196% Upscale Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
I completed my 196% Upscale Goblin and test flew it today. I built the airframe using a BT-80, 24mm motor mount, kevlar shock cord, 3/16" basswood fins, and the nose cone from Sandman. It turned out nice using Excelsior decals to finish it off. Finished weight is 10 ounces which is slightly heavier than I wanted, but I wanted the durability of the basswood fins.

Today's flight was in about 5 to 10 mph winds, but it launch straight on the E28-4. Ejection was perfect, and I recovered the Goblin with no damage.

This was my first upscale, so I'm thrilled with the first flight. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

UpscaleGoblinonthePad.jpg

UpscaleGoblinIgnition.jpg

It looks great, but I'll warn you, once you start upscaling, you won't want to stop! :D

That's a great launch shot. How high did it get?

Very nice. Great liftoff shot. Now stuff in an F24 :D

It looks great, but I'll warn you, once you start upscaling, you won't want to stop! :D

have to agree with Randy....Once you start Upscaleing it's really hard to stop.
I went a bit larger at 3X using a standard Estes type BT-101 for my "Hobby Goblin" 5-D12 cluster Upscale. At 41" and 2.11lbs, it does make for some very nice liftoff shots as well:)

Last edited:
Yeah, no kidding. I have a BT-80 Red Max be finished now.

I like the way the Goblin flew last weekend, but I'm not happy with the weight. I used 3/16 basswood for the fins and they were heavier than I expected. I'm going to build a new body with 3/16 hard balsa fins and I think the weight will be way under 10oz. I think fo this power range the 3/16 balsa is plenty strong. I guess I never really noticed it in the smaller fins, but basswood is a lot heavier than balsa. On the new body I also want to use ttw.

I love the paint job on that! One of these days I'll get round to painting and decal-ing my BT80 Goblin upscale. I went with 4x24mm, launching. It's got a 4x24mm booster stage too, but I haven't flown it with it yet. Should make for some fantastic low-staging flights, though.

Phil

_MG_0542s.jpg

I love the paint job on that! One of these days I'll get round to painting and decal-ing my BT80 Goblin upscale. I went with 4x24mm, launching. It's got a 4x24mm booster stage too, but I haven't flown it with it yet. Should make for some fantastic low-staging flights, though.

Phil

Phil, is that the nose cone I made for you 3 freakin' years ago? :confused:

Back