18mm AV Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiliv

Reaction score
Need some inspiration for a very small AV bay. 18mm coupler tube, 4" long. It'll host Pnut altimeter initially. But maybe one day I'll go bold and put a GPS and/or dual deploy altimeter in it (of the kind FlightSketch is currently developing).

I gather that the classic design with threaded rods is a no go. Too heavy and would eat too much space.

The rocket this'll go in is a BT20 tube Mach 1 Alien Interceptor.

I have a 24mm and 29mm AV bay using a hatch and permanently glued in bulkheads. The hatch end is slid up into the upper payload bay. The yellow circle is the vent hole (there are 3 equally spaced). The red circle is where I insert removable plastic rivets to hold the bay in place (there are 2).
29mm AV bay.jpg 29mm AV Bay-1.jpg

One hole in each bulkhead and then run your full length kevlar shock cord through both, a knot on both sides so it will not slide on cord but can still remove a bulkhead to service the insides.This way the stress of deployment is tranfered through the full length cord and not through the bulkheeeads.

Back