12 hour solar eclipse with local totally near midnight? Fascinating

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Journalists are good at typos. Their editors no longer seem to proof read their stories.. Or the journalists even seem to make blatant mistakes & not check their given facts or check to see if what was said makes sense....

Journalists are good at typos. Their editors no longer seem to proof read their stories.. Or the journalists even seem to make blatant mistakes & not check their given facts or check to see if what was said makes sense....

Yup, drives me crazy when I'm watching the local nightly news and their banner splashes have typos in them.

I have a couple of friends in, or connected to, the newspaper business. They are less than skeletons of what they once were. Many newspapers now employ zero photographers (think about that for a minute) and have reduced the editorial staff to just a handful of people. Newspapers are not "edited" at all the way we grew up thinking that they were.

Growing trend. When universities focused on politics rather than education, well, this is what happens. You get journalism graduates with horrible grammar that can't spell or proofread.

Anyways, I'll be taking a trip down to Kentucky to try and get in the center of the longest, darkest part of the eclipse. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime event.

The best are the reports of drug busts.. "4kg of [drug] with an estimated street value of $14 million.." So, this particular drug costs more than plutonium per dose..

I won't dis the writer too much since with my health the mess it has become there are days every 5th word is a typo for me. Wrote page and it turned out author was our little burg's Tourism Director who I know through our little bitty model train club, which has space in a city building.
And it brings to mind way back in mid 1990s when one week at AT&T my shift began at 1 for four days and 11 on one day - would it be astonishing that I was 2 hours late on that one 11 day?
(I still swear AT&T actually stands for Abundant Trial & Tribulation and the residential accounts computer program RCAM was Random Crashes Are Maximized. I had a list like that posted for the 4 to 6 programs we used and one day the rest of our group though I was going to be gone after the center director saw it, turned out she found it hilarious, and not entirely inaccurate)

Also reminds me of a few designers / mech engineers I've worked with. No longer is drafting a trade, or a course of study, but a mere 1 semester course in their 3yr curriculum. There is no more 'art' to the drawing, just views arranged on paper with dimensions randomly assigned. They forget it's a language they're trying to speak!

... No longer is drafting a trade, or a course of study, but a mere 1 semester course in their 3yr curriculum. There is no more 'art' to the drawing, just views arranged on paper with dimensions randomly assigned. They forget it's a language they're trying to speak!

I think it started going downhill when CAD started taking over. I learned Architectural and Mechanical Drafting in High School using pencils, T-Squares and Triangles. I was pretty good at it. But computers were starting to find their way into the classroom and we had 1 CAD computer that even the teacher didn't know how to use. At the time, I wanted nothing to do with computers so I never pursued a drafting career like I had intended to do.

they corrected it.
when who turned out to be Katie emailed me back at 9 this morning she said she shortly would.
And added;
Forrest,

I appreciate your feedback on the eclipse event that we have on our website and I will make sure to fix that it reads 1:11pm and not 11:11pm. It appears I accidentally hit the 1, one to many times, lol. There will be several events going on all over town and in the days leading up to the event that we will help list out as all the groups and organizations get their complete plans together. We are also working on a separate landing page just for eclipse information that should be going live soon and it will be linked through our website and we will be able to take reservations for parking and camping as we are anticipating at least doubling in population for this event. The chamber has information on their website as well and they will focus on the local populations and our site will focus on visitors coming in from out of town to stay the weekend for the event. So stay tuned tuned in for more information to come.

Thank you again,

Katie Gibson

Tourism Director

City of Boonville

660-882-3967

[email protected]

One of the guys in my club does astronomy at Marshall SFC. He's been promoting the eclipse since February. It'll be fun!

Also reminds me of a few designers / mech engineers I've worked with. No longer is drafting a trade, or a course of study, but a mere 1 semester course in their 3yr curriculum. There is no more 'art' to the drawing, just views arranged on paper with dimensions randomly assigned. They forget it's a language they're trying to speak!

There is still art in comp aided designs, and in creating tech drawings from them. There are professional CAD designers that make amazing drawings. And there are engineers that just need to get a simple drawing out to start a conversation. New technology and software allows that flexibility. With any skill, you are only as good as the time you invest in developing yourself in it.

The language has changed (as things tend to do).

My dad was a draftsman, but I don't know the first thing about that profession (other than the old grid board and tools were fun to mess with).
Fast forward to my "mere 1 semester course" as an undergrad that introduced me to engineering modeling/drawing. I liked it, I paid attention, and although my job doesn't require it, I practice and learn more on my own. Any student in those courses will learn the basics and guidelines for effective technical communication. Some will go on to be experts, others will just take what they need to get by.

Just like graphic design (another tech skill that I've heard scoffed at), individuals can develop themselves in it to a lesser or greater extent, and there is an art to it.

Back