$13.99 good price for Mustang?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefish

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Bob and I am a BAR. :) I'm new to posting on the forum but have been lurking for a few months. Just wanted to let everyone know about the awesome deal I found on an Aerotech Mustang at Hobby Hobby. I got the Hobby Lobby coupon that was for 50% off on rocket kits, so I stopped by the nearest store to look around and maybe pick up an Executioner. They were out of it, so I was kind of bummed. On my way out, I noticed a clearance table and saw the Mustang kit. I looked at the price and about crapped. I couldn't believe it was marked on clearance for $13.99. I tried to use the 50% off coupon with it, but they said no dice since it was already marked down. Oh well, I thought it was worth a try. ;) As a joke, I told my wife I got it for her as a Valentines present. The problem is, she was actually excited about it and wants to build it. I guess we will have to make it a team project.

I just got back into rocketry with my kids after about 27 years or so and have been doing a lot of reading to catch up on the changes since my A - D Estes motor days. We attended the Tripoli Mid-Ohio launch back in November and the whole family thought it was pretty cool. I had several old Estes rockets in the basement, so the kids and I started fixing them up and launching them. I guess we are hooked. :rolleyes:

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and beam about the great deal I got on what I have heard is a great mid power rocket.

Bob Conaway

Very cool! Man, that's amazing! Welcome to the forum, by the way. Tripoli mid-ohio is a great group of guys - Gary is awesome. Hey - when their flying season is over, keep Quark in mind. We currently launch in Westchester, north of Cincinnati. quark.org for more information. Hope to see you out there this summer!

Anyway - you're also very lucky to have a wife who likes the hobby, and will not soon be a "rocket widow"...lol Congratulations!

Loopy

And welcome to TRF, too!

If you just got back into rocketry after being gone 27 years, let us give you a quick re-cap, since you may have trouble finding motors for your new toy. A couple years ago Aerotech had a fire (that's a whole 'nother story) and production of composite motors came to a screeching halt. This lasted waaay too long, and AT has just recently re-started production. So you may run into a few difficulties in finding what you want, at least as far as anyone local to you who tries to carry inventory hanging on a rack.
You will probably have better luck (at least, right now) with mail-ordering your motors from one of the big online hobby suppliers. There are recent threads here on TRF on that subject, and maybe the guys who are more familiar with it can pipe in here and give suggestions.

Great price on the AT Mustang. I don't own one but everyone I know that has that rocket loves it!

Welcome to TRF...

Welcome to TRF!!!

Dude! $14 for a Mustang is a spectacular deal! Do they have any more? I would gladly send you money for the rest of them. Mustangs are my most favorite rocket. Don't worry if it is hard finding loads for 'em, the Mustang is as beautiful flying as she is sitting on your bedroom counter. I should know, I've owned 3 of them. :)

BTW: The E18-4w from Aerotech was absolutely made for the Mustang. A very popular load that Aerotech is working to ramp back up production on.

So, have fun with your excellent deal! :D

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Loopy - I checked the website you mentioned (link was bad, but I found it) and didn't see anything about upcoming launches. Let me know where I might find info on dates and times, as we would be interested in attending.

powderburner - Fortunately I work in Worthington Ohio, which is not too far from Magun Rockets. I have already visited Ross a couple of time for supplies and motors for a scratch built rocket I put together. Have not got to fly it yet though. I like to vist the shop and look around and pick up what I need. Save's me shipping too. :)

PGerringer - I actually asked if they had any other Aerotech rockets they were reducing, because I figured I would let folks on here know about them. Unfortunately, this was the last one and I doubt there will be more. This is the only Aerotech product I have seen in the Hobby Lobby stores around here. I think somebody found it in the back room and decided to put it out cheap to get rid of it. I will keep an eye out for any other bargains and gladly pick up anything that I see a deal on and pass it on if I can't use it.

NewEntity1 - Can't part with the wife. Sorry. :D She actually supports my other passtime of fishing, and is quite an accomplished bass fisherman... fisherwoman... fisherperson... Ahhh whatver, she fishes pretty good. :cool:

Again, thanks for the welcome and I am sure I will be posting questions and comments on here as this new found thrill of rocketry continues to snowball.

Bob

I'm jealous! A Mustang for $14?? I thought I had gotten a steal when I picked up one for $23 at a HL 50% off sale. (It was marked $46 as a clearance item, but they DID honor the 50% off)

As for a supporting wife, I am lucky to have one also. She follows along to all launches and usually offers "suggestions" on kits and paint schemes. She has expressed interest in building, but hasn't doen it yet.

Originally posted by horsefish
PGerringer - I actually asked if they had any other Aerotech rockets they were reducing, because I figured I would let folks on here know about them. Unfortunately, this was the last one and I doubt there will be more. This is the only Aerotech product I have seen in the Hobby Lobby stores around here. I think somebody found it in the back room and decided to put it out cheap to get rid of it. I will keep an eye out for any other bargains and gladly pick up anything that I see a deal on and pass it on if I can't use it.

Curses! That is always my luck. :) Well, let us know if they find anything else in the back room. LOL...

Ross at Magnum is a great guy. I've only visited him once but he has always hooked me up with the best stuff.

Oops - you're right. I accidentally put in the wrong link...(mental note - check the link after you post it, idiot..)

Okay, here's the RIGHT link...quarkers.org . On the right hand side of the screen there is a box that says "Scheduled VOA Launches" that has our launch schedule. They're launching this weekend, and it's pretty much every other weekend for launches. It'll be a little while before I'm back out, though - gotta wait for the warmer weather with my boys...lol

Loopy

Loopy, I found the launch dates. Thanks. My boys (4 and 7) do alot of ice fishing with me, so they have the clothes to bundle up for a launch no matter what the weather. I may try to head down to the launch this weekend. Have to decide between that and my bass fishing club meeting. :)

Back