1930's Rocket Model Spaceship: Who makes kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my two attempts at ships with a buck rogers feel, one is an upscale of the Dragonship 7 but designed to glide with R/C control, the second is what I kitted, the Draken where I used the Dragonship tail and wing but moved the wing to the bottom with dihedral and used the old Silver Comet nose cone with the molded cockpit........I think if someone did a Draken in steampunk type finish it would look neat...

IMG_20180101_171156714.jpgIMG_20200124_090950371-2048x1152.jpg

I should check these forums more often.
A long time ago silverrockets.com made 50s style rockets. Now OOP I keep the website up for nostalgia and email purposes. I loved this style having grown up with them on TV well before reality set in. I still feel someone should be making them.

View attachment 413187View attachment 413185
Do you callit the "Orbit Jet" or the "Silver Moon?" Rocky Jones "flew" both and as far as I can tell, they were sister ships, and identical. I made one and called it the Orbit Jet. But I erred because the forward wing should be on the same plane as two of the aft fins, and I put them 45 degrees off. MIne flies on D and E motors. Cs don't cut the mustard.

Actually there were a few small variations depending on what the prop shop felt like doing. The most noticeable was in the rear fins. Most had the leading edge concave but some were convex in shape. The Orbit Jet was Rocky's original ship which was destroyed and her replacement was the Silver Moon. I arbitrarily labelled the convex finned birds Silver Moon because it looked crescent or moon shaped.

In the attached screen grab you can see the difference between the ship lifting off and the ones standing in the background.

Silver Rockets' versions flew on 3 C-5 clusters all the way up to H motors using interchangeable motor mounts. The Orbit Jet in the preceding pic was a chad staged D12-0 to a D12-3 but did best on E-Gs.

Richard

RJ2_046.jpg

I never heard of the company Silver Rockets. How long was it around. The flying Orbit Jet sounds really cool.

I see that there are 2 companies, Fantastic Plastic and Masterpiece Models, that still make solid resin Orbit Jets.

It didn't get very far as I was too concerned with tweaking the build process to advertise but there were a few models sold. Once it all was sorted out then I could concentrate on marketing but thats what never happens when your never satisfied. Go to : silverrockets.com for existing models and those that were planned.

This kind gentleman and his lovely wife modeled the Silver Moon at NARAM 43

Vern&Mrs_Silver-Moon_NARAM43.jpg

Wonderful. I finished a Tom Corbett Polaris, based on the books, not the TV show. Needed repairs after it's first flight15884744839769099858032149676298.jpg. After I finish my Pirate Spaceship I am going back to work on my Space Ark.

Latest posts

Back