16 Rocket Semi-Simultaneous Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changed to simpler NPN instead of MOSFET. Moved buzzer.
What is the purpose of the 1A fuses in the Nano power (Vin) and the two relay coil circuits? The only fuses required are the 5A in the ignition circuits. I would probably use a 10-12A fuse there, anyway. In fact, I’d just use a single fuse at the battery, not for each ignition circuit.

What is the purpose of the 1A fuses in the Nano power (Vin) and the two relay coil circuits? The only fuses required are the 5A in the ignition circuits. I would probably use a 10-12A fuse there, anyway. In fact, I’d just use a single fuse at the battery, not for each ignition circuit.
Worst case, complete battery short: 10 igniters x 2A each + 1A logic. But I pad the battery fuse to 30A instead of just 21A. If the individual igniter channels fail, 2A each....but I fuse them at 5A. Although 12V automotive relays, none should require 1A on the coils, so pad to 1A. Yeah, once all of the logic chips are included, may have to raise the fuse on the logic stuff.

Since we expect the igniters to burn & bend, leads to fall off....expect shorts on the igniter paths. So why let one channel bring down the whole system? And since we expect these to be temporary, why not let them auto-rest (will take longer for us to go to the launch pads anyway).

Since the bulk of the power is dramatically jumping around due to the relay coils and igniters, shouldn't we protect the light-weight logic parts? I initially was searching for recommendations for a 12V to 9V (Arduino needs at least 6V, prefers 9V) & 5V stepdown... Was advised not to bother (???). Still think I need some kind of buffer....capacitors, resistors, something...

But not doing auto-reset on the battery. If we blow something that large, then we need to stop and figure it out & repair before continuing to operate.

Thanks for any help.

Back