• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 16’ RAIL LAUNCHER, HIGHLY PORTABLE AND RIGID

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercloud

Reaction score
This is a big launcher that takes up very little storage space. It uses stakes and cables for a light weight but very strong setup. The T-shaped aluminum framework supports the rail a good distance up to make the rail more rigid as well. Comes with two 8-foot sections of double-deep 1” wide extruded aluminum rail, but can accept single or double deep 1.5” rail too.

I originally designed it to launch my 7.5” diameter L-powered Thundercloud rocket, for which it worked very well. I used Unistrut back then. I ended up tossing out the Unistrut thinking I would switch to 1.5” double deep aluminum rail, but never did. Instead I got some 1” aluminum rail and used the setup to launch TARC rockets for local schools. For the TARC rockets I switched from cables to self-retracting straps for convenience. The pictures show it used with 4-straps, but I found it much easier to setup and adjust when using 6-straps.

For high power use, cables are the best choice because powerful rocket exhaust would burn nylon straps. I suppose nomex sheaths could be put over the straps, but I still think cables would be better, so that is what I plan to include instead of the straps.

The aluminum “T” will clear a 7.5” diameter 4-finned rocket with a total fin span of 24”, and many other body/fin combinations. I have this launcher drawn up in AutoCAD if you have a large rocket in mind and want to ensure everything will clear.

The base is thick G9 fiberglass plate and is anchored to the ground with four round stakes with nice ball-shaped handles. The pivot is a large spherical rod end. The outboard stakes are 1” x 1” x 1/8” steel angle, double thick at the top to withstand repeated pounding by a hammer. Included will be six outboard stakes and six 1/8” stainless steel cables with long-travel aluminum-bodied turnbuckles. All of the stakes, cables and hardware fit in an average size toolbox (included).

Please contact me if you are interested, and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• Big Launcher 1.JPG
    Big Launcher 1.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 398
  • Big Launcher 2.jpg
    Big Launcher 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 364
  • ALUMINUM T-SLOTTED.pdf
    78.3 KB · Views: 27
I am just selling this one. If someone is interested, I will have to make one stake (I only have 5 matching now) and six cable assemblies.

How much do you want for it, and can you guestimate the shipping? I'm not firmly interested, but this information may help kick me off the fence.

I would like $300 for the launcher plus shipping. If you give me a city and zip code, I will do an estimate on shipping.

If someone is looking for a killer 1010+ rail launcher, I still have this one. I am negotiable on price.

I'm interested. Can you give an estimate on shipping to Coosada, Alabama 36020.

I will work on an estimate, it will probably be Monday evening, if that is OK.

It turns out that the UPS store was still open, and I called with dimensions and weights. It would have to ship in four packages, and while the weight is low, the volume is high. They told me $265 total, which is probably a deal breaker. This might be one of those "local pickup only" items.

you might want to check shipping rates on the UPS site. them stores are independant franchises and one way the owners make money is off of people that come in for shipping.online prices are always less expensive. their packaging prices are just as crazy.
also may want to check out the price through greyhound.

I have a UPS shipping account and usually print labels at home. One time I forgot and went to the UPS store I drop my packages at to ship it. They charges me $60+, I went home thinking I got over charged. So I created a label for they same shipment... $29.

Thank you for these good suggestions. I also have some complete rockets that I want to sell, so I need to get smart on shipping bulky items. Right now I'm too busy to do the research, but when I get serious about selling again, I'll try all of these options.

If you find a way to ship with a more affordable option, let me know. I would really like to have that launcher.

I'll have some time next weekend. I'll take another try at getting the cost down.

It turns out my brother has a FedEx account, and along with a little creative packaging, I was able to cut the shipping in half. We were able to make a deal, consider this sold.

Back