16 Oct 11 launch.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastCargo

Reaction score
After finally getting some cooler weather and rain, we were able to do some local launching at the nearby school. Even so, we didn't start until almost 6PM to take advantage of the setting sun.

This launch was a bit unusual in that except for one rocket, all the rest were "first flights". The field was unoccupied, however, the wind was a little more crosswise to the long axis of the field than usual, so that influenced flight decisions on certain rockets.

On to the flights...photos are here:

Photo album link

I did something new with the camera...setting up the SLR on a tripod and starting the rapid fire picture mode at T-1 on the countdown (since I was launching and taking photos simultaneously). It worked pretty well, only a few rockets were missed on launch. But since the launch was late in the day, the shutter speeds were slower than I like.

Semroc Micron - 1/2A3-4T (no photo) - Modded Micron to fly with 13mm engines. Nice, straight flight and good recovery.

Semroc SAM-3 - A10-3T - Modded SAM-3 to fly with 13mm engines and streamer recovery. Another nice flight...perfect small field flight.

Estes Mini Honest John - A10-3T (no photo) - Modded rocket to use streamer recovery and .2 oz of clay in the nose based on OR sim. Good flight with a bit of 'coning' on the way up. Proper deployment of streamer...on ground contact, nose stuck in ground about 1/2 inch. 1 fin broke at root...but not sure if that due to ground contact or 6 year old being over enthusiastic on recovery effort. Easy repair.

Estes Mini Honest John (mod) - 1/2A3-2T (no photo) - Modded rocket with streamer recovery, airframe layout like original Honest John design (bigger fins, slightly longer BT), and recessed engine mount. No nose weight. Nice flight, uneventful recovery.

Estes Mini Max - 1/2A3-4T - Stock, nice flight.

Estes Space Eagle - B6-0 / 1/2A3-4T - Modded to a two stage like others have done. 18mm to 13mm staging similar to Estes Solar Flare. No nose weight needed. Nice flight, but 2nd stage went significantly higher than I expected. Floated into short tree just outside field...recovered, no damage.

Estes Solar Flare - B6-0 / 1/2A3-4T - Stock. Rocket went cruise missile early in flight before staging. There was enough upward vector after staging that rocket was able to deploy chute before landing in trees just outside field. Recovered, no damage. Reading reviews, it seems this rocket is inconsistently stable among builders...will add some nose weight to increase stable margin.

Estes Mercury Redstone (ST-20 tube based, skill level 4 version) - C6-3 (No photo)- Not flown due to light and wind conditions.

Estes Mercury Redstone (ST-20 tube based, skill level 2 version) - C6-3 (No photo)- Not flown due to light and wind conditions.

Semroc Astron Transport - C6-3 (No photo) - Not flown due to light and wind conditions.

Estes Vector Force - B6-2 - Heavily modified into sport scale Black Brant 12. Great, straight flight with nice close recovery. A fun rocket for the future.

Estes Stormcaster - B6-2 - Used engine adapter to fly with B6-2. Good flight with nice recovery. Perfect for small field demo with slow liftoff, appropriate recovery deployment at apogee, and good, traditional 'pointy' rocket appearance.

FSI Black Brant II clone - D12-5 - Clone of FSI kit, with 'sport scale' changes, including deletion of forward wire antennas and no fin/root edge 'gaps'. Flew with D12-5 to have lower chute deployment altitude. Chute was very late to open (flopped around for a while) so rocket came down quickly but landed sideways. Only minor paint scratch on one fin and upper BT.

Overall good day of flying and good 'break in' of new rockets.. Also, a very good validation of OR simulations. For those models that I ran an OR sim on with their actual empty weights, they flew very close to OR specs. It increases my confidence in using OR for future designs

FC

Last edited:
Nice photos.

You might want to try a slightly faster shutter speed as I noticed just a little blurring on at least one photo. You could increase the ISO to compensate for the faster shutter speed and the lower light that time of day.

Some nice shots and looks like a fun day of flights.

Bumping the ISO would help get the shutter speed up, but adds grain. A couple had blur from speed, but I think some were also focus. The 75-300 lens wide open at f/4 is pretty soft, more speed only makes that worse. Low light is hard to shoot rockets in. The EF50 f/1.8 is fairly inexpensive, reasonably sharp, and opens wiiiiiidddde up. Even shooting at f/2 and cropping, you'll get good results.

I also like to take photos of my launches, but to get them climbing a tripod doesn't work. Short term, I always take someone with me to hit the buttons (5 year olds are great!). But I'm trying to think of a better solo solution. Best I've come up with so far is something foot operated, but I'm not sure exactly how to implement it.

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I didn't link the photos directly in the thread...I haven't figured out how to do that yet in Picasa.

It didn't even occur to me to run in something more than 100 ISO. I'll remember that.

I had been frustrated with the 75-300 lens for a while now. I bought it back 12 years ago when I bought a Canon Rebel 2000 SLR (film). It was good enough back in the day, and I carried over the lenses to the digital Canon I bought later. But I noticed that the photos were not as crisp as some of the digital 'point and shoot' cameras we have. I had the digital SLR checked just to make sure nothing was wrong with it. The lenses need replacing, but I haven't been sure what to buy...there is a lot to select from and I'm not that smart on advancing camera tech.

Thanks for the recommendation.

FC

:y: That Black Brant II is huge!

Yep! Discovered it from here while searching for parts to do a BT-60 based upscale of the classic Estes Black Brant II.

I think this one is much better...:). Modified it to take Estes 24mm engines...though I think there is enough room in the tailcone section to take 29mm engines. Also, saved some money by just buying the full length tubes and cutting them myself, deleting the payload section, and cutting the fins myself from some 3/16 basswood I had already.

Flew great on a D12-5...not too low to worry about recovery system deployment, but not so high that you can't use it on small fields.

FC

Last edited:
Canon's lens lineup can be daunting. They range from $50 to 30,000. All depends on how crazy you wanna get. Prime (non zoom) will generally be sharper than zooms, Esp in low light. L series lens, even the zooms, are really sharp. Used 70-200 f/4 L can be found used under 350. Checkout any local shops used sections for good deals. I've picked up a few that way, and they're always willing to haggle. Grabbed an 18-55IS for my girlfriend that way. Got them to split it out of a used kit for $50.

The 100-300 is a bit sharper than the 75-300s. The 75-300 IS is slightly better as well. The 50mm f/1.8 is nice, but hard to use indoors (it's a tight crop inside). It was one of my favorite lenses for a long time. 28-135 IS is a fun lens, but can be pricy. If you have any specific questions, shoot me a pm.

Could also setup a remote flash with some radio triggers off eBay for pretty cheap :)

Back