• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

13" South Bend Lathe - Local Pickup in Ballston Lake, NY - $1,500

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
It's with a heavy heart that I am selling my South Bend 13" swing metal lathe with 6-foot bed. Working condition and sees regular use. We're in the process of buying a new house and there isn't a great space for this beast, so I'm looking to give it a new home! Don't worry, it will be replaced with a smaller lathe so I can continue making components. I know it's probably a long shot to find a buyer on TRF but you never know until you try.

Machine has a 1 HP motor wired 110V (220V capable with a rewire) which runs smoothly in forward and reverse. Feeds are all functional and strong. Includes original belt, original barrel switch, 3-jaw and 4-jaw South Bend chucks, and quick change tool post and 7 tool holders. I am including the red tool cart from Harbor Freight (stock on bottom shelf not included, but I can include at a price).

Lathe serial number is 8190TKL14. Lathe includes larger 1.375" spindle through hole, quick change gear box, back gears, and 6 foot bed. Chip tray was added under ways, has drain for coolant.

Tools also include:

- BXA Quick Change Tool Post with 7 various holders
- Set of 12 different boring bars, some brand new
- Set of 5 5/8" cutting tools with carbide inserts, 3 of 5 brand new
- large and small tailstock drill chucks
- Steady rest from a Japanese lathe (works just fine, but is not original)
- Steady rest bed spacer for a customer steady rest
- Live center
- Oiling can
- Two chuck keys

Come check it out! Local pick up only. Assistance will be provided but primary responsibility for removal and loading will be on buyer. Lathe is in basement with straight shot out door into garage, ~10'.

I've made dozens and dozens of 29mm, 38mm, 54mm, and 76mm motors on this lathe. You can count that this has what you need seeing as I am a rocketeer as well!

Asking $1,500 from a fellow rocketeer.

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

I think you're going about this all wrong- shouldn't you be buying the new house based around the lathe?

"I'm sorry honey, it's a nice house and all, but without a 4 car garage and heated 20x40 shed, it's just not going to work"

I think you're going about this all wrong- shouldn't you be buying the new house based around the lathe?

"I'm sorry honey, it's a nice house and all, but without a 4 car garage and heated 20x40 shed, it's just not going to work"

There's room, just not ideal working space. It will tag along if we get the house but I will continue to try to sell it either way.

I'd love a South Bend Heavy 10 with 3' bed...anyone out there want to swap?

Who wouldn't like a Heavy 10?...VFD gearhead goodness and much lighter at only 543 lb. Now I have to quit salivating.

Gah, would be a nice upgrade from my Logan 200 for sure... and I'll be in Rochester in two weeks. But I don't have a way to load it, and really the time or money. Oh well. Nice machine though! The spindle bore makes me salivate.....

I'm pretty sure I have a buyer, but I'm not going to completely take it off the market.

Back