---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone has seen any of them yet, so I guess vaporware. But spring 2009 is not here yet.

if think the slogan coming spring 2009 should be replaced with coming back srring 2009.
still its nice to see some of those retro kits back in production.

FYI
https://www.estesrockets.com/classicflyer.pdf

Coming Spring 2009:

Alien Invader
3009 Chuter 2
3012 Excalibur II
3013 Flutter-By
3016 Long Tom
3022 Payloader II
3024 Phoenix Bird
Photon Disruptor
3026 Photon Probe
3027 Satellite Interceptor
3031 Star Trooper
3033 Twister
3036 Marauder
3037 Hornet
3038 Thunder Hawk
3039 Thunder Bird
3040 Thunder Roc

Coming Summer 2009:

ARV Condor 3001
Aero Dyne 3002
America 3004
Arrow 300 3005
Astron Nighthawk 3006
Astron Space Plane 3007
Astron X-Ray 3008
Blue Bird Zero 3041
Eagle Power 3010
Egg Crate 3011
Flying Saucer 3014
Groove Tube 3015
Micro Probe 3017
Mini Dactyl 3018
Nova 3019
Odyssey 3020
Optima 3021
Pegasus 3023
Phoenix Bird 3024
Sky Devil 3028
SST Shuttle 3029
Starship Vega 3030
Stellar Photon Probe 3032
U.S.S. America 3034
X-24 Bug 3035

I've heard they've already pushed the Spring releases back to Summer :rolleyes:.

Deja vu?

Didnt' we all discuss this last year? on TRF 1.0?!

And some have seen / purchased the Der Red MAx in a few stores already..

Deja vu?

Didnt' we all discuss this last year? on TRF 1.0?!

And some have seen / purchased the Der Red MAx in a few stores already..

That is Der Red Max. What is shown above is Der Mini Max. At under 10" tall. Why, is anyone's guess.

I've heard they've already pushed the Spring releases back to Summer :rolleyes:.

That doesn't come as any surprise. Seems like this is a fairly common practice with Estes of late. Advertise a great new rocket or "idea" and then delay release...sometimes indefinitely .. bcause something falls through. The never-to-be-released Shrox kits come to mind.

I talked with a guy at AC Supply a few weeks ago and he said that Estes is going to move production back to the good old USA! The price and delays to have all products tested for lead is killing them. It will be cheaper in the long run to just make them here. If this is true, it could explain the delays. Of course, lead testing will do that too.

It it happens, I hope that they get some national attention for doing it. Hopefully more companies will start pulling out of China as well.

Fellas every business I know is now scaling back or slowing down. It's whats going on these days.
Cheers
fred

Fellas every business I know is now scaling back or slowing down. It's whats going on these days.
Cheers
fred

True, though Dane Boles told me a long time ago that Estes generally did better during recessions. But then that was three recessions ago so I guess things might have changed in the WalMart-based economy.

I talked with a guy at AC Supply a few weeks ago and he said that Estes is going to move production back to the good old USA! The price and delays to have all products tested for lead is killing them. ....

I would be careful of believing that. It would cost them way more for producing the kits in the US.

As for testing, it wouldn't be as expensive as implied. And not a reason to move production.

Couple of things I noticed on the linked page.

1. Most of the kits say "coming May 09"

2. Down in the engine chart, the only booster motor listed is the D12-0. Did I miss something? I seem to recall something about the B6-0 being discontinued, but I may have also heard it was being brought back.....I don't ever remember hearing the C6-0 was gone????

I talked with a guy at AC Supply a few weeks ago and he said that Estes is going to move production back to the good old USA! The price and delays to have all products tested for lead is killing them. It will be cheaper in the long run to just make them here. If this is true, it could explain the delays. Of course, lead testing will do that too.

It it happens, I hope that they get some national attention for doing it. Hopefully more companies will start pulling out of China as well.

Yes, they are doing testing.

They (like most businesses) do calculations to figure out where it is best to maufacture. When fuel prices were at their all time high the calculations may have tilted torward USA. They may have tilted back to China. We'll see what shows up (and when) and then we'll know where it came from.

Just put the parts in a bag, no face card, nothin' fancy. We can download the instructions. In todays electronic age, we can get all the info we need off the net. That should save a ton o' money. Shoot, how much did they save by not making a catalog last year.

Or, just don't say anything until you are actually ready to start producing and shipping.

Just put the parts in a bag, no face card, nothin' fancy. We can download the instructions. In todays electronic age, we can get all the info we need off the net.

This would work for most people. Sounds ok to me, but plenty would surely complain about having to use their own ink and paper to print instructions. Hobby stores want pretty facecards and clear instructions, else they won't bother. Then you have legal implications if some numbskull builds it improperly and blames the manufacturer for not including the proper wording with the kit. I just don't think a company as large as Estes could get away with it.

And being that much of Estes business is in-store sales, a bag of parts with no color face card would be impossible to sell... I know I would not purchase them that way for our stores stock.

Maybe I'll call Barry and ask what's going on?

Actually, over on YORF, there's a strong rumor going around about Auntie-E that may bring them back in full good grace.

The Reflector rocket in that link resembles the Centuri Aero-Dart with a larger dia. payload capsule and cone.

I'd like to see the Phoenix Bird 3024 reintroduced with the original dia. plastic nose cone and plastic bulkhead instead of the balsa parts they mentioned.

Last edited:
So, has anyone actually seen any of these kits in their local stores, on the shelves?
Are these now going to be a 2010 release?

At iHobby the placards, and a woman named Debra, was telling me that all of these kits would be coming out in 2010.

Of course many of these kits were also at iHobby with a slated release date of 2008, then 2009, etc. you get the picture.

Oh, Young Guys, I have been flying "Green" Rockets for yours. I have always made mine from Biodegradable Balsa Wood, Paper, plastic that breaks down, and small rustable parts.

So what is new?

Nothin'

Andrew From Texas

I would be careful of believing that. It would cost them way more for producing the kits in the US.

As for testing, it wouldn't be as expensive as implied. And not a reason to move production.
Your right. Nobody here will work a 16 hour day for a bowl of rice and some rat meat:roll:

True, though Dane Boles told me a long time ago that Estes generally did better during recessions. But then that was three recessions ago so I guess things might have changed in the WalMart-based economy.

It got me back in it! Rocketry turns out to be a cheap fun day with the kids.;)

The 3038 Thunder Hawk, 3039 Thunder Bird and 3040 Thunder Roc were also made by Centuri. I actually still have an old Thunder Hawk minus the fins.

Last edited:
I think I saw one of the new Estes offerings this weekend.

There was a kit that I don't remember seeing before called the "Gold Strike."
The header card also said something about the kit being a 'recession fighter,' apparently because it had an extra kit packaged inside (13mm mini-rocket)
The extra kit was prominently labeled on the card as "FREE"

Now, the whole thing cost some $22. What's wrong with that, you ask? The Gold Strike appears to be about the same thing as a Chrome Dome, part for part, same size, same sparkly BT wrap, same plastic fins, etc.
That makes for a pseudo-Chrome Dome that is twice the price of a Chrome Dome.

Don't know about you guys, but this leaves me wondering what the heck were they thinking? Is the second rocket in the package not really free? What exactly is the definition of 'recession fighter' in Penrose? Is there something gold-plated inside that bag?

Has anyone else seen this? Is this really the going price for a "bargain" in your area?

What store did you see it in?

Was your double price statement based upon the Chrome Dome price at that store or at Wal-Mart or michaels with a coupon?

Have you compared the actual manufacturer's suggested retail price for both the Gold Strike and the Chrome Dome?

I think I saw one of the new Estes offerings this weekend.

There was a kit that I don't remember seeing before called the "Gold Strike."
The header card also said something about the kit being a 'recession fighter,' apparently because it had an extra kit packaged inside (13mm mini-rocket)
The extra kit was prominently labeled on the card as "FREE"

Now, the whole thing cost some $22. What's wrong with that, you ask? The Gold Strike appears to be about the same thing as a Chrome Dome, part for part, same size, same sparkly BT wrap, same plastic fins, etc.
That makes for a pseudo-Chrome Dome that is twice the price of a Chrome Dome.

Don't know about you guys, but this leaves me wondering what the heck were they thinking? Is the second rocket in the package not really free? What exactly is the definition of 'recession fighter' in Penrose? Is there something gold-plated inside that bag?

Has anyone else seen this? Is this really the going price for a "bargain" in your area?

The header card also said something about the kit being a 'recession fighter,' . . . .

Don't know about you guys, but this leaves me wondering what the heck were they thinking?

It's a recession fighter for Estes!! :)

Wonderful marketing. Make the product appear to be two for the price of one but charge two for the price of three. Estes will be out of this recession in no time!

Back