1st L1 Project - LOC Mini Magg 5.5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PromptSupercritical

Reaction score
So new here to the RF. Great resources and some really good ideas. I can see I am the green one again...

Starting in on my first L1 kit, the LOC Bruiser EXP Dual Deploy...no not really. :)
I went back and forth on a 4-5" diameter kit and settled on the LOC Mini Magg. Looks to be a good kit, flies well on a variety of motors, and there are a number of threads about it here on RF.
Like having a larger tube to work with (space...ahhh).

Going with Areopack 38mm retainer and trying out the Conformal Rail Guides in lieu of the tube lug or circular rail guides.
Gonna stay pretty basic and keep it simple. Plan to reinforce the motor mount attachment to the main tube a bit.
Seeing that the kit tolerates some fairly strong motors, I think it does not require to much extra work to fly well.

Stay safe peeps!

Welcome to the forum!

Good choice for an L1, LOC kits are sturdy and go together well with either wood glue or epoxy. The big body diameter will keep it in sight too!

I'd caution against going overboard with the reinforcement. It puts weight at the wrong end of the rocket, and with the rear centering ring butted right up to the fin tabs, it'll take any 38 motor you can fit in it.

Have fun!

Ya not going to go nuts on adding material. I favor keeping it light.
Our area is limited on launching L1's - probably set it up for a first flight with a motor to accommodate our field in Southern Oregon.
That is assuming we ever can be social again - dang viruses all up in our grill!

So new here to the RF. Great resources and some really good ideas. I can see I am the green one again...

Starting in on my first L1 kit, the LOC Bruiser EXP Dual Deploy...no not really. :)
I went back and forth on a 4-5" diameter kit and settled on the LOC Mini Magg. Looks to be a good kit, flies well on a variety of motors, and there are a number of threads about it here on RF.
Like having a larger tube to work with (space...ahhh).

Going with Areopack 38mm retainer and trying out the Conformal Rail Guides in lieu of the tube lug or circular rail guides.
Gonna stay pretty basic and keep it simple. Plan to reinforce the motor mount attachment to the main tube a bit.
Seeing that the kit tolerates some fairly strong motors, I think it does not require to much extra work to fly well.

Stay safe peeps!
You could do L2 with Mini Magg. It's a great kit.

Nice choice...

A Nuke Pro Maxx with the Electronics Bay to do Dual Deploy would also make an excellent L1 rocket. The 38mm MMT lets you fly the whole range of L1 motors and the dual deploy lets you get it back when you push it with the large I motors.

Welcome aboard and have fun!

I was initially going overboard and looking at more complex rockets, such as ones suitable for DD. I chose the MM to give me a good start and then pursue another build. Just being able to take this step has me really excited.

And yes, it could do the L2 if I don't feel like building something at the time. There are so many rockets to choose from.

I am also working on finalizing a robust launch pad. Have a good design done - just need a couple plasma parts cut and I will get started.
I'll post something on it later.

Thanks for the comments all.

Like everyone has said, great choice. It’s a cool rocket. I’ve always wanted to build an mini mag, so I’ll be living vicariously through this thread.

So what motor reload casings are people running in the MM?
I'd like to have room for growth but don't want to waste cash that will no doubt go towards another build.
Thoughts on the RMS 38/360 or 38/480...

If the club you certify and fly with has an onsite vendor, its always a good idea to use the brand of motor they carry (saves on hazmat). I have used Cesaroni motors for the most part, although I'm slowly getting more Aerotech Hardware.

Since this is a fat rocket, a little extra punch from the 38/360-480 motors can't hurt. You can also buy the Adapter system later to be able to use two reload sizes down in a case.

Use thrustcurve.org or download Openrocket (free) to simulate your motor choices. That way you can see what sort of altitudes you'll get, and which motors have enough oomph to get you off the rail safely.

I'll get in touch with our local club and look into it. I will also check with out LHS and see if they get in motors.
Having seen how the larger AT motors cases can adapt to fewer grains, I will likely go with a 38/480.

I have also been playing with OpenRocket to simulate the MM with various motor - seems an intuitive program to me.
I'll check out thrustcurve.org - thanks for the suggestion.

Night all...

MM is a big fat rocket, I would use AT I211 for L1 and J350 for L2

MM is a great choice for a L1. It's always a pleaser, looks good and is fun to watch.

So leaning towards a minimum 38/480 RMS setup but feel the 38/600 will be better for the progression to L2.
Getting the adapter set for sure to make the setup work for the MM on the less powerful H motors.

Did some Excel charts on DMS vs. RMS motor cost - seems like you need to be launching more than 12-15 times to see a savings. If you start with a 38/240 then move to a 600 or 720, you have to launch a lot more to see any savings due to the initial investment of the RMS motor parts.

So my question to you all is: How many times are you launching the kits you build?

Most of us that have one or more Minnie-Magg's launch them four or more times a year. It's a great rocket, flys straight and is indeed a crowd pleaser.

So what motor reload casings are people running in the MM?
I'd like to have room for growth but don't want to waste cash that will no doubt go towards another build.
Thoughts on the RMS 38/360 or 38/480...

put a 54 mmt in it and youre open for a LOT. you can fly it on a J90 then-after ya get yer L2. :)
add a chunk of body tube later on and yer L2 ready.

Did some Excel charts on DMS vs. RMS motor cost - seems like you need to be launching more than 12-15 times to see a savings. If you start with a 38/240 then move to a 600 or 720, you have to launch a lot more to see any savings due to the initial investment of the RMS motor parts.

So my question to you all is: How many times are you launching the kits you build?

I started with a PML Callisto in 2003. It got 7 flight at my first launch. I'm not sure if the vendor ran out of F&G motors or I ran out of money.
I didn't really start logging flights until 2006. I think I've had 100+ flights on that rocket and I'm still flying it.

My L2 cert rocket got retired after 50 flights.

My first 29/40-120 case has at least 50 flights on it.

Will you get your money's worth out of a kit or motor case. It depends on how long you are going to fly. It also depends on your attitude. Sometimes it's just worth it to have the case you need when the vendor has the perfect reload for your rocket for that day's flying conditions.

It's a hobby, not a business. Make yourself happy, not rich.

That is a good point regarding motor availability. I have not been to any meets yet and have no idea what vendors would be around to supply who knows what.
I have asked one of the members in our local club more about what goes on at meets - we'll see I guess.
Appreciate the feedback.

put a 54 mmt in it and youre open for a LOT. you can fly it on a J90 then-after ya get yer L2. :)
add a chunk of body tube later on and yer L2 ready.
I am going to save the 54mm bits for my L2 build. I am really, really trying not to get carried away with this.
That will be a fun step for sure. I have a couple good candidates fro L2. ;)

I don’t think I have more than 15 flights on anyone rocket, but I probably have 20 flights on my CTI 29mm 3 grain case (full G to baby H). Also, last I looked at DMS options, you had relatively few propellant choices. Being able to fly red or smokey might not pencil out in dollars butthe variety is more fun.

Thought I would post this here as well - in regards to MMT and choice of motor case length...
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/lengthening-motor-mount.159174/
FredA said:
What for?
Why do you need a longer MMT?
You can just let the motor extend beyond the current and protrude into the bay above.
MMT's don't really do anything beyond keep the motor aligned - a short tube is all you need.

PS:
I was getting ready to ask about this. As I am new to RMS style motors I was not clear on whether or not the motor case could extend past the motor mount tube (MMT) internally. I am building the LOC Mini Magg, which has a 13" long MMT. I was assuming my motor case should not exceed that length, but now I am to understand it does not matter. Are there any guidelines to follow on MMT length vs. case length, excluding physical space inside the main body?

Are there any guidelines to follow on MMT length vs. case length, excluding physical space inside the main body?

You can use an extended mmt and centering ring to reduce the volume needed to pressurize by ejection charge (although I think your read that already)
Of course it's nice to have the mount at least long enough to bond the fin roots too (except in rare cases where the fin tabs don't extend all the way to the mount)

Fred had a couple good points in that thread. Like a motor tube acting as an insulator protecting the shock cord/harness from the hot motor case (although he caveated that wasn't a problem for most motors since they don't get too hot. Probably only long burning reloads in long cases where the barbecue starts to happen)
One other thing he said that I haven't heard of was "forward centering ring 1/3rd of longest case length up from thrust ring"

So the Minnie Magg came in yesterday - pretty cool kit. When I opened the box I thought for a moment I got the larger version because the tube was so large. There must be two slightly different versions of the MM shipping as I was expecting the newer version with the fin-lock design.
That said, I am kind of glad I have the kit with the fins that extend to the MMT as it will be a bit more robust regarding the MMT-main tube connection.

Kit contents...

Attachments

• kit contents.jpg
    kit contents.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 38
Motor mount tube and retainer...

Attachments

• mmt-1.jpg
    mmt-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 6
  • mmt-2.jpg
    mmt-2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 6
  • mmt-3.jpg
    mmt-3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 6
  • mmt-4.jpg
    mmt-4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5
Rail guides...I'm going with the aero style (black). The white nylon conformal guides fit the tube perfectly, just going to save those for now.

Attachments

• rail guides 1.jpg
    rail guides 1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 11
  • conformal guide.jpg
    conformal guide.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
So the previous post shows the AT 38/720 case fit in the MMT. This will be what I am rolling with. I want the option of doing my L2 with the MM, but seeing as I have little self-control, I will probably build another kit. The motor projects 2.25" past the MMT but still leaves room for everything else.
The nose cone is huge and could be used to house the chute if I need to get the CG forward (it would also be big enough for a Chihauhau :)).

There must be two slightly different versions of the MM shipping as I was expecting the newer version with the fin-lock design.

I won't stake my life on this, but I think the fin-lock design was phased out. The only thing similar I know of recently is their Quick Switch changeable motor mount system which has shorter tabs (allows different size motor tubes, clusters, etc....)

Back