1st Annual State of JonRocket.com anniv. address

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juaru

Reaction score
Hello all!

I realized this week that we have now been in business one year! We formally announced our "pre - grand opening" on April 1st of last year. (Insert the Flintstones Happy Anniversary song here!)

Here is our original post: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7391&highlight=jonrocket.com

FREE SHIPPING???? Some thought it was merely an April Fools joke, some said it couldn't be done, but so far - so good. Heck, we even added free shipping to CANADA a few months ago. A quick note on the Free Shipping. A month or so ago, using a 10% discount, a customer got his total order down to 20.005. A new record for lowest amount over the 20.00 free shipping plateau!

We started out with the idea of making it possible to get kits from the little guys - the small manufacturer's who aren't in your local hobby shop - and have tried to continue that throughout our first year. During our grand opening we offered kits from Semroc, Starlight, Sunward and Custom. It sure was a lot easier to take inventory back then. We have since added 5 more companies, Microcam video systems and Rocket clocks.

There were a couple of bad ideas along the way - I still can't figure out why we didn't sell more Whitewings gliders, and I may give them another go. But, we have learned from our mistakes and hopefully become wiser.

I think the best thing about starting this business is all the fine folks I have met throughout the year. Rocket people are some of the nicest around. A few people I would like to specifically mention:

Mr. and Mrs. McLawhorn from Semroc: They gave me a chance when nobody else would and I appreciate that. They also happen to be the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

Mike Scopone aka Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack (I'm not giving the URL!): It's nice to know that if you can't take a proper inventory and sell an item you don't have, that there is a COMPETITOR who will ship you what you need immediatly - no questions asked!

Angelo from Sunward Aerospace: Angelo took over Sunward a few months ago and has been a pleasure.

Taras Taratyn of ARG: We don't sell ARG, but would sure like to! Spent a weekend talking with him at NARCON. Thanks for the advice.

Everyone at TRF: Our original ad campaign was essentially a post on TRF introducing ourselves. You guys have bought a lot of stuff, and I WOULD NOT have made it without you. Thanks.

As for the future, we've already signed up with another manufacturer and are considering a couple of others. If you know of a small company that's looking for a sales outlet, feel free to direct them to us.

Also, don't forget to buy from your local hobby shop. But, if they don't have it, give us a look!

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Mike Scopone aka Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack (I'm not giving the URL!): It's nice to know that if you can't take a proper inventory and sell an item you don't have, that there is a COMPETITOR who will ship you what you need immediatly - no questions asked!

John

Thanks for the kind words, none of us is going to die rich doing this. Most of us do it for the love of the hobby and also to spread the fun and learning we have gained to a younger generation.

To quote Yoda
"Pass on what you have learned"

Best wishes for the future!

It has been a pleasure doing business with you. Your kind words about us almost leaves me speechless! (Many would say that is not an easy task!)

Originally posted by Carl
Best wishes for the future!

It has been a pleasure doing business with you. Your kind words about us almost leaves me speechless! (Many would say that is not an easy task!)

Carl
I dont want to steal Johns thunder, but I must agree with him. You gave alot of us a chance to to get our feet wet selling rockets, when nobody would touch us. And you will always hold a special place for a few of us online vendors.

Back