocket "airport." Totally worth it despite losing the rocket.

The next rocket I build will be for certification. I just love seeing these things fly. If y'all have any suggestions for such a rocket I'd love to hear it. I'm mostly interested in rockets that cause as much flame/show as possible at liftoff and height is my second concern.

IMG_0580.jpg

Trying to upload video of the launch but the site doesn't like my iPhone video

hahaha but the "junior" version would work for both level 1 and level 2. Not too high for single deploy level 1 and I got a mile on a CTI J381skid for my L2. J600 will get you 8288.......ask me how I know ;>

I just figured after building two rockets and losing both, if he wants to certify, go big or go home. Am I right? Lol

Write your name, phone number, and email address on your rockets and you might be reunited with them if/when it happens again and is found.

It's just my opinion, but you might want to learn how to launch and recover your models before jumping off the deep end ($$) with certifications for high power. Learn the finer points of "flying the field" so that whatever you launch you can get it back safely and fly it again and again.

It's just my opinion, but you might want to learn how to launch and recover your models before jumping off the deep end ($$) with certifications for high power. Learn the finer points of "flying the field" so that whatever you launch you can get it back safely and fly it again and again.

Yes, this.

Get something super draggy if you don't want altitude. And make it a light one to use a larger range of motors.
Madcow Cowabunga, Squat, or Tembo.
LOC Minnie Magg

Mikey D

I plan to use a 29 to 24mm adapter in my Orbiter. Even toyed with the idea of dual deploy, or at least a chute release. Still need to buy my level one/two kit. Looking hard at the 4" Binder Excel 54mm Dual Deploy. I got some RRC3s off the yard sale, so it's starting to come together.

I just figured after building two rockets and losing both, if he wants to certify, go big or go home. Am I right? Lol

I launched it in a baseball field surrounded by a neighborhood. I knew I was going to lose this thing going into it and was fine with it. It cost me 21 bucks.

Theres a rocket site nearby I'll be launching the rockets I really need to recover.

Might want to check the NAR Safety Code. Pretty much implies (#10) that recovering the rocket is recommended.

I haven't gone for my level one yet, but I have flown a bunch of low and mid power. Recovery is not something you want to forget about. If you've not recently recovered a rocket, and go for your cert flight, you might want to overkill the recovery system, since there's no proven, tested system that you're using.

My two cents.

I launched it in a baseball field surrounded by a neighborhood. I knew I was going to lose this thing going into it and was fine with it. It cost me 21 bucks.

Theres a rocket site nearby I'll be launching the rockets I really need to recover.

You really need to plan to recover every rocket. I understand that's not always possible but you should never fire and forget. Unless you're the owner others may use that property and if they keep finding discarded rockets someone will try to stop launches there. It's no different from "pack it in; pack it out."

You really need to plan to recover every rocket. I understand that's not always possible but you should never fire and forget. Unless you're the owner others may use that property and if they keep finding discarded rockets someone will try to stop launches there. It's no different from "pack it in; pack it out."

Good point. I'll be launching at the launch site from here on out. I'm confident I can recover there since I've been able to record the rockets parachuting down and the general area it landed.

Additionally, recovery is one of the important differences between model rockets and fireworks and the differences are what keep model rocketry from being regulated as fireworks.

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to attack you; I'm not and I appreciate that you took the advice. Just wanted to add another detail.

If I'm understanding correctly...
Two rockets, a total of three launches, only one recovery.

Last launch was an "F" motor in a neighborhood park. You knew you would probably loose this, but you were just so excited that you couldn't wait to launch it.

It never occurred to you that if something went wrong with the ejection, the rocket could come down ballistic at 200 MPH and damage property or injure someone a half mile from the park?

I'm sorry to say this but what you did seems immature, and irresponsible.

My suggestion - join a rocketry club. In the USA, clubs are located all over. It's easy to find a club - Google is your friend. It's true you may have to drive some distance. I am a member of WOOSH in Wisconsin. It's an hour drive for me to get to "BONG" state recreation area where we launch. You will have a lot more fun launching with a club. It's way better than going to the park and throwing away $20.

I personally wouldn't fly anything above a D in a local park. Too easy to lose the bird.

As others' have commented, sounds like you need to get your recovery sorted out on smaller flights first. Up is easy. Recovery is the tricky bit.

In hindsight, it seems the 20-mile drive to a real rocket field would cost less time and money than going 1 for 3 at the park.

If you want a big show and not much altitude, then something in the 20-25 ounce range with an Aerotech F44-4W will do nicely. It's loud enough that I really don't recommend it at a park unless you're ready to have the cops called on you and resulting loss of rocket privileges there.

[video=youtube;eokcNB-B000]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokcNB-B000&t=67s[/video]

I launched it in a baseball field surrounded by a neighborhood.

I do the same, but I am super-careful about it. A LPR that drifts away now and again is not a big concern. I am more concerned with a recovery failure and a ballistic landing into the neighborhood. A little weathercocking of a MPR will put the trajectory out of the park and over the neighborhood. Then, it's pucker time waiting for the chute to deploy.

In hindsight, it seems the 20-mile drive to a real rocket field would cost less time and money than going 1 for 3 at the park.

If you want a big show and not much altitude, then something in the 20-25 ounce range with an Aerotech F44-4W will do nicely. It's loud enough that I really don't recommend it at a park unless you're ready to have the cops called on you and resulting loss of rocket privileges there.

[video=youtube;eokcNB-B000]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokcNB-B000&t=67s[/video]

Built another star orbiter and a majestic and launched them today at a friends house who has over 50 acres, using f motors on both. Recovery was pretty easy using Estes recovery wadding and the included parachutes. Gave the rockets to my buddy's little bro afterwards.

Agreed. I won't be launching at the park anymore mainly because those smaller motors simply aren't worth it to me. Even after a few launches today on F motors I wasn't having as much fun.

We all like different things, but I enjoy launching A or 1/2A motors in the backyard (my 2 acres, plus the neighbors 2 acres & woods in the back). I make it a point to go after every rocket launched, but yes have had a couple float away.
My build time is worth the time I spend to go after what I fly.

So, you like big motors and impressive launches, but don't want to go very high because you keep losing them?

Two words for you..... Art Applewhite!

They may be real strange looking (it's a whole sub-genre called OddRoc's), but they're so draggy that you'll never get any altitude no matter how much power you put into 'em. They just make a LOT of noise and fury, go up a weeeee little bit, and come down close.

So, you like big motors and impressive launches, but don't want to go very high because you keep losing them?

Two words for you..... Art Applewhite!

They may be real strange looking (it's a whole sub-genre called OddRoc's), but they're so draggy that you'll never get any altitude no matter how much power you put into 'em. They just make a LOT of noise and fury, go up a weeeee little bit, and come down close.

Thanks. I think I actually talked to Art on the phone, he's a nice dude. I don't really care how strange they look - most people I know who launch rockets aren't necessarily people I would hang out with outside of this hobby. I don't have to shy away from high altitude anymore now that I have a legit place to launch.

Back