13mm Qubit is the best deal in rocketry =) Some questions too...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimlock3000

Reaction score
Last night I picked up some A10PT motors and decided to try building one of the free 13mm Qubit from Art Applewhite. Anyone can download the rocket from here, and print it out on one sheet of card stock: https://www.artapplewhite.com/qubit.pdf/ The first Qubit went together so good, I decided to build two more before the night was over :p I painted each one with some new spray cans to check the colors (before I ruin a rocket that cost money). These things look really sweet once painted, and are sure to be attention grabbers the next time I go flying.

I used 110 weight cardstock and Elmer's Wood Glue to build the Qubits. I had a slight problem in that the outer edges curve down slightly as everything dries, then I have to bend them back a bit, and I am left with bending lines on the Qubits where the glue area is:

q1.jpg

Is there any trick to making perfectly flat sides? Also, if the edges are bent a bit, do I have to worry or will they fly fine anyway?

One thing I noticed as well is that the stock motor mount in the .PDF file was a bit too small for my engines. It was only about .5mm off, but I could not get the A10PT in it no matter what. It could just be something with my printer scale. I found that wrapping the engine mount around a spent motor helps to make sure it is exactly the right size, so test fit before gluing.

I am excited to go flying these soon. I feel pretty confident that I can launch these from a lawn and get them back without much trouble. And it one gets tuck in a tree, it was free. Here is a shot of the business end:

q2.jpg

:)

I've built several of these to launch in my front yard. As for your slight problem with warping sides, I would suggest that instead of using the wood glue, try getting one of those glue sticks that are available in any office supply section.

I brought the yellow Qubit to work for a coworked to see and have been throwing it around the halls. It flies pretty good and is a lot more stable than I thought it would be, three hours until I can go out and fly them... :D

I can just imagine how much fun the 13 and 18mm qubits can be for the several fights I've had with my set of micro qubits. and par of dice qutis: they don't go super high but are a real crowd pleaser:)

I just slapped together a cubits myself . but I didn't paint mine I used colored file folders .Used a yellow folder and have pink, orange purple and red. So w/ an A10-PT motor about how high will a cubits go?

I'm starting a Model Rocketry Youth Group in my church for 12 kids ages 11 and up this Saturday and plan on having demo flights as part of the class using a Snitch B6-0 and now a Cubits A10-PT. Should be cool for the kids ,some do not have a lot of money so for $5.00 for motors and a free rocket ,should the kids decide to take up the hobby. The cost is within there reach. Will post pictures when class in finished . Launch day is June 5th.

BAR:)
John

I got in some Qubit flights after work. Unfortunately it was drizzling a bit so my larger rockets were grounded, but since the Qubits are free, they were perfect for getting a bit wet. With the A10PT, they get up to about 100 feet, maybe a bit more, the flights are very dramatic and fun to watch. Every recovery went well and the rocket landed point down in the (wet) grass each time. We got in 4 perfect flights with my yellow Qubit even with the soaked field, then it started to get water logged. The 5th flight was with a A10-3 (not reccomended). Somehow, the ejection charge did nothing except shoot the engine out the back of the rocket. I suspect the wetness of the rocket helped here. We went for one last flight on a A10-3. This time, the wet Qubit tore as it came off the rod, got poor altitude, and fell back to the ground quick. Ejection happend on the ground and blew a nice hole in the top of the rocket since the motor stayed in this time. The whole area was drenched so there was no fear of a ground fire or anything. I can not wait to go flying the Qubits again, hopefully in some better weather. These rockets really do stay close to the launch pad as well, aside from the last flight, I never had to walk more than 20 or 30 feet to pick one up.

I've just printed some of these out , they look realy cool! I've seen the 24mm version , and if the 13mm ones are anything like it , there AWESOME! :p
-Karl

I picked up a bunch of colored file folder from Staples.
So now my next batch will not require paint. More than likley I will clear coat to give these baby's a little protection.

BAR
JOHN

Im just making the Micromaxx & 13mm versions on 1mm cardstock as I speak , pretty easy to assemble! Get some if you can! A10-P motors are no more over here :(
Karl

Back