Quantcast

16" Nosecone and tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

MitchR

Air Defender
Reaction score
Very interested in buying a 16" nosecone and tubes for a project. Someone with lots of time on their hands, tubes they never used for that special project or with information on a contact who has something of this caliber for reasonable cost would love to hear about it.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
search for Red Thread tubing by smith brothers fibercast. I am looking at getting some. Its a good strong fiberglass tube.

Ben

MitchR

Air Defender
Reaction score
Wow this company is fantastic, thanks for the reference!

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Wow this company is fantastic, thanks for the reference!
I haven't reciever anything back from my local dealer about 30min from here. I set an E-mail to find out how much Curtis's 16" stuff is.

Ben

MitchR

Air Defender
Reaction score
I got to thinking, regarding building your own 16" nosecone do you guys have any good links to show ways of doing it? I remember reading a build thread a long time ago that was really good but I haven't seen much material since.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
I got to thinking, regarding building your own 16" nosecone do you guys have any good links to show ways of doing it? I remember reading a build thread a long time ago that was really good but I haven't seen much material since.
I am going to have to make mine out of foam and fiberglass it. Then make a mold and make a fiberglass cone.

Ben

Mike Mooney

Reaction score
Why don't you guys get some sono tube and fiberglass it I think it would be much cheaper then buying stuff from either of those sources

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Why don't you guys get some sono tube and fiberglass it I think it would be much cheaper then buying stuff from either of those sources
Sonotube would work but the advantages of fiberglass are pretty large. On the 24" project I am working on the WHOLE rocket can be bolted together on the field. The only glue is where we fiberglassed/sandwiched the fins. 1/8" G10 on each side of 1/2" birch.

The fins, Cr's, Ebay and motor retention etc. are all bolted together at the field

Ben

dave carver

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Reaction score
And the disadvantages of sonotube is the wax or parafin or whatever they use as a release agent.

I talked with a manufacturer of sono tube. They wanted extra for leaving the coating off:p

ben_ullman

Reaction score
And the disadvantages of sonotube is the wax or parafin or whatever they use as a release agent.

I talked with a manufacturer of sono tube. They wanted extra for leaving the coating off:p
Actually 90% of the tubes out there have the coating on the INSIDE!!! Not the outside. Its not as big of a deal on the inside.

Ben

dave carver

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Reaction score
....yes, Ben, I know this.:rolleyes: And it's a "big deal" if you need to get your epoxy to stick. The manual scraping, peeling, sanding, whatever, IS a PITA anyway you look at it.

It just comes under the heading of "I Could Be Doing Something Else Instead Of Scraping Wax".;)

ben_ullman

Reaction score
....yes, Ben, I know this.:rolleyes: And it's a "big deal" if you need to get your epoxy to stick. The manual scraping, peeling, sanding, whatever, IS a PITA anyway you look at it.

It just comes under the heading of "I Could Be Doing Something Else Instead Of Scraping Wax".;)
ok ill buy that :p I was looking at it from the glassing standpoint