1st launch in a long time today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putawaywet

Reaction score
First time on this board so..........hello.
Pretty much stopped building/flying rockets around 1982 but while buying christmas gifts this last season I purchased an Alpha launch kit(very affordable starter) for a friend.Went back the next day and got one for myself(wife frowns:mad: ).Had it assembled in about a day.Launched the next weekend with a buddy.BAM!Hooked again!Instantly went out and got a Cherokee.This one took a few weeks to build.Could have completed it sooner but I've always got too many irons in the fire.It goes up today so wish me luck.Got a pretty large field(about 15 acres)with few trees and winds today are light out of the north west.Going to send the Alpha up first with a C to get the feel of upper winds but still concerned about the altitude of the cherokee and where it may land.
Glad to see so many old schoolers on the board.I was worried I may be the only old fart.:p

Welcome to the Forum and good luck on your launch...... We have a wide range in ages here..... From a few pre-teens (or at least early teens) to some at or near retirement...... That is part of what makes this place great........ A wide range of experiences and backgrounds with one common addiction (I mean interest) ........:D :D

welcome !
and good luck with the Cherokee flight(s)..!

mabey fly it in seperate stages ,,working up to a full out flight
you may want spotters around individually watching each stages decent path..

I've got a group of friends/spotters,lots of binoculars,a ladder and a 6 foot release gaff(for tree hangs).
Hoping for multiple launches.

Welcome to the forum!

I would try it on its lowest recommended motor power for the first flight. Or is the C the lowest power?

Acually it say's I can do a single stage with an A but the smallest I have right now is a B.

Hi Putawaywet!
Welcome to the forum!!! Just a question, is it a Comanche 3 you bought or a Cherokee?

Originally posted by rokitflite
Hi Putawaywet!
Welcome to the forum!!! Just a question, is it a Comanche 3 you bought or a Cherokee?

Sorry.It's a Comanche 3.I've got the specs right in front of me and still got it wrong!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by putawaywet
Sorry.It's a Comanche 3.I've got the specs right in front of me and still got it wrong!:rolleyes:

Gotta give the guy a break. I bet he's still got the rocketry mindset of the 80s! (ie - Cherokee D)

WELCOME TO THE ROCKETRY FORUM!

Rekindling an interest in rocketry kinda makes you wonder why you ever left. Doesn't it? Glad you're back.

Originally posted by eugenefl
I bet he's still got the rocketry mindset of the 80s! (ie - Cherokee D)

Glad you're back.

HAHA!Indeed!Cherokee,Red Max,Photon torpedo and the orig. Eggsesive but it was called something else back then.
Wish I had'nt given all my rockets away.

Howdy "putawaywet,"

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Forum - the friendliest bunch of rocketeers on the net.

Originally posted by putawaywet
I've got a group of friends/spotters,lots of binoculars,a ladder and a 6 foot release gaff(for tree hangs).
Hoping for multiple launches.

Sounds like you've got most of what you need, then. :) Looks like you've launched multi-stage birds before, from this "prep list."

Best of luck, and please do let us know how you get on.

Welcome to the forum!! Good luck with the Commanche launch today. I've seen one fly once with a full load. Luckily, I was out in the field when it launched, and it landed within 20 feet of me. Everyone else was looking the wrong way.

Yep, good luck. This reminds me of a CC express launch somehow, they were looking for it about a mile away and it took at least an hour :eek:

I just launched my Comanche3 for the first time last weekend, we launched it on a D12-0, C6-0, B6-4 combo. It was by far the coolest launch I've been involved with to date, the 2nd stage booster got hung up on the rocket and got burned up pretty bad, but we got it all back and it's repairable. I love that rocket!

Butch

Comanche 3 got two launches off.1st a single stage C6-7.Next was a three stage launched at 6:00pm. D12-0,C6-7 and a C6-5.Broke fin off 1st stage section and main body recovered at 3:00 this aternoon.
All is well.
Just got home from work.I'll try to post a more detailed w/ pics later.
:D

Back