18ga wire for igniters?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfaBrewer

Reaction score
Courtesy of a vendor screw up, I have a 2500' spool of 18ga 2-strand wire that we can't use here at work. Can I use this for making igniters? Based on everything I've read, 22-26ga is the norm.

Really, I guess the question is - will this be too thick to fit the nozzles of my typical At 29/40-120 reloads?

It will be WAY too thick.

You can confirm that yourself by measuring it or by looking on the web for the dimensions of 18 ga wire and the nozzle dimensions of various motors.

Courtesy of a vendor screw up, I have a 2500' spool of 18ga 2-strand wire that we can't use here at work. Can I use this for making igniters? Based on everything I've read, 22-26ga is the norm.

Really, I guess the question is - will this be too thick to fit the nozzles of my typical At 29/40-120 reloads?

Can you say "Launch Controller"?
Maybe an 'aways away' pad for "Z" motors?
Doll House wiring?
Radiant heating?
An electric car for the really immediate surrounding neighborhood?

Dang- Wish I had vendors like that!

Yeah, and the "bridge wire" (the part that actually heats up) is usually 30 gauge. And of course the bridge has to be high resistance (nichrome); copper won't do. Thicker (but not too thick) gauge copper is good for the lead wires, though. And it's all single strand.

Back