1997 Star Wars X Wing - motor doesn't fit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbwho

Reaction score
I bought a 1997 Estes Star Wars X Wing fighter. He's a big star wars fan and eBay allows time travel!

I noticed the 23 year old motor doesn't fit. Only fits a bit. The plastic tube either had shrunk or the motor expanded slightly?

Or are the tolerance of manufacturing a bit wobbly?

Try a new motor. The plastic tube likely didn't change. Probably the paper casing on the old motor is swelled up.

And kudo's to you for the purchase... that's a cool rocket for sure

Try a new motor. The plastic tube likely didn't change. Probably the paper casing on the old motor is swelled up.

And kudo's to you for the purchase... that's a cool rocket for sure

Agreed - I have motors less than a couple years old that need sanded to fit - the cardboard motor tubes definitely swell.

Also, considering how heavy and draggy that X-Wing is - I have one too - I’d consider either picking up some of the new Estes C5-3 motors or some QJet C12-4s - it’s a marginal flyer on a C6 though it does work, make sure your launch rod is clean and straight, the winds are calm and the chute is well “lubed” with talc.

Last edited:
Just another tip. The shock cord burned through after the first flight. I replaced it with Kevlar string that extended about 6 inches past the opening and tied elastic to that. You don’t need to worry about a zipper with the molded plastic body reinforcing the body tube.

Nola Bar, awesome photo!

Big question: the X Wing ready to fly kit comes with a little brick of clay... But the instructions don't mention what to do with it???

Nola Bar, awesome photo!

Big question: the X Wing ready to fly kit comes with a little brick of clay... But the instructions don't mention what to do with it???

Are you talking about this one EST 1810?

DSCF8608 (FILEminimizer).JPGDSCF8609 (FILEminimizer).JPG

" USE ALL THE CLAY WEIGHT FOR SAFE RECOVERY!

D. Cut the clay into 4 EQUAL pieces.

E. Press one piece of clay into EACH afterburner bay."

Put the entire piece of clay into the nose. You may have to make little small balls to get it in, but use all of it.

Do you have the Red Squadron 13mm version or the RTF that uses 18mm motors?

Put the entire piece of clay into the nose. You may have to make little small balls to get it in, but use all of it.

Do you have the Red Squadron 13mm version or the RTF that uses 18mm motors?
If you have the 18mm version, then the clay gets pressed into the nose. If you have the 13mm version, then see Cape Byron’s post.

Sorry for the confusion! I didn't realize there are so many varieties. Yes I have the little Red Squadron version.

I put in the clay into the afterburners

I ended up buying 2, a shelf queen for my son and one for me to fly...
So we flew mine. It broke a wing and a fin. Luckily since the 1st one is a shelf queen, I have extra fins.

The metal tipped lawn dart innards doesn't seem very safe. I assume it would hurt to plonk on someone's head. The streamer didn't seem to slow it.

Seems nonsense to have the clay in the rear and the metal weight in the nose. Why are both weights needed??

No worries. The one in the photo is the 18mm balsa wing version. It pops the small rear fins on every flight. I just glue them back on.

How many Estes X-Wing varieties are there? The 13mm RTF, 18mm RTF (only as a starter kit??), the catapult version and then the late 70s kit?

Can the catapult version be modified to be a rocket version (with adding fins if needed)?

The little Red Squadron 13mm, the lawn dart set up seems a tad dangerous. The clay in the rear would not help stabilization going up, is the idea for it to go down tail first. Would a safer design to cut the aluminum off and epoxy that into the nose and then use kevlar string to keep the engine cartridge attached? The whole thing is too brittle to modify, just pondering what-ifs.

Last edited:
Back