13mm fiberglass tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it would lift the entire 3ft but it *might* lift 6in of it. I think CF might be a better option at this size due to the weight. Closest I can find in CF is 3/4" ID at $25/ft that would work for 18mm. Or you know.....cardboard tubes.

The FG tubes that are used in FAI competitions are hand-rolled over a mandrel. Not a commercial item AFAIK.

"MD project"?

If you need more strength/stiffness but increasing the diameter and mass a bit would be OK, you could consider wrapping 3/4 oz glass cloth around a paper 13mm tube, using a good quality epoxy resin. Just I can't tell from your posts what the specific need is for a fiberglass tube.

Worst-case, 13mm drill rod could be used as a mandrel for making an all fiberglass tube. After a good coating with spray on mold release before layup, the ID of the resulting tube should work for holding a 13mm engine.

Having personally made all-glass competition tubes, I can vouch that it's a certain amount of work. Usually you do it to *reduce* mass - 3 wraps of 0.7 oz cloth will end up at around 1/2 the mass of a paper tube but it's pretty fragile and bendy. You can use more wraps or heavier cloth to get a sturdier tube, or just glass over a paper tube like George said. You'll get a stronger tube doing that if you peel off the glassine layer first (if there is one).

Back